• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Survival mode?

Uberjager

Jun 23, 2009
Colorado
I'm thinking a survival mode would be sweet. It would be like regular mode, but there would be no boss wave. You would keep going at it wave after wave until your team dies. As your team finishes a wave, it would get harder and harder as the game progresses.

And maybe there could be an option for lots of easy enemies or many hard enemies.

What do you guys think about this?

well, look at the only kf "survival" map so far.....it needs a lot of work and that's all from one guy working by himself. if a mutator or gametype was added for survival, then we could finally have a lot of mappers churning out symmetrical maps and we would get real clan competition going.

teams min 1v1 max 6v6 (have to get server support) all on the same map at the same time, in the same server playing in survival mode....(level6 mutator so all perks at same level is already available). that would be epic for competition.

Upvote 0
This would be cool, but after a certain point ammo reserves would have to be upped in accordance with increasing waves. I personally think its stupid to die because i'm all out of ammo rather than just getting beat.

I know i've joined some public servers and we start with 6 guys and within 30 seconds of the start of wave 8 or so all of them die and after you kill tons of zombies ammo becomes a big problem. No matter how frugal you are with ammunition after a certain amount of waves having NO ammo would be the reason you died rather than getting swarmed or lack of skill. Killing 3 Fp's, 2 sirens, and a scrake with a knife is a tough task.

Simple fix frequent ammo box spawns or increased ammo capacity in accordance with the increasing number of waves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'd rather see an infinite amount of waves then resupplies etc... like in survival. part of the skill in the game is tactics for getting to the trader and getting back to get in a defensive position. keeping traders would keep the overall flow of the game, but with an infinite amount of waves, it would add that flare to allow for real competition.

waves should get even more difficult as you get past 10. double the priority targets like FP, scrake, siren, husks etc.....maybe even in post wave10 waves the patty actually spawns on every wave as part of the "horde" but doesn't have as much health.

Upvote 0
Yes!

Yes!

There should be 2 different game modes added for each map:

Unlimited Waves: no Patriarch, instead the waves get harder and harder past Wave 10. Track player stats for each map, like # of waves completed and survival time. Buy extra weapons during trader time to keep from running out of ammo. To make stocking up more doable, have the trader spawn in the same spot every time, close to the most popular camping spots. A "hardcore" version would have the trader spawn in a different spot each time as usual.

Endless Wave: one giant continuous wave that gets increasingly harder, Trader stays in one location near best camp spot, door stays open the entire time, and players kill and buy stuff constantly to survive as long as possible. This would probably be easier than unlimited waves and also more fun. Players would have to stagger trader runs to maintain defense, and medics/support could transport cheap guns quickly to the team etc.
---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well, again i like to argue for tactics of movement involving the trader. i think an endless wave would be great and keep a better flow, but i would still want to see the trader moved. camping in itself is not a bad thing, it's actually good tactics. thing about the current wave system is that you still have to move to get to the trader. on many maps, you'll have trader locations that are pretty far away from the "camp spot", so unless you play it right, you could end up getting destroyed because you didnt get to the trader and back in time.

so, for endless waves, there should have to be a wave for the trader to still move and require players to move to it. this would end up being more like a part of a story mode though...have endless waves however would be sufficient and probably easier to impliment which is why i support it over one giant wave.

Upvote 0
This would be cool, but after a certain point ammo reserves would have to be upped in accordance with increasing waves.

Simple fix frequent ammo box spawns or increased ammo capacity in accordance with the increasing number of waves.

Id rather see ammo boxes spawn more frequently after a certain amount of waves.

Anyway survival mode would be great.

Upvote 0
something i realized, you can config your server to not have the "end wave boss" and could increase the wave ammount to the maximum......i've not checked to see what that max is though. if you could set it to say, 40 waves, i doubt that many teams would get that far anyway as the skill adjustment increases with each wave.

there used to be a "survival" mode in there but it has been deleted for some odd reason.

tbh, i wouldn't really care that much whether it is one giant wave or an endless amount of waves. the first step to having maps for competition is having something that is "endless" so it is a battle of who can survive the longest. the next step is the hard part.....either making special maps for competition that seperates your "teams" or a way to have two "rounds" running at the same time on one server. since i don't believe the second option is possible, it looks like specialty maps is the way to go.

Upvote 0
Use the disable trader mutator. Then you fight till your ammo runs out. Now that's survival!

That was sorta the point i was trying to make in my earlier post. Dying because I can't fight due to being out of ammo doesn't reflect on me skill wise espeically if you play enough waves to where its impossible to NOT run out of ammo like in the survivor mode.

I mean you can't take out 2 scrakes, a few bloats, sirens, and gorefasts with a knife. I've died a few times being the last one left on wave 8 or so after ur team gets wiped with 180+ zombies to kill and you gotta drop all of them on ur alotment of ammo. Being that I only play on hard/suicidal ammo boxes are few and far between. It's impossible to win that way. You always wonder...man could I have made it if ammo wasn't a concern?!? I always think the game should sorta know well he's all alone and only has X amount of ammo with hundreds of zombies to kill perhaps we should give him some ammo to give him a fighting chance, alas that never happens. Now if I had adequate ammo and I simply get my a$$ kicked that's another story and I can accept that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That was sorta the point i was trying to make in my earlier post. Dying because I can't fight due to being out of ammo doesn't reflect on me skill wise espeically if you play enough waves to where its impossible to NOT run out of ammo like in the survivor mode.

I mean you can't take out 2 scrakes, a few bloats, sirens, and gorefasts with a knife. I've died a few times being the last one left on wave 8 or so after ur team gets wiped with 180+ zombies to kill and you gotta drop all of them on ur alotment of ammo. Being that I only play on hard/suicidal ammo boxes are few and far between. It's impossible to win that way. You always wonder...man could I have made it if ammo wasn't a concern?!? I always think the game should sorta know well he's all alone and only has X amount of ammo with hundreds of zombies to kill perhaps we should give him some ammo to give him a fighting chance, alas that never happens. Now if I had adequate ammo and I simply get my a$$ kicked that's another story and I can accept that.
Ammo has a chance to respawn every 30 seconds.
Beginner chance: 65%
Normal: 50%
Hard: 35%
Suicidal: 10%

So essentially, as long as you don't get cornered, you will ALWAYS be able to win if ammo is the only issue.

So...essentially:)D) you have adequate ammo and you're getting your a$$ kicked and not accepting it ;)

Upvote 0