• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Support Weapon combo

Support Weapon combo

• Shotgun and Hunting Shotgun

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Shotgun and AA12

Votes: 40 53.3%
  • AA12 and Hunting Shotgun

Votes: 22 29.3%

• Total voters

Shadowing

May 21, 2009
im having trouble deciding which weapon combination for support is the best and decided to make a poll, i personally like Hunting shotgun and AA12. I use the AA12 for most Zeds and use the hunting shotgun for husks, skrakes and FPs. on the other hand AA12 and shotgun using the shotgun for most Zeds is alot cheaper.

hunting shotgun and aa12. and a majour tip for that combo is to never buy ammo for the hunting shotty. simply use it for one to two waves till you have less then 20 spare shots, then sell it and buy a new one, dont fill the new one just buy a new one. sell price is ~168? buy new price is 224. if you dont buy ammo for the HS you can ususaly get your aa12 by wave 4 or 5, right before scrakes or fp's

edit: sniping flapjack, read my post carefully, then you will realise how to take that 800$ expense bill and make it ~200$

Upvote 0
I start off with the shotgun and hunting shotgun. When I get enough "dosh" for the AA12, I am forced to sell the hunting shotgun because I'm not high level enough :(

The price for the hunting shotgun shells are indeed way too expensive. Something Tripwire needs to look into. I also sell and repurchase my HS to replenish the 44 odd shells which are otherwise more expensive than the whole gun.

Upvote 0
If a lvl 6 support could carry 25 slots instead of 24, I'd try the AA12 and LAW :D (damn inexplicable wasted slot, I guess a knife and pistol take up that one slot. Or is it grenades? If I start a round with 0 nades and don't buy any, does that slot stay open?) Sort of a support/demo combo, but the law gets the support perk from what I've heard. I think I'm going to try LAW/shotgun combo, should be fine as long as sharpshooters handle the scrakes/fps... but if there's no medic on my team I'll go for medigun/AA12/shotgun.

Upvote 0
The more I use it, the more I hate the AA12.

Its the weakest shotgun of the 3, its only advantage being the 20 shots per clip and fast shooting speed.

Why is its per shot damage so weak?

Its supposed to be the best damn shotgun. Wasting 4-7 shots on a bloat when it only takes 2 with a regular shotgun is ridiculous.

Its definitely not worth the price its at right now.

Upvote 0
Dual shotguns weren't a bad choice prior to the latest patch, but now I feel there is much better combos out there. You simply don't need another shotgun if you have the A12. I'm currently liking M32 + A12 + pipebombs. It takes a while to earn enough money for that, so you can substitute the M32 for a Scar, AK47 or Xbow. Once my support levels up the final stages I should be able to squeeze in a katana I think.

Upvote 0
Forget dual shotguns. Use AA12 + Crossbow, this will save you ammo on later waves since one crossbow bolt can do the same job as a full mag from a shotgun. Cover your weaknesses, don't ignore them.
Sorry hun, but even you can't carry that much.

(Im not sure. Bow weights 10 and AA-12 at least another 10)
ok... Maby you can carry that much....

Upvote 0
First off, I follow a golden rule with shotguns: NEVER shoot one unless you can hit AT LEAST 2 enemies/1 BIG enemy or it's not cost-effective!

For general purposes, I use the Shotgun + AA12, saving the AA-12's EXTREMELY limited ammo for desperate situations, and the Shotgun for everything else. Works well enough, as the Shotgun handles all the small stuff and can be freely used with few ammo worries. However, even with the auto-shotty, it lacks the sudden "Drop them!" factor and due to this, many enemies can stay alive JUST long enough to hit you. As an added bonus, you can add a Handcannon for single enemies (CRAWLERS)

If I have a team that can be counted on to back me up (Keep single enemies off of me so I don't waste ammo), I go for the FIREPOWER PACKAGE of the AA-12 and Hunting Shotgun. Blast the hunting shotty into crowds, use the AA-12 in semi-auto occasionally on the small pockets that aren't worthy of an HS blast.

Against the big stuff, use the AA-12 until they're near death (Harder to tell with FPs, but with Scrakes, it's when they charge) and deal a finishing blow with the Hunting Shotgun. It will DROP any raged Scrake (Who, by the time you have it out, are nearing point-blank and prime targets for the full HS power!) immediately with a solid hit.

Ammo and cost are the only issues. It's not exactly a cheap option to use, but the HS 'Final blows' will pretty much ensure you get some money from the big ones to keep you going, not to mention how much you can get from emptying 2 HS barrels into a packed hallway!

Upvote 0
Sorry hun, but even you can't carry that much.

(Im not sure. Bow weights 10 and AA-12 at least another 10)
ok... Maby you can carry that much....
You can. In fact as a level 6 support spec you can carry both of those, then have - for instance - an MP7 too. At any rate, the AA12/Xbow combo is the best because it can deal with anything easily. The Xbow can one shot anything that eats up your shotgun ammo (scrakes, sirens simply by taking them at range, weakens fleshpounds nicely even if you don't kill them outright). The AA12 meanwhile excels at close up crowd control on the regular zeds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0