• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rogue Warrior

That's what the text says, but look at the picture, and the 3D models ingame.. thouse are 47 Type-3's, and Russia got rid of all their 47's in 1961, not a single one remained in service after it was replaced by the AKM.

And considdering that the Pecheneg is in the game, this is obviously not taking place in the 1950's when the 47 was still issued.

Yes, like i said it's a pet peeve ;)
I doubt they totally replaced them. I don't see the reason giving a soldier an AKM when he has an AK-47. If I was a second line troop in the USSR who used an AK-47, there wouldin't be any point in giving me an AKM. They both have nearly the same abilities. The AK-47 is just heavier and maybe slightly more accurate.

Upvote 0
I doubt they totally replaced them. I don't see the reason giving a soldier an AKM when he has an AK-47. If I was a second line troop in the USSR who used an AK-47, there wouldin't be any point in giving me an AKM. They both have nearly the same abilities. The AK-47 is just heavier and maybe slightly more accurate.

Time for a history lesson:

The AK-47 is not the success story most people think it is, it's good reputation comes in large part from the fact that people confuse the 47 with the AKM, and thus, the 47 often takes credit for the AKM's service life.

The AK-47 entered service in 1951 (1947 is the year the first succesfull prototype was compleated, NOT the year it was issued), and right off the bat there where problems, the type-1 reciver had a serious flaw, the guns where breaking down very rapidly, it underwent 2 revisions of the design within the first couple of years it served, thus becomming the heavy and expensive milled reciver Type-3 that we all know.
But the issues where more severe than just weight and cost, the 1948 prototype that won the military trials had a muzzle compensator, thus in it's tests, it performed quite well recoil wise, but the prototype was unable to mount a bayonet, and this was a requirement from the army, so the production model was altered slightly, the compensator was removed in favour of a removable nut that would allow mounting a bayonet, this proved quite desastrous to the gun's full-auto handling however, it's anything but accurate on full-auto as it's very difficult to control.
It also had some alarming reliabillity problems, namely that the hammer would fall out of sync with the bolt causing jams, or even slamfires in full-auto mode.

The Red army was not very happy with the AK-47, it was expensive, heavy, the factories coulden't keep up with demand, and it did not perform as intended, they wanted a good full-auto AR and the 47 was not getting the job done, the 1948 prototype had impressed them but the type-3 did not perform like the prototype due to the alterations of the design.
Thus, allready in 1958, they cancelled all orders for the gun, and new trials where held to find it's replacement, this damn near became the swan song for the AK.

But Kalashnikov set about fixing the problems with the AK-47, and the result is the AKM, it is lighter, better balanced, cheaper and has a better bayonet system, but more importantly, due to it's new hammer design it's more reliable, and changes where made to improve recoil, the bolt was lightened, the stock was replaced by an in-line stock, a muzzle compensator was fitted, and the front grips where changed to give better grip, and as a result the AKM is a much better full-auto AR, it doesen't have nearly the same muzzle climb, it's everything the 1948 prototype was, but better.

Obviously, the AKM won the 1959 trials and was selected as the replacement for the AK-47 (but by a narrow margin, Korobov's TKB-517 prototype gave the AKM a good run for it's money in the trials), and underwent massproduction in the following 2 years, it was issued to troops in 1961 (thus making the AK-47's service life allmost exactly 10 years in Russia), fully replacing the 47 that the Red army was displeased with.

The 47's where sold or even given away to whomever wanted them, and wheren't an enemy of the USSR at the time, tons of them ended up in Vietnam, and many more where sold to African and middle eastern nations, alot of them where also destroyed, melted down to recycle the steel, and this process repeated itself all over the USSR as countries set about replacing their 47 designs with AKM designs.

The AKM is a very underrated design by civilian shooters, as the vast majority of them are restricted to casual semi-auto target practice, they just don't have a use for the improvements the AKM actually has, the weight difference is not a big problem when all you do is shoot at targets for a couple of houers, and all the recoil-compensation is barely noticable or important when shooting on semi only, and the jams allmost never happen on semi, it's on auto the 47 had it's problems, and they have never had to deal with the cumbersome bayonet system whilst under fire.
Also it is ever so slightly more accurate on semi, due to it's beefy reciver, which is what the civie shooter needs.

But seen through military eyes, the AKM is a big improvement, it pretty much fixes all the complaints the army had with the 47.

Upvote 0
You know, all this talk of 'fully replaced by' got me thinking.

The Nagant M1895 was 'fully replaced by' the TT33, right? But there's still M1895's today in service in backwater areas with law enforcement, etc.

The M1 Garand was fully replaced by the M14, which was itself fully replaced by the M16, yet there were still Garands being used in Vietnam by front-line troops, and there are still M14's being used today as general issue weapons - when I was in the Navy, '99-'03, we had a whole armory full of M14's.

And since the Russians are even less prone to throwing ANYTHING away than we in the US are, I'm sure there's still a few Type 3's laying around somewhere for service. Hell, they've still got warehouses full of T34's and ammo for them. Just in case, y'know?

Upvote 0
Were those M14 old rifles or newly constructed rifles brought back into service?

I know that the old G3s of the German Army got destroyed (maybe a few were sold or put into the armory just in case).

Old. On my first ship - I was there for the commissioning - when they outfitted the armory, we had to take the M14's out of the factory wrappings from the 1950's. Each one still had it's inspection tag with it.

As for G3's ... not all of them got destroyed. I used to have one. :D

Upvote 0
I wish i could make every game developer, and modders, understand that the AK-47 was retired from service in 1961..
Hey, I understand.. and if I ever make a front-line army mod involving (former) eastern-bloc nations or china, I'll be sure not to use a -47.. that's why they ahve the -74 and the -101. :]

Now if I make some 'bum-fsck-hell-hole' where they still make -47's or AKMs in mud-pits in some poor village, then ya.. i'm gonna stick with the -47/AKM look :]

Upvote 0