• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Vote for a Break

avp2501

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Lost in the land of Magic
I was playing KF-Wyre last night on Suicidal and was in a pretty good team, we got to wave 7 fine and we were mostly coping. When Wave 8 began one of our guys had to go for a piss so he hid in the corner hoping that we would survive for when he got back.

Now this guy was the 2nd top scoring in the game and without him we only managed to last half of wave 8.

It would have been useful if you could have called a vote that would have paused the game for a set amount of time, say 5 Minutes and if he didn't make it back in 5 mins that's his own tough luck.

I think some kind of feature like this would be handy since once you get into a good team you tend to want to stay on the server with them even if you're dying to get a snack or use the facilities.

Any thoughts on this?

Maybe you could have it so that he goes into "ghost" mode so zombies ignore him and the zombie spawn rate slows down or something to help out the rest of the team. Of course you'd have to have a setting that only lets you go into this "ghost" state say every 10 minutes to stop people going mental with it.

Pause vote - Yeah, good idea

Ghost mode - I don't think that's a very realistic idea, and stuff like that will very likely be open to abuse one way or another.

I remember Age of Empires 3 having the ability to pause in an online game, I'm not sure how exactly it would work but I think one player could hit the pause button and the game would stop for 5 minutes, this pause could be overruled by the other players. Each player got 3 pauses max I think. It was a simple but incredibly helpful feature :D

This would be awesome for KF too, since you really need all of your teammates to perform. Happens a lot that people have to go do something for 5 minutes, I'd rather wait out the pause rather than lose on wave 10 because of AFK people...

Upvote 0
We definately need this feature, because atm there is no way of pausing the game if someone needs to go afk for a while. It could be used for discussing tactics too, if needed.

So basically, everyone votes and if it passes the game pauses for like 3 minutes and if the player isnt back by then the game starts automatically. To start the game earlier you just press "ready" button.

Suicidal/Long games last often way over an hour, after all...

Upvote 0
I think the "pause idea" is the wrong way to go about fixing this problem. Like most people I'm pretty busy and when I sit down to play I'm ready to play and I don't want to wait because someone has to take their dog out or take a piss. I know stuff comes up unexpectedly but I don't think 5 players should be punished because 1 player wants/needs to take a break. Since most of you are making this a majority vote situation not everyone would want this and I would simply leave the server if that happened thus destroying potentially good team chemistry.

The better option IMHO, would be allow that person to go into spectate mode or something similar. Since that person isn't fighting the zombie count should be automatically adjusted and when/if that person re-joins the zombie count should be re-adjusted.

To fix milking the pause (ie. having a player come in half way through the wave with full ammo/health/armor if that person wants to join mid-wave then he should start with half health/armor/ammo OR if that person doesn't like that punishment then he must wait til the end of the current wave to join like he is just joining the server..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the "pause idea" is the wrong way to go about fixing this problem. Like most people I'm pretty busy and when I sit down to play I'm ready to play and I don't want to wait because someone has to take their dog out or take a piss. I know stuff comes up unexpectedly but I don't think 5 players should be punished because 1 player wants/needs to take a break. Since most of you are making this a majority vote situation not everyone would want this and I would simply leave the server if that happened thus destroying potentially good team chemistry.

The better option IMHO, would be allow that person to go into spectate mode or something similar. Since that person isn't fighting the zombie count should be automatically adjusted and when/if that person re-joins the zombie count should be re-adjusted.

To fix milking the pause (ie. having a player come in half way through the wave with full ammo/health/armor if that person wants to join mid-wave then he should start with half health/armor/ammo OR if that person doesn't like that punishment then he must wait til the end of the current wave to join like he is just joining the server..

Something like this would be better than a pause vote. I don't want to wait for some random guy I don't know to be done taking a dump.

Upvote 0
problem with that is once the person goes to spec, they lose their gun, their money and their kills (not that kills really matter) so if they've been playing for 5 rounds to build up enough money to buy a top-tier weapon, why would they throw it away? also, if the person just decided to "pause" and go to spec midwave, it would be too late to adjust the amount of zeds to appear in the round. all in all, it would just be too complicated.

round pause is simple. if a majority vote approved it, that's the majority and a pause is taken until the vote starter returns and clicks ready, or after a set time period, i.e. 3 minutes (that should be enough time to take a piss :p). once the vote starter clicks ready it would give a 20sec count down so nodoby is caught off guard. it's simple, if you don't want a pause, vote "no". if enough people don't approve the pause then it's not taken. simple and effective.

for most cases, people needing a pause are already communicating using vent/ts/ingame and are probably friends so they know what's going on. again, this is if an admin is not available. most people in a pub game that need to leave will just leave anyway or stand there afk assuming the rest of the players will survive the round.

i'd much rather see a guy start a vote requesting a 2-3 minute pause then have him leave midwave or sit there afk and die within 30secs leaving us to cover the amount of zeds alloted to him ;)

Upvote 0
problem with that is once the person goes to spec, they lose their gun, their money and their kills (not that kills really matter) so if they've been playing for 5 rounds to build up enough money to buy a top-tier weapon, why would they throw it away? also, if the person just decided to "pause" and go to spec midwave, it would be too late to adjust the amount of zeds to appear in the round. all in all, it would just be too complicated.

round pause is simple. if a majority vote approved it, that's the majority and a pause is taken until the vote starter returns and clicks ready, or after a set time period, i.e. 3 minutes (that should be enough time to take a piss :p). once the vote starter clicks ready it would give a 20sec count down so nodoby is caught off guard. it's simple, if you don't want a pause, vote "no". if enough people don't approve the pause then it's not taken. simple and effective.

for most cases, people needing a pause are already communicating using vent/ts/ingame and are probably friends so they know what's going on. again, this is if an admin is not available. most people in a pub game that need to leave will just leave anyway or stand there afk assuming the rest of the players will survive the round.

i'd much rather see a guy start a vote requesting a 2-3 minute pause then have him leave midwave or sit there afk and die within 30secs leaving us to cover the amount of zeds alloted to him ;)

Then you have to amend the spectate mode. Like I suggested allow the game to be able to re-adjust the zombie counter if a person goes into spectate and if they want to come back into the fray mid-wave then take half of their money, health, ammo, and armor away. If you have already bought the weapon then you should start with it and not loose it. These are simple fixes to the game.

If you don't wanna take a pause and ur playing with friends as you've suggested then they should be able to protect you for the time it takes to piss.

My main gripe with a majority vote pause is that I know with my luck I'll won't be in the majority and I'll be stuck waiting for some dude to take a dump for no reason, which will cause me to leave the server and disrupt potential team chemistry anyways.

Plus most guys i've seen on public servers are decent enough to drop their weapons and cash before they bail.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mabey with this pause vote you can change how it works like map voting, not score mode or accumalation mode but you can either pause the game for everyone or the person can be forced into something like a spectator mode but they keep their stuff and have to wait untill the end of the wave to rejoin.

Upvote 0
Then you have to amend the spectate mode. Like I suggested allow the game to be able to re-adjust the zombie counter if a person goes into spectate and if they want to come back into the fray mid-wave then take half of their money, health, ammo, and armor away. If you have already bought the weapon then you should start with it and not loose it. These are simple fixes to the game.

If you don't wanna take a pause and ur playing with friends as you've suggested then they should be able to protect you for the time it takes to piss.

My main gripe with a majority vote pause is that I know with my luck I'll won't be in the majority and I'll be stuck waiting for some dude to take a dump for no reason, which will cause me to leave the server and disrupt potential team chemistry anyways.

Plus most guys i've seen on public servers are decent enough to drop their weapons and cash before they bail.

Better to have the option to preserve a team's effectiveness than not have it, and if it's not needed, players can vote no and keep fighting with an afk player.

The mid-wave spectate option is pretty complicated, and having the number of zeds dynamically change if a player goes afk would lead to abuse i.e. everyone goes afk except the best players against the patriarch, or players going afk/spectate when they're about to die to save their loadout etc. And any zeds that have already spawned should not be de-spawned, so the players would still have to survive the current onslaught without reduced difficulty.

Keep the pause simple, the whole game gets paused (like an admin pause), but only allow a 2-3 minute timer max so that someone can answer a phone call or take a whiz without too much delay.

Majority vote is needed for fairness and to prevent abuse. It shouldn't be easy to pause the game and discuss strategy at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Better to have the option to preserve a team's effectiveness than not have it, and if it's not needed, players can vote no and keep fighting with an afk player.

The mid-wave spectate option is pretty complicated, and having the number of zeds dynamically change if a player goes afk would lead to abuse i.e. everyone goes afk except the best players against the patriarch, or players going afk/spectate when they're about to die to save their loadout etc. And any zeds that have already spawned should not be de-spawned, so the players would still have to survive the current onslaught without reduced difficulty.

Keep the pause simple, the whole game gets paused (like an admin pause), but only allow a 2-3 minute timer max so that someone can answer a phone call or take a whiz without too much delay.

Majority vote is needed for fairness and to prevent abuse. It shouldn't be easy to pause the game and discuss strategy at the drop of a hat.

The abuse potential is there still. If your playing with friends all vote to pause...and you get 2-3 minutes to discuss strategy or look for the best escape route so you don't get killed.

Upvote 0