• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Brave Friendly Fire Servers?

MaximumSquid

Oct 27, 2009
I played on one 10% FF server so far, but the place was doing 24/7 Doom2 so it was somewhat Meh. . .

Later I found one doing a normal map rotation with the amazing 1% FF activated (Ooooo Scary!)

Are there any places that run this or does everyone shy away from it?

Maybe I'm just too used to Alien Swarm where FF was 100% and you couldn't turn it off. . .

I played on one 10% FF server so far, but the place was doing 24/7 Doom2 so it was somewhat Meh. . .

Later I found one doing a normal map rotation with the amazing 1% FF activated (Ooooo Scary!)

Maybe I'm just too used to Alien Swarm where FF was 100% and you couldn't turn it off. . .

Do what I did. Select your difficulty be it Normal or Hard filter. Then spend 10 minutes cursoring down each server on the server browser list. Look at the server info window at the bottom left for each server you are looking at for the 'Friendly Fire Scale' to be > 0 and < 1.01. Where 1 = 100% friendly fire (high damage and very unforgiving) and 0% is what all the scardy cats play. Take a note of the friendly fire server IP and and after you have gone down the server list add them all into your favourite servers list. And lo that way you should find yourself maybe 15-20 to tour when you feel like playing like real men. Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've never found any dedicated servers running 100% FF which is something I'd like to see more often. FF gameplay is much better since it adds so much more to the game. Target ID, situational awareness, target prioritizing, well placed shots, preventative tactics, the list goes on. It also completely changes the way the demo class works. No more spamming your M32 on a person around a corner or spamming a fleshpound attacking someone.

Oh and the big one: learning to NOT walk into the line of fire.

Upvote 0
@Widowmaker
I hear you, I looked for 100% FF suicidal servers for weeks, the only one I found was half way around the world and disappeared on me just a few days later. In the end I rented one of my own.

I think Gus and Floyd and a few others will be able to testify that there's a lot of challenge to be had without making the jump all the way to suicidal at 100%. Frankly I think I might be wasting my money given how few folks seem to want to play at those settings.

Upvote 0

Alien Swarm showed how Friendly Fire can REALLY change the way a team has to work. Supports with spread-firing shotguns and Firebugs with Flamethrowers were godly damage-dealers, but had to be VERY careful, as did EVERYONE with grenades.

Due to it's accuracy, the simple Pulse Rifle was one of the better weapons! Which is why I prefer Commando for Friendly Fire!

Upvote 0
I don't understand why friendly fire is not default, the game would be so much better and deeper.
Because the game was not built for friendly fire (see berserker, firebug, and demo-man). But it is a nice option for those looking for a challenge. But how many people would stop playing if every server that had the regular smattering of people not really interested in a team game. TKs everywhere.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why friendly fire is not default, the game would be so much better and deeper.

Because as any Alien Swarm veterans and most FF players here can attest to, Friendly Fire makes the game really ****ing hard!

Simply blasting a clot that's grabbed a buddy can result in your buddy taking a round to the face if something makes your aim go off (Being hit, siren nearby, lag, a hand twitch, even!). And a bad nade toss can wipe an entire team in the blink of an eye...

Upvote 0

It is enormous fun. The day I play a non FF round is the day I close the server.

Simply blasting a clot that's grabbed a buddy

Shoot 'em in the ankles partner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I stopped playing non-ff servers after the first week of having kf. It brings so much more to the game and requires strategy and teamplay rather than just gunning through your mates as if they weren't there.

In the end I found it so hard to find a decent ff server that I got my own. I've seen mention of it a few times on this forum, it's the only 100% ff server I've ever seen come to think of it.

It tends it attracts a different quality of player too, not your average squeaky-voiced bunny-hopping rambos who always drop the dreaded n-word and just care about their kill count. Of course there's always some, but the ban list is getting pretty huge now and always growing.

Play as a team, cretins will be banned ;)

Upvote 0
bunny-hopping rambos

Bunnyhopping has saved my arse countless times. It serves as a remainder of older Quake and UT games and as a tactic that if used properly can just give you that split-second time frame you need to finish your reload animation, jump out of a gorefast's reach and shoot him.
So let me hear no more ****e about bunnyhopping alright? ;)

Upvote 0
It's even more dangerous on FF servers where someone decides that spamming grenade launchers is the best way to clear the map.

FF has it's own share of issues regarding dangers of what people can cause if they don't read or have any other sense than hurr durr enemy hurr durr shoot hurr durr durr without overloading their brains.

But when you see a demoman who is aware how FF works and how to play with FF, it's quite amusing.

Upvote 0
FF has it's own share of issues regarding dangers of what people can cause if they don't read or have any other sense than hurr durr enemy hurr durr shoot hurr durr durr without overloading their brains.

But when you see a demoman who is aware how FF works and how to play with FF, it's quite amusing.

I'll be interested in seeing that for sure!

Maybe I just have a bad first impression about demoman in FF server because I played with one who wasn't so bad with it but he made some mistakes where, I guess with some thinking, you wouldn't have thought right off the bat that it would hurt your team.

I mean, he did everything right, from shooting the entrance when we were holeing up rooms to not even firing when I went near an ally who was near an enemy and healing him.

But some things happen that is out of control. Like one time this crawler suddenly appeared infront of him (from the ceiling, cursed crawlers) as soon as he pulled the trigger and BOOM! Damage himself, but what he didn't count was that not only he was damage by his own launch, but also the rest of us who were near him suffered damage as well.

Another scenario, was when I was following him in the Biotics Lab. He turned right into the corridor but what I didn't notice that opposite of where he went was a huge mob of monsters opposite direction of corridor he went to, so me, who was following him from a distance, as soon as I go past the door and entered the corridor, I was met with splatters of blood and smoke with my own character trying for someone to do something.

Maybe if the guy was terrible, I would have just dismissed it but he was pretty decent. I guess when it comes to FF, there are some things people do, no matter how careful they place their shots or aware, that situations like I name above can hurt your teammates unintentionally.

Upvote 0
FF gameplay is much better since it adds so much more to the game. Target ID, situational awareness, target prioritizing, well placed shots, preventative tactics, the list goes on.

This is exactly why I play FF. Yes I level my perks slower but dam I'm having a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

We had a zerker on last night I'd never met who would crouch with the team using a bullpup until a big guy would turn up then he'd go forward and chop it up. Players would shoot round him or horror of horrors actually check their fire and wait. Now how may people do that on normal servers! When the big guy was dead he would crouch and backpeddle into the group allowing people to shoot over his head as he returned and would get the bullpup out again. It brought a tear to my eye to see a zerker playing smart. All this without prompting. Maybe there is hope for zerkers after all. Well at least some....

I haven't had this much fun since Medal of Honor came out. Keeping it real keeps the game fresh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0