• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Only old men fought at Stalingrad?

the_TeuTon

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2007
When I looked at the screenshots I couldn't help but notice it seems like every soldier, Russian or German, looks like they're in their 40s or 50s! Is it because the game is still in development and they haven't done models for young soldiers yet?
http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/media/?album=1&gallery=2&show=gallery
Yes, there were many old men (especially Russians) who fought at Stalingrad but there were many young ones too lol!

Also I know this has been suggested before but it is pretty important: there should be the occasional woman in the Soviet ranks. At Stalingrad in particular, many women fought on the front lines. Even if they were supposed to be away from the main fight in support, the nature of this battle meant that support personnel (i. e. runners, medics, artillery crews, etc.) would suddenly be caught on the front line a lot.

I know of one case where an entire battery of guns on the edge of the city was crewed by women. They were actually civilians who had been called up to fight as the Germans approached. The women kept up their fire until they were all overrun and killed. When the German troops came up to the guns they were shocked to see that all of the gunners they had just killed were not men.

Last edited:
Flaks are usually behind the lines :p

But World War 2 was a mobile war. Just because you were in the rear echelon didn't mean you were safe. German and Russians alike would often out-maneuver and out-flank each other so artillery and support units were under direct attack. Also, the situation for the Russians at Stalingrad was particularly desperate, and the high command wanted anyone who could stop a bullet (which includes women).

Upvote 0
But World War 2 was a mobile war. Just because you were in the rear echelon didn't mean you were safe. German and Russians alike would often out-maneuver and out-flank each other so artillery and support units were under direct attack. Also, the situation for the Russians at Stalingrad was particularly desperate, and the high command wanted anyone who could stop a bullet (which includes women).

Agreed, though I still think that there are more important stuff to work on than woman models (though it depends on how you "work on" them :p).

Upvote 0