• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

8600GT - Not Getting the Settings Hoped For

I guess it's just because Killing Floor is trying to fit into shoes that don't fit?

The fact that I can run Batman at full settings means the driver theory is out right?

Also, a buddy of mine with an nvidia 200 series (260 I believe) noticed a HUGE frame drop when he alt tabbed and tabbed back into the game. It was followed by a crash.

His computer has been stress tested just like mine and he runs Crysis regularly and also does some model work, said that it was the first time his comp crashed in over 6 months.

What is up with you Killing Floor?

oh definitly. the steam tab caps frames at I believe it is 30 and it really messes with some games. Try disabling it.
Also if a GTX 260 is having frame problems and it runs fine on crysis then I blame killing floor. I can run it on my compaw presario cq50 that has an extremely overclocked geforce 8200m and an amd athlon dual core 1.9GHZ processor then you guys should be fine as im on high and get 60-120fps

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can run it on my compaw presario cq50 that has a geforce 8200m and an amd athlon dual core 1.9GHZ processor then you guys should be fine as im on high and get 60-120fps

This makes me mad -_-

Is there anything I can do? In an act of desperation I tried disabling the Steam overlay, didn't work.

Tried the precache trick, nothing.

Medium settings @ 1600:900 is all i can run without fire tanking my card.
High settings @ 1600:900 - Fire cripples my frame rate.

Even if I shut off vsync, I'm only getting < 70 frames in Medium. That's just crazy.

Upvote 0
This makes me mad -_-

Is there anything I can do? In an act of desperation I tried disabling the Steam overlay, didn't work.

Tried the precache trick, nothing.

Medium settings @ 1600:900 is all i can run without fire tanking my card.
High settings @ 1600:900 - Fire cripples my frame rate.

Even if I shut off vsync, I'm only getting < 70 frames in Medium. That's just crazy.

If you can't play with 70 frames you need to take a break. the human eye can barely see a different between anything past 40.

Also I would talk specifically to a TWI Dev about the preformance issues if its this bad.

Upvote 0
I have the same card, but 512mb ram.
I can play on highest with about 2x AA and 2x AF at 1024x768 Res. and it looks fine to me, with rare performance drop.

the thing is alot of people can't deal with a resolution like that. Im playing on a geforce 8200m with extreme overclocking but I stll play on 1024x768 and it looks fine except for the jaggies but im not a graphics whore. I play cod4 on lowest on 640x480 FFS I know graphics don't matter i still play quake 1.

Upvote 0
If you can't play with 70 frames you need to take a break. the human eye can barely see a different between anything past 40.

Also I would talk specifically to a TWI Dev about the preformance issues if its this bad.

Bud, you have been wrong about almost everything, including the eye thing:
http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

The overwhelming solution to a more realistic game play, or computer video has been to push the human eye past the misconception of only being able to perceive 30 FPS. Pushing the Human Eye past 30 FPS to 60 FPS and even 120 FPS is possible, ask the video card manufacturers, an eye doctor, or a Physiologist. We as humans CAN and DO see more than 60 frames a second.

Upvote 0
Bud, you have been wrong about almost everything, including the eye thing:
http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

It doesn't matter. Requiring 70fps to play a first person shooter is nonsense. 40fps is completely playable and nobody should complain about 70fps. If you can get 150fps in a game go for It it wont hurt. But I know people who game on rigs running pentium 4 processors, geforce 6600 cards, windows xp and 512mb of ram. It doesn't look great on their rigs but I've seen them play wtih 25fps and they do just fine. Anyways i've gone way offtopic so back to basics. Your card should be able to run KF on highest on the res you want with x16 AF and x4 AA(I can run it on this with 40fps FFS) Also has anyone ever tried playing with x16 AA? even when you set the game to highest it puts AA on x4. why is that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys are missing the point, on medium settings, MY gfx card should be pumping out > 60-70 FPS.

FFS I can run Batman:Arkham Asylum AND that awful L4D2 demo(they changed nothing) maxed out at my native resolution.

Ok batman I can understand but l4d2 was a silly comparison. You know it still plays on a geforce 6600 on low right? Like every other game valve has put out they still won't do a huuge graphics overhaul and realize their engine sucks ***. But seriously definitly positivly(GET TO THE POINT) talk to one of the TWI devs about it.

Upvote 0
60Mhz? I don't think so. A normal CRT uses 75-120Hz and a TFT uses 60Hz for optimal display quality.

And it makes a difference how many FPS you get. If it's less than 30 than you can see lagging. But everything over 40 is no problem. My PC isn't the best and when there's really much action in KF (see Flamethrower) my FPS drop under 30, but it's still playable.

I'm saving money for a new PC, until then, my 5 year old rig will have to do.

Upvote 0
I am not concerned about the frames per second for the visual reasons, I am worried because on medium setting I am getting a much lower amount than I do on games that 'should be' more taxing to the card.

I should be able to run the game on high with absolutely no problems.

But when I do, the frames dip below 20 during a husk blast, more than 10 specimens on the screen, or a firebug.

EDIT:

I would really like some information from someone who knows what they are talking about, and not just the usual ramblings from people. The super mario guy should not be allowed to give advice -_-

Also, I do not want to bother people from TripWire with my little problem, that's overkill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok guys, I solved it.

For anyone else having this problem, what consistently fixed it for me is disabling any secondary monitor.

The game appears to run fine on the first monitor with no issues, but disabling the second monitor, projector, tv, whatever, ALWAYS gives me a huge boost in FPS.

Running maxed out @ 1600:900 without AA and AF, and loving every minute of it.

Tried this trick multiple times, 20-30 fps with second monitor enabled, 50-60 with monitor disabled.

Interesting that this only applies to killing floor :confused:

Upvote 0