• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Left 4 Dead 2 Announced

Yeah. I'm sorry to sound overly critical, but many of my friends and I feel that L4D2 looks too much like a game modification off of L4D1.

Some weapon, character, and prop model replacements, a few new levels, some new enemies, maybe a few melee weapons, and a few tweaks to the game A.I.?

I wonder what happened to L4D1's promised new content they would deliver with new weapons and other features? We received Crash Course? Quite a delivery indeed.

I'll gladly continue to play/support Killing Floor while leaving L4D1 uninstalled in my Steam games list.

I doubt I'll pick up L4D2 after having seen the Demo.

Upvote 0
I tried the demo. This only relates to the demo levels mind, but you know...

The visual style is a nice refreshing change from the constant gloom of L4D, but it seems to be very flat and poorly detailed. I got the impression from some of the texture work that it is related the visual L4D had - it just doesn't work under daylight.

Character models are all fine, and the weapon models are good too - even if for some reason they've changed the orientation of the weapon models in the first person perspective (I know, I'm being picky - but why?). The weapon recoils seem to have been reduced which makes shotgunning (something I was big on in L4D) have considerably less impact than it should. Given the amount of effort that's clearly gone into the melee and gore systems I'd have thought an effective punchy weapons feel (like Killing Floor) would have been high up the list of priorities.
It's nice to see a variety of weapons but they still haven't really nailed the benefits each weapon grants in the way, for example Killing Floor does.

The newer weapon sounds themselves lack punch - they seem to have this sound behind them that doesn't sit quite right with either the surroundings or the visuals of the game.

Judging by the way Valve were talking about the "upgrades" that warranted this full sequel I was expecting a lot more in terms of improvements, the infected are no more fluid than they used to be and I barely noticed a difference between them and those from L4D. The new specials are...nothing special and any seasoned L4D player will no doubt make short work of adapting to them. The formula hasn't changed, it's just moved. This is as predicted and I fail to see why anyone would want to fork out the asking price.

To be quite honest it reminded of me of Tactical Ops (yes, the Unreal Tourney mod) when I first started it...too many flat ambient colours.

So I'm glad I didn't preorder.

P.S Killing Floor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this was pretty dull tbh.
The origional L4D demo far more enjoyable, but even with that by the 2nd half of the free weekend i knew i wasn't gonna buy it.
I've played 2 rounds of this l4d2 demo map and im no longer really interested at all - phaps it's a weak level and in the daylight lacks atmosphere - or phaps its because i just find the weapons poor so the game quickly becomes a whack-o-thon.
After trying KF (i know some will object to comparisons but still...) this is just dull and uninspiring.
For all it's comparatative roughness I found that during my trail KF dispalyed far more charm, bite and addictive qualities than l4d2, which as a result appeared seriously lacking.

Upvote 0
Anyone played it today? I'm really loving versus and being infected if people don't rage quit.

The jockey is awesome during a spitter/boomer combo.

boomer biled on 3 guys, they hurl together, spitter spits, they get confused and then i jump on one guy and just stroll off with him, needless to say the zombies had a feast :D

Upvote 0
I don't know why so many are bashing on L4D2.

The game has a LOT more content than L4D1, the campaigns are more varied and open and LONG, there's a new game mode, and there's a **** ton more gun and SI variety.

I think if the game had a different engine people would feel differently. They're just pissed because it has the same graphics and so it "feels" like the same game.

Why the hell should they change the gameplay? It's near perfect already.

Valve rocks.

BTW, the demo is a terrible representation of the full game. I thought the demo sucked balls but am LOVING the full game. Look some vids of Dark Carnival or Hard Rain versus. Or hell, the hotel level in Dead Center is insanity. Charging someone off the 8th floor of a burning building is sheer hilarity.

Honestly I don't see how anyone could prefer KF to L4D2. KF is fun, but is so much more limited.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know why so many are bashing on L4D2

The game is not bad by basic functions and it works more or less to some degree, but if a sequel is always supposed to be superior to the previous game, how come they managed to downgrade more or less parts of the game from reasonable state to rather ridiculous one? And maps that once in a while blocks one route and makes 10-20 second detour every here and then from the few random variables is not exactly my idea of an open map.

As much as one can easily ignore some flaws or issues the game went downhill compared to the first ones, something's really wrong if the first thing you say while trying the demo "What the ****'s wrong with the weapon animations?" among other things. By the time I used alt.fire with the machete I was almost laughing how poor it looked.

Only reason why I almost considered buying the game was the realism mode, but surpize! it was not included in the demo. After reading here and there about the game after the release, another thing that gave me small glimpse of hope was that the game difficulty seems to be ramped up, but buying a game for only two reasons when I might get bored within few weeks is exactly not worth it.

So yes, it's not really a bad game by basic stuff and while this only represents a small fraction of world's entire population, I usually expect sequel to give an idea that something is actually changed and things are refreshing. L4D2 is one of those few sequels that gave me high sense of copypaste dejavu than anything else and I am not a fan of versus (or scavenge by the sound of it) which already over

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The game is not bad by basic functions and it works more or less to some degree, but if a sequel is always supposed to be superior to the previous game, how come they managed to downgrade more or less parts of the game from reasonable state to rather ridiculous one? And maps that once in a while blocks one route and makes 10-20 second detour every here and then from the few random variables is not exactly my idea of an open map.

As much as one can easily ignore some flaws or issues the game went downhill compared to the first ones, something's really wrong if the first thing you say while trying the demo "What the ****'s wrong with the weapon animations?" among other things. By the time I used alt.fire with the machete I was almost laughing how poor it looked.

Only reason why I almost considered buying the game was the realism mode, but surpize! it was not included in the demo. After reading here and there about the game after the release, another thing that gave me small glimpse of hope was that the game difficulty seems to be ramped up, but buying a game for only two reasons when I might get bored within few weeks is exactly not worth it.

So yes, it's not really a bad game by basic stuff and while this only represents a small fraction of world's entire population, I usually expect sequel to give an idea that something is actually changed and things are refreshing. L4D2 is one of those few sequels that gave me high sense of copypaste dejavu than anything else and I am not a fan of versus (or scavenge by the sound of it) which already over

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was originally a skeptic based off the demo, but playing the full game has made me a fan. The game is so much more than an expansion. There aren't little things here and there, but some drastic changes and additions.

YouTube - Hard Rain Gameplay

Play Hard Rain once, and you too will be a fan (and try to get Sob Story while navigating a gauntlet of 20 wandering witches when you cant see the axe in front of you nor hear your teammates because of the gale).

Grow up, people.

Upvote 0
Can you elaborate a little? Perhaps tell us what's so different?

None of the footage I've seen, reviews I've read, and none of the people I've spoken to have been able to make me think any different...I'm not doubting it'd be fun to play - but I'm not forking out full price for it after Valve told fibs about plans for L4D support etc.

Grow up, people.
Are you trying to make out we have an immature attitude?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I am. I can't possibly see how it "too similar".

The weather and additional infected can drastically change how the game is played. Notice how we tried to hold up in the porta potty. In game 1, that would have worked perfectly -kill **** til the tank comes-, but in game 2, you get raped by Chargers and Spitters. 2 more seconds in there and we would have dissolved...

Upvote 0
Changes to the gameplay (stamina for repeated buttsmacks, forcing players out instead of "cupboarding up" by changing some of the dynamics of the specials etc etc) are all good things, but they don't really validate the need for a full sequel.

Even the new maps, weapons, characters and weather effects still do not really, in my opinion - and plenty of other peoples.

Let's try taking the names out of it...

Company Z releases Game X, on the same tech as Game Y, a year after Game Y was released - but with a some updates to the visuals, player and weapon models, animations, some new maps and a couple of extra features and calls it a "full price sequel". When it's pretty clear that all of these features could have been included in either DLC, expansion for Game Y...or giving *some* concession to all the people who purchased Game Y.

It doesn't matter what the company or what game, imagine if it were Activison, or EA. How would this community be talking about it?

Upvote 0
Grow up, people.

Where's the immarute problem here? I can understand that L4D2 content as a whole would be impossible to mix with L4D without some major overhauls in the system or redesigning the basic maps, but my own personal (probably weird and not functional) perception and view of the game is still nothing too spectacular.

I don't have personally any issues if someone likes the game. If you do, good for you. Someone's having fun atleast, but what's up with the fact if you disagree with what is certificated hot **** and stuff to majority they demand answer, explanation and everything and even if you would write 10 page essay clearly from your point of view why you dislike it or disagree with something, it would be shot down with some simple argument or just brushed off rather than let it be that someone just does not like for diffrent reasons?

Granted, there are more or less people being rather vocal and **** about diffrent things and often go to the point it becomes ridiculous (such as some of the boycotters and overblowing things), but even if you are sane with it you're steamrolled by demands why or complaints how your point of view, argument, thought or so are incorrect or wrong. It's reasonable for a person to ask why but it seems rare to see a person who doesn't shove it down your throat.

Nothing offensive meant here, but I really don't see the immature part of this discussion around here.

Upvote 0