• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DirectX9 Compatible Fix Please?

Ok so since the update KF doesn't like DX9, I was happy for a while playing in D3D but since I paid for a DX9 game it's a bit of a joke I have to use D3D.

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3012 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (9107)

General protection fault!

History: ResetDevice <- UD3D9RenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

My system is more than capible of running this game at maximum settings, before the update I got 50fps if I maxed everything on 1280x1240@32 DX9.

Is there going to be an update to correct the DX9 compatability issues? This game is plagued with glitches and is heavily unpolished so removing the ability for decent graphics is dire to say the least. I know of 14 people with the exact same problem, all with systems capible of max graphics on different OS' (XP, Vista and w7) and who all now have to run the game with the -d3d command.

(For the record, I have edited the ini file, deleted the ini file and even deleted the whole system folder then verified intergrity).

Windows mode didn't work however I launched it without the Steam overlay and it worked fine. For some reason now it works with the Steam overlay too... This is kinda like the glitch where I have to start a single player game to join online servers.

I'll get everyone to follow the steps I have to see if this magically resolves their general protection fault (delete the system folder, verify integrity and run the game without steam).

Not sure what you did but thanks, you Jedi fixed KF DX9 for me. I'll post back with the results for everyone else.

:D

Upvote 0
The issue you showed happens often with 2 overlays at the same time.

Like a ventrillo overlay + steam overlay or mumble overlay + steam overlay.
Stuff like that.

But starting the game without steam wont allow you to play online starting without the steam overlay will allow you to.

----

General protection fault says nothing its the line below that that tells you more of the issue ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got really giddy and shared this with all the people i play KF with and this only seems to fix the players on XP.

On Vista, we can make the game run without the overlay in DX9 but it still won't launch with the overlay. I'll keep trying with the Vista machines but if you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks again for your help, at least mine looks sexy again :p

Upvote 0
I gave up, I'll leave it in D3D. This game is only really fun because you can play it with a group of friends so overlays like mumble, vent or steam are required for the multiplayer experience.

Slightly worrying though, now I'm getting a D3D Critical Error every now and again... tbh if we're forced into software mode next I doubt any of us will play it again (then again tripwire has my money so I doubt they care).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I gave up, I'll leave it in DX9. This game is only really fun because you can play it with a group of friends so overlays like mumble, vent or steam are required for the multiplayer experience.

Slightly worrying though, now I'm getting a D3D Critical Error every now and again... tbh if we're forced into software mode next I doubt any of us will play it again (then again tripwire has my money so I doubt they care).

That's an unfair statement. We are constantly working on the forums to fix people's issues and everyone on here has already "given us their money". Can you please post the D3D Critical Error that you are now getting?

Upvote 0