• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Katiushkas

The original mod spoke of certain maps featuring Katyushkas as an alternative to regular artillery and would be called in by an officer on a radio as usual, but this idea was never implemented. It would essentially be magically falling bombs like the current artillery, except that they'd sound like rockets and they'd streak in with trails of smoke behind them and scare the piss out of the enemy ten-fold. :D

I'd like to see this in HOS.

Upvote 0
Sure, Katyushkas would be very dramatic addon. But not a realistic one. They were used for "strategic" bombardments, since the accuracy is so poor. They could not be used effectively on close presence of own troops. And since own troops are allways very close of the fire mission target area in game, it

Upvote 0
Katyusha's were a big part of the Stalingrad. There were stationed on the banks of the Volga, fired, and moved in towards the bluffs for protection.

I don't think anybody suggested them for platoon/company level fire missions - which really should be mortar based as it is. But I could imagine occasional wide area bombardments. Maybe the CO would be informed when it would be, so would know when to hunker down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder if single batteries of Katyushkas were every assigned to battalions or not. With mortars you could even have teams directly under the command of a company (Carpathian Crosses essentially tried to implement this), while howitzers and the like could be utilized through the battalion, but I don't know how the Red Army handled that sort of thing.

The typical image of the Katyushka though, is sitting on the eastern side of the Volga firing across the river, and that limits its low-level tactical use I think :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0