• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Seems like a good time to fix the sharpshooter perk

Despara

Jul 10, 2009
Sharpshooters have been the best class ever since this game began. I have been playing it since that time, and I knew a long time ago that the sharpshooter perk was over powered. I myself am not very talented at aiming. And even back in the day before I had any levels in sharpshooter and was using the crossbow on my medic I knew if I used the crossbow for a sharpshooter the effect would be ridiculous (primarily why I stayed away using it for so long because I like a challenge when I play games, and I could tell it would even for someone as useless as me when it comes to aiming would not receive any challenge from using the sharpshooter class).

But even later when I actually got my levels in it (to level 5 prior to level 6 update) I knew there was something very strange (in the sense why a lot of the more unskilled marksman like myself yet unlike in the sense of the challenge of course were not all simply using the sharpshooter class.

Then finally in recent playing post-level 6 update its just gotten flat-out stupid ridiculous retarded and crazy. Every single one of these "unskilled marksmen" as I call them (other terminology being noob of course) are all using the sharpshooter class half of which are completely ruining the game for most if not virtually all other perks in wide open to semi-wide open maps, and the other half of these fine gentlemen are complaining whining and *****ing like a 14 year old girl on her period. Or generally being very unfriendly and generally not very teammate like whenever I do take the lead and actually make it so they don't get top or near top kills.

So with all this taken into consideration I think its time to take a decent amount of damage away from the perk to put a stop to new people or maybe just lazy older or possibly unskilled players once and for all. I would advise at least somewhere between minus 25-35 head shot damage to quickly fix this problem quickly and cleanly once and for all.

Id just love everything to be the same like in KF 1000 version which was actually challanging for any perks and demanded teamwork. Those were the good old days of fighting the patriarch with a bullpup for 2 minutes or so but the game has become so easy that its possible to own him on hard in 30 seconds :p

Id nerf everything =)

Upvote 0
The problem, in my opinion, can be summed up in a few words: Laser-Sighted M-14. It's the in-game version of a crosshair and allows for ridiculous run-n-gun nonsense with little or no real aiming...

Not to mention that the gun is sickly effective and has as much ammo as an assault rifle...

Upvote 0
The problem, in my opinion, can be summed up in a few words: Laser-Sighted M-14. It's the in-game version of a crosshair and allows for ridiculous run-n-gun nonsense with little or no real aiming...

Not to mention that the gun is sickly effective and has as much ammo as an assault rifle...

This is true. It's what made the class completely noob friendly and distorts the true purpose of the class. Nerf the M14's body shot damage big time and reduce ammo is what I say. Would be even better if they take away the red dot sight and replace it with a proper scope but TWI doing that is doubtful.

Upvote 0
This is true. It's what made the class completely noob friendly and distorts the true purpose of the class. Nerf the M14's body shot damage big time and reduce ammo is what I say. Would be even better if they take away the red dot sight and replace it with a proper scope but TWI doing that is doubtful.

I approve this message.

How bout an ACOG scope for the M14 with half the magnification of the xbow scope. You could still no-scope the M14, or tape a dot to your monitor, but the laser sight takes the skill out of no-scoping and encourages spam. The Sharpshooter is supposed to choose his shots, and a scope would encourage this behavior.

The laser sight is fun however- just put it on the LAR instead, it would see more action and make for some good hip firing when the big guys get close. And it wouldn't be spammable due to the limited ammo and slow rate of fire/reload. The M14 should be used with the scope on mid-ranged targets, and the LAR w/ laser sight or Handcannon for shorter range.

Obviously this is an ambitious fix, the easy one is lowering M14 ammo count to ~150 so the SS has to actually choose his shots (gasp!). Right now it's a joke.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Has anyone thought about the idea of reducing the weight of the M14 just enough so a player can carry a crossbow? Then by lowing the ammo of the M14 to around 7 clips (Around 150 shots), increasing the price of a crossbow so its the same as a T3 weapon and lowering the M14's price just slightly so its level with the other T2 weapons. The red dot sight then balances out by teaching newbies how to blind aim with it and it allows the sharpshooter to target big targets and still crowd control.

Upvote 0
Has anyone thought about the idea of reducing the weight of the M14 just enough so a player can carry a crossbow? Then by lowing the ammo of the M14 to around 7 clips (Around 150 shots), increasing the price of a crossbow so its the same as a T3 weapon and lowering the M14's price just slightly so its level with the other T2 weapons. The red dot sight then balances out by teaching newbies how to blind aim with it and it allows the sharpshooter to target big targets and still crowd control.
Are you serious? If sharpie can carry BOTH weapons at once, then he can PWN every single enemy in the game. Crossbow can pierce thru hordes and M-14 will rip @ CQB. I'll vote a NO to this.

Upvote 0
Are you serious? If sharpie can carry BOTH weapons at once, then he can PWN every single enemy in the game. Crossbow can pierce thru hordes and M-14 will rip @ CQB. I'll vote a NO to this.

So let me get this right, the Commando can carry the Scar which is a monster weapon against Scrakes and big stuff and an AK for trash clearing. the Support has the AS12 for big targets and a hunting shotgun for cleaning and you don't want to offer the Sharpy the same balance?
If we nerf the crossbow so it takes 2 shots with an R6 sharpy to down a scrake (3 on a fleshy) Will that balance it out enough?

Upvote 0
isn't the idea of the sharpshooter to be like a sniper? really accrute, and lots of damage if used correctly? so why do they get such a huge bonus to reload and fire rate? i mean, really? reducing or removing it should put in more skill to this class, that and reducing ammunition for the M14, and maybe a little bit for the other weapons.

Upvote 0
If they nerf the damage of these two weapons to bring them in line with other classes then I would agree with letting a SS carry both. Other classes can carry l2 and l3 weapons so it would be fair.

Upvote 0
sigh.....again, you don't just nerf weapons by reducing their power. ammo capacity yes, reduction in anything else no. what is it with so many people not understanding the concept of a "nerf"? let's look how well it worked out reducing the power of the chainsaw.....combined with the change not allowing for a FP decap and the zerker perk went from top 2 perks to low 2.

btw, sharpshooters aren't supposed to have to "clean up" the small stuff. no way should they carry a bow and an m14....that's absurd. those dual handcannons and dual 9mm should be all the a SS should need along with their crossbow.

Upvote 0
isn't the idea of the sharpshooter to be like a sniper? really accrute, and lots of damage if used correctly? so why do they get such a huge bonus to reload and fire rate? i mean, really? reducing or removing it should put in more skill to this class, that and reducing ammunition for the M14, and maybe a little bit for the other weapons.

I've argued this from the beginning. A sharp shooter is an expert in shot accuracy NOT in reloading. The king of the reload time should be the commando...the over all weapon expert.

Upvote 0
So let me get this right, the Commando can carry the Scar which is a monster weapon against Scrakes and big stuff and an AK for trash clearing. the Support has the AS12 for big targets and a hunting shotgun for cleaning and you don't want to offer the Sharpy the same balance?
If we nerf the crossbow so it takes 2 shots with an R6 sharpy to down a scrake (3 on a fleshy) Will that balance it out enough?
Did you know that I can do the same as Commando with MK16 and AK, when I'm using M-14. That's why we don't need to let Sharpies have Bow as their secondary weapon. Bow is the AWP of this game. As someon already said it "Every game needs an AWP and Crossbow is it in this game."

Even the best sharpie can't kill all the zeds, if team dies early at wave. Like on 6 man suicidal, the 5 guys die at first 2 minutes. It leaves something like 1000 ZEDs to kill. That's the reason why M-14 has so many bullets.

And you can kill FP with dual HCs if you can handle them properly.

You can try mutator, what emulates 6 player server. You got a ****loads of ZEDs and you have to do it alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Even the best sharpie can't kill all the zeds, if team dies early at wave. Like on 6 man suicidal, the 5 guys die at first 2 minutes. It leaves something like 1000 ZEDs to kill. That's the reason why M-14 has so many bullets.

That is some horrible justification. May as well give the AA-12 240 rounds because Supports need to kill a lot of stuff if they're soloing. This is a co-op game for a reason.

Reduce the ammo count.

Upvote 0
That is some horrible justification. May as well give the AA-12 240 rounds because Supports need to kill a lot of stuff if they're soloing. This is a co-op game for a reason.

Reduce the ammo count.

Hit the nail on the head. It's pretty rare for a SS to be the last man standing anyway. Nonetheless, solo ability takes a back seat to co-op gameplay balance. No single class should automatically get most of the kills like the M14 Sharpshooter does.

Upvote 0
NO perk should be great at killing all the zeds.
If one perk can kill all the lower zeds, like the commando, then they shouldn't be able to kill the FP in under a mag.

You can't kill a FP in under a single mag of the scar as level 5-6 even on hard. yet the Sharpy can in one xbow bolt, along with everything else.

Should the sharpy be able to easily clear a crowd of clots and gorefasts quickly, or not be able to do that yet be able to instant kill fleshpounds?
Thing is, they can do both now, and since they add dmg to the 9mm, they easily own everything.

Upvote 0

The Scar is actually not very effective against Scrakes. You'll get him to the threshold of charging on a single clip and more often than not someone else tips him over the edge while you're stuck reloading.

The Sharpy already has Dual HC for trash and close range while using the crossbow. There is no way they need to carry an m14 AND a crossbow. Silly.

Upvote 0