• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sharpshooter overpopulation

I know, hence I don't get personally the huge fuzz about it or the "huge" recoil it supposedly has :p

i figured that since i think you play RO right?

If it were a public game, I doubt it. Especially when you take into account how people often lack target priorization or proper positioning in the first place.

exactly. that's why i want to see some evidence of this overwhelming success of the 6 level6 SS m14 spam. :D

I don't use the laser. I use the ironsight, and it's terrible. It's like the M16's sight in COD4- nearly unusable.

the ironsight is realistic, actually a bit smaller than reality since it is actually modeled off the EBR not the original m14.

original m14 rear ironsights:
PA180050.jpg

EBR rear ironsight:
iron%20sights_pic_Low%20rings.JPG

crappy CoD m14 rear ironsight: notice how "open" it is
post-98084-1225224008.png

i'll take a screen of the m14 in KF when i get the chance

Shot00005.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OH LOL. I almost though you got a replica or the actual gun.

Reminds me that I do have airsoft M14 and as much as they're not often good source for diffrent things, the ironsight is quite identical to the 'original M14' pic posted by bswearer... and I still don't find that sight problematic.

I honestly guess I've been meddling too much with deactivated guns, replica guns and some airsoft guns + played too many games with more or less diffrent ironsights that it simply doesn't cause any issues anymore. :p

Upvote 0
Haven't read the whole thread since there's a ton of posts. But, if I were to nerf the M14 here's what I would do:

Keep the 20 round magazines.

Lower the damage slightly (nothing too drastic, just make it so it takes more than 3 headshots to drop a scrake on hard mode+ with its rate of fire).

Lower the maximum amount of magazines one can carry from 14 to 4 when the gun has a 20 round mag loaded.

The rate of fire and the laser sight would be unchanged, but being able to carry 300 rounds of ammo for that thing is just game breaking at this point. Drop that amount to 100, and I think people will be a bit more careful about how they expend their ammunition. Part of the reason that SS is OP right now is the fact that they can just spam primary fire without aiming at all and still take out the biggest baddest specimens the game throws at you with minimal effort.

Upvote 0
Haven't read the whole thread since there's a ton of posts. But, if I were to nerf the M14 here's what I would do:

Lower the damage slightly (nothing too drastic, just make it so it takes more than 3 headshots to drop a scrake on hard mode+ with its rate of fire).

Lower the maximum amount of magazines one can carry from 14 to 4 when the gun has a 20 round mag loaded.

The rate of fire and the laser sight would be unchanged, but being able to carry 300 rounds of ammo for that thing is just game breaking at this point. Drop that amount to 100, and I think people will be a bit more careful about how they expend their ammunition. Part of the reason that SS is OP right now is the fact that they can just spam primary fire without aiming at all and still take out the biggest baddest specimens the game throws at you with minimal effort.
Remove the laser already for god sake.

Upvote 0

If you do all that, it'll be a useless gun. 100 shots maximum? Might as well stick to the Lever Action, which does more damage, or the Crossbow, which is guaranteed to 1-shot anything. Couple that with a damage nerf that'll make you use up a good chunk more ammo on everything and you have a gun that, even being conservative, won't have the ammo to last 5 minutes on Suicidal.

If one Scrake took 5 shots, that's 5% of your ammo right there. Sirens and husks each take a couple shots too, and FPs take quite a bit. Nerfing the ammo is good. Nerfing it to uselessness isn't.

Its not needed.

Its the only tier 3 weapon with a laser.

Remove it already. Stupid spammers.

This is what makes it really, really problematic. The laser sight is a cop-out excuse to add a crosshair (Albeit a more realistic one) and allows ridiculous, not-sharpshooter-like running and gunning nonsense. Firing headshots from the hip while running full speed (The sight doesn't have any weapon-bob effect) is absolute BS...

Upvote 0
Its not needed.

Its the only tier 3 weapon with a laser.

Remove it already. Stupid spammers.

so long as the weapon is semi automatic, you will have spammers. removing the laser won't change that ;)

anyone with the least amount of skill can hit stuff spamming bullets without using the laser. the laser's effect is minimal.

you want to end this supposed m14 spam??? have KF use the free-aim system that RO uses. of course people would whine and complain that it is too hard to shoot accurately without using ironsights or crosshairs.

again, can somebody please direct me to a video confirming the success of a typical pub team on sucidal with SS all using m14s. support your arguements with evidence.....rule number one when suggest/whining.

Upvote 0
so long as the weapon is semi automatic, you will have spammers. removing the laser won't change that ;)

anyone with the least amount of skill can hit stuff spamming bullets without using the laser. the laser's effect is minimal.

you want to end this supposed m14 spam??? have KF use the free-aim system that RO uses. of course people would whine and complain that it is too hard to shoot accurately without using ironsights or crosshairs.

again, can somebody please direct me to a video confirming the success of a typical pub team on sucidal with SS all using m14s. support your arguements with evidence.....rule number one when suggest/whining.

Maybe, but at least the spammers won't have a clue where they are shooting, which in fact is what we want. Either use the ironsight, or learn where is the center of your screen. Game wasn't supposed to have something this close to a crosshair.

Upvote 0
If you do all that, it'll be a useless gun. 100 shots maximum? Might as well stick to the Lever Action, which does more damage, or the Crossbow, which is guaranteed to 1-shot anything. Couple that with a damage nerf that'll make you use up a good chunk more ammo on everything and you have a gun that, even being conservative, won't have the ammo to last 5 minutes on Suicidal.

If one Scrake took 5 shots, that's 5% of your ammo right there. Sirens and husks each take a couple shots too, and FPs take quite a bit. Nerfing the ammo is good. Nerfing it to uselessness isn't.

I suppose a damage nerf might be too much for it. But 100 rounds is *plenty* with that gun. When playing on hard/suicidal, I find that I usually have at least 9 mags left over regardless of the wave. I bet if you limit that thing to 100 rounds, it'd be fair because you can also hold a lever action rifle while having the M14. If you're playing suicidal, chances are you're at least rank 5 and spawn with the LAR.

This is what makes it really, really problematic. The laser sight is a cop-out excuse to add a crosshair (Albeit a more realistic one) and allows ridiculous, not-sharpshooter-like running and gunning nonsense. Firing headshots from the hip while running full speed (The sight doesn't have any weapon-bob effect) is absolute BS...
The laser sight is more of an aesthetic thing than anything. What makes the M14 overpowered is the ability to spam 20 rounds into a raging fleshpound/scrake's body and drop them regardless of difficulty. I really think limiting the ammo would be the best solution. There's no reason that particular gun needs to have 15 total magazines. 300 rounds makes that gun way too spammy.

Upvote 0
freeaim is actually the best thing a realistic game could have like in RO for example ;) but freeaim does not fit for KF since even though KF attempts to make things realistic, you're killing zombies......the overall plot is unrealistic, which is ok for KF because it doesn't ruin the fun aspect of the game. but yes, should KF actually use freeaim, 50% of players would freek out and leave because it would be too "hard" :D

any "spammer" that's played the game for more that 2 hours will come to realize that all you have to do when "hipshooting" is aim for the center of your screen ;) the laser and even ironsights make no difference so removing an asthetic feature like the laser would not improve anything. altough, limiting the m14 to say 5 clips of ammo, that would have drastic effects.

Upvote 0