• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Low Light Maps, Searchlights, Flares for Officers.

jefaus

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 31, 2009
Something that I would love to see in HOS are maps that take advantage of different lighting conditions, maps that alter the environment lighting as objectives are captured and secured, and as time counts down.

I've recently played a Darkest Hour (RO:Ostfront Mod) dusk map, and found it both enjoyable and challenging - this is something that should be expanded in Heroes of Stalingrad.

Throwing in Searchlight Emplacements and a Parachute Flare option for Officers would take HOS to the next level.

Cheers,
jefaus.

WWII is not stone age. There was lot of light systems. I can show you one example:

pic1.jpg

Upvote 0
WWII is not stone age. There was lot of light systems. I can show you one example:

pic1.jpg

Well, as far as I know, that is not a searchlight. Try to spot an aircraft with that from 2000 metres. :rolleyes:

Nobody here has mentioned flashlights. Yes there were flashlights in WWII. Those just are not the most practical devices to be used in a firefight, not even indoors. But why not, flashlights could maybe be implemented, if there would be a demand for that kind of feature. They could prove practical in dark interiors, sewers, cellars and so on for finding a way etc. But in firefight they would be virtually useless most of the time. And that would be realistic.

And the amount of issued flashlights was not high in company/platoon level. Maybe one in a squad or two in a platoon would be pretty close. But I am not sure about the issued amounts.

Upvote 0
Using searchlights in infantry/combined arms combat seems to be unrealistic in my opinion.

well afaik there only was one occasion of searchlights being used in combat

in the assault on the seewlow heights the russians put up searchlights to light the German positions

it didnt really go that way as smoke and dust reflected the light back and the germans couldnt be seen
even worse, when the soviet infantry and tanks advanced they were clearly visible against the smoke due to the searhlights, while the germans were not visible

Upvote 0
Which type of flares do you wish?? parachute flares? handheld? which type of handheld flare?
These things could be fun, but again, realism vs ingame mechanics. Adding flares might make the server weep with hurt. Extra physics etc.

With the handheld type there are many dangers expecially something that hot around so much munition. Blindness, burns. . infact pretty hurtful kit if used incorrectly.

If you can elaborate I can give you pretty definitive answers as I am a trained survival instructor and dealt with flares at a production level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok this low light thingie sounds cool and plausible idea. But then again, just think those (ca. 85% probability at least on european servers) russian/french originated squad leaders using those flares etc.

We already have too much trouble having people on roles that they don't know how to play. On the top of it, not even able to understand english at all, not even a couple of words.

I would love this option on some maps, but then again those jackasses playing the game...

Upvote 0