• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Effects Need Optimization

ZeRo_InSaNiTy

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Hello,

I am sure many people have experienced this unless they run this on the super newest hardware ever. I am talking about effects like Fire,Smoke,Fog and the sirens scream all drop frame counts anywhere from 5-30 frames. I am hoping tripwire can give us some optimize options to lower the amount of frames lost when these effects are on screen. I can't play demo or firebug because every time I use a weapon I lose 20 frames and end up dieing.

do you get the issue as well when the game is run with everything at its lowest, beside resolution.

Make sure that in your videocard control panel no such things as ssaa are enabled.

Ill do that but Im running a Geforce 8200m that should run KF fine on medium-high settings as I can run hl2 on highest except for AA and AF. Also im pretty good with computers but should I be using pre rendered frames? The default value is 3 of em but AFAIK if I lower that value I get less smooth gameplay but higher framerate. Also any other settings that should be changed would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SSAA super sampling anti aliasing, basically it takes jaggies out of textures with alpha maps but comes at a hefty performance penalty.

You should be able to run things pretty ok, but if you turn everything all the way down you can see if it improves things, then you can turn on things again till you see what causes the issue (could be multiple settings).

And then tell me what issues primarily caused to have the lag in that combination so i could tell others :p

--------

Try turning the precaching back on for the direct3d9x renderer as well (and maybe some other precache settings as well), it could be that it tries to cache it everytime it happens causing the lag.

---------

Try saving this (right click save as): http://www.kegetys.net/dl.php/D3Dbandwidth.zip
run it and take a screenshot and upload it, might give some info.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SSAA super sampling anti aliasing, basically it takes jaggies out of textures with alpha maps but comes at a hefty performance penalty.

You should be able to run things pretty ok, but if you turn everything all the way down you can see if it improves things, then you can turn on things again till you see what causes the issue (could be multiple settings).

And then tell me what issues primarily caused to have the lag in that combination so i could tell others :p

--------

Try turning the precaching back on for the direct3d9x renderer as well (and maybe some other precache settings as well), it could be that it tries to cache it everytime it happens causing the lag.

Um im using just D3D not the 9.0 version. I'll switch it back. Also turning to lowest doesn't even increase my frames and I still get problems when i fire 3 m32 nades it lowers my frames by at least 20. Its not really lag its just extremely low framerate that makes it unplayable. I can be on lowest settings on doom2final and I will still lose 20-30 frames when there is fire,smoke,siren scream. This is really stupid as all my other games preform fine like CSS,HL2,L4D and any other source based game/

Upvote 0