• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Intruiging and Well-Thought Out Suggestion: The Reaper

Jul 24, 2009
Dear Tripwire Interactive (and this forum),

I highly admire your studio's work. With additions of great content and fixes, you guys are really a thoughtful group of people. I do have suggestion for a future update, however.

The Reaper. This ZED specimen went through a number of prototypes. Its main goal: To attract a team's focus towards it. It is a slow moving, 4 legged creature. It has a scorpion-like appearance, with an abdomen like a scorpion and upper body like a human. While it may move at such a slow pace, it is very tough and difficult to kill. A team must focus most of its resources and attention to kill it, or it will systematically kill off the team with one hit kills, as it has a poisonous and intimidating stinger attached to its tail. This ZED serves as an imperative target towards the team, as they have to split the team with coordination; who's going to kill the other ZED's and who's going to distract and kill the Reaper?

There are some flaws to this idea, however. People can easily "kite" (run away) shoot it from afar. Any ideas on how to change this factor?

I modify games, and I know how difficult character animation is. Animating this ZED would not be as difficult as others, as it has no secondary attacks and moves slowly. Texturing realistic skin is also difficult. Modeling and rigging something like this would also be somewhat of a challenge.

Discuss please :D

Perhaps give the Reaper an ability called, "Fear". At longer ranges Fear will have minimal to no effect on a player, but the closer it gets the player will suffer penalties in movement speed. Gradually, the effect become more potent as the Reaper approaches eventually killing it's victims.

I wouldn't aim for "one-hit" kills. More along the lines of taking almost letal amounts of damage.

Upvote 0
Why not make a Zed that's challenging on every map?

In maps like Labs, that reaper could spawn around a corner and instantly destroy a team. In maps like Farm, it would be cake to just run away. And why do we want a one-hit killing machine that could very, VERY easily be screwed up?

I admit that I was dubious of adding another Spec, but after the Husk I think TWI can pull it off. The Reaper, though... Not something I'd support. I don't support really any non-human Specimen, because as I understand it, in the "story" Killing Floor has, Horzine was testing specifically on humans. One of the loading screen "tips" even states that the Crawler is human, albeit mixed with animal. I don't know how much further we could go with that idea before we just get zombie-dogs thrown in. I don't want another, "Oh look I move slow and kill fast" enemies in ANY game. What I liked about the Husk was that it was a decently original enemy. It walked at a faster pace, could VERY easily destroy a camping team, but is easily killed when dealt with quickly.

I want another specimen that I didn't expect, basically.

Upvote 0
Why not make a Zed that's challenging on every map?

In maps like Labs, that reaper could spawn around a corner and instantly destroy a team. In maps like Farm, it would be cake to just run away. And why do we want a one-hit killing machine that could very, VERY easily be screwed up?

I admit that I was dubious of adding another Spec, but after the Husk I think TWI can pull it off. The Reaper, though... Not something I'd support. I don't support really any non-human Specimen, because as I understand it, in the "story" Killing Floor has, Horzine was testing specifically on humans. One of the loading screen "tips" even states that the Crawler is human, albeit mixed with animal. I don't know how much further we could go with that idea before we just get zombie-dogs thrown in. I don't want another, "Oh look I move slow and kill fast" enemies in ANY game. What I liked about the Husk was that it was a decently original enemy. It walked at a faster pace, could VERY easily destroy a camping team, but is easily killed when dealt with quickly.

I want another specimen that I didn't expect
, basically.

First, there's no note says that they only experiment on Human.

Second, if you expect every zed to be human, and twi throws in a non-human one, isnt that something you want (because you dont expect it)?

Upvote 0
Perhaps give the Reaper an ability called, "Fear". At longer ranges Fear will have minimal to no effect on a player, but the closer it gets the player will suffer penalties in movement speed. Gradually, the effect become more potent as the Reaper approaches eventually killing it's victims.

I wouldn't aim for "one-hit" kills. More along the lines of taking almost letal amounts of damage.

See now that sounds like a great new idea, kind of like the way a clot can be a serious threat with its grappling.
The Fear thing could be fantastic, kind of make the screen go sort of black and icy, and make it much harder to see and to move the closer it gets. Give it a moderate and slow attack, but its Fear is its main weapon. Huge health, incredibly slow movement...i think this would rock.

Upvote 0
First, there's no note says that they only experiment on Human.

Second, if you expect every zed to be human, and twi throws in a non-human one, isnt that something you want (because you dont expect it)?

1) That's just the impression I got from several sources in-game. The bodies strewn about and failed experiments still in vats are ALL human. There are no animals, and the closest you come to finding one is in the Crawler, where a -human- is crossed with an animal.

2) No, I wouldn't want that. I'd call that fail, depending highly on what that zed's purpose/ability seems to be.

Upvote 0
Making it an one hit killer is a bit over the top but having something that screws your move speed and vision up the closer it gets sure would be terrifying.
That ability alone would make it a high priority target.

It'd also leave the berserker downright powerless and vulnerable though...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not every perk excels at killing specimens of all varities. The Medic is best against lesser specimens such as Clots, Crawlers, Stalkers, and Gorefasts. Every player has a 9mm Beretta and for go reason too.

As for my idea, it could remain to be human, but should look fearful and dark. Possibly a deformed child/adult crudely wrapped in dark fabric resembling patched sheets or an long coat. It's stride would be slow and menacing. Possibly even giving the specimen a black sort of aura.

It would sound like it either:
- Groaning and wheezing.
- Brief moments of laughter.

As for it's attack, I'd imagine it would be a slow attack rate, but a quick striking attack. Perhaps the specimen has blades for arms or something. Perhaps it jumps onto the victim (victim can still move) and begins eating the victim's head until someone shoots/cuts it off. It would definitely provoke cooperation and really push the "horror" aspect of the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for it's attack, I'd imagine it would be a slow attack rate, but a quick striking attack. Perhaps the specimen has blades for arms or something. Perhaps it jumps onto the victim (victim can still move) and begins eating the victim's head until someone shoots/cuts it off. It would definitely provoke cooperation and really push the "horror" aspect of the game.

That sounds like a Dark Headcrab... So the team have to shoot it out of the victims head? What if there is a FF on? Shotguns penetrates enemies and few other guns too.

Upvote 0
Not every perk excels at killing specimens of all varities. The Medic is best against lesser specimens such as Clots, Crawlers, Stalkers, and Gorefasts. Every player has a 9mm Beretta and for go reason too.

As for my idea, it could remain to be human, but should look fearful and dark. Possibly a deformed child/adult crudely wrapped in dark fabric resembling patched sheets or an long coat. It's stride would be slow and menacing. Possibly even giving the specimen a black sort of aura.

It would sound like it either:
- Groaning and wheezing.
- Brief moments of laughter.

THIS. Deformed children that cry and slow you down, then when they get close enough they start gnawing on your giblets.

Upvote 0
Perhaps make them crawler fast (so they stay in a mob), short so you can't see them easily, health similar to a siren's, and the ai to hang back and affecr the players for as long as possible. Don't give them an attack but rather a support ability that makes other specs more dangerous (fear would be a decent way to do this although I don't know how you physically justify this). This effect would function and trigger similarly to the sirens. Firing speed would not be affected but decrease reload speed and movement speed would eventually cause you to be overrun if not taken care of. The effect would stack at a decreasing rate but few would spawn (similar spawn pattern to a husk or siren).

Upvote 0
sounds interesting, but if its gonna be that deadly make it possible so that players can hear it coming, or make the fear work to a lesser extent through walls. ( the thingy emits some electromagnetic field that messes with your mind, ergo you dont need to be in eyesight to be 'feared' ). that way you wouldent round a corner and go 'hello, WTF!@#!@#!"

Upvote 0
It's a good thing, every class needs counters.

Excuse me sir, do you know how many enemies dedicated to countering berserkers already are in the game?
I'll give you a hint: everything that's either hard to hit, attacks from range or is big, bad and un-stunnable.
No other perk has as many archenemies as the berserker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*Bump*

Good idea I think, except for the 1 hit killing or even attacking at all. I like Akame's idea of it being a support spec with the fear ability. Also yes, the spwans would need to be limited.

The only downside is how this will be effective in larger maps. Maybe it moves fast when its far away from the players while not having the fear ability. When its almost in range of using its ability, it slows down drastically and uses it.

Upvote 0
*Bump*

Good idea I think, except for the 1 hit killing or even attacking at all. I like Akame's idea of it being a support spec with the fear ability. Also yes, the spwans would need to be limited.

The only downside is how this will be effective in larger maps. Maybe it moves fast when its far away from the players while not having the fear ability. When its almost in range of using its ability, it slows down drastically and uses it.
Don't they all move faster? I mean...i've noticed that even though i run probably twice as fast as them with the knife, they're never far behind...

Upvote 0