• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Session banned by votekick...

Ihmhi

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
www.asseater.org
...from my own server. -.-

Sure, the four idiots who did it got a permaban from [AE]'s server for their cheek, but now this presents a problem.

I do not want to give out root admin powers (i.e. console password) to the subordinates in [AE]. That's just good server management for any game.

I want votekicking enabled. However, I don't want people to be able to votekick [AE] members out of the game, period.

Is there a way to protect certain people from being votekicked if they are not logged in to console as admin?

If a good solution does not come around then I will just have to disable votekicking on [AE]'s servers.

BTW, to those four geniuses, enjoy your global ban from all [AE] KF servers, present and future. We do not tolerate asshattery. :p

I don't think it's possible with what we have now. the only way to do it at all is through bProtectAdmin in serverext. what you might be able to do is set up a reserved slot for them to always allow, so they can get back on if kicked. but I'm not sure if that overrides the session ban. so try to add a reserved slot, then add an allow to their steam ID in acceses policies and see if that works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Coincedently I had the same problem on Tuesday. A troublesome 4 even vote kicked a DSAS player and he received a session ban as well. I jumped onto Admin and life banned them and their steam friends but also had to decide to remove vote kicking as well. I will not tolerate Server thieves treating the server as if its their own personal one. At least if someone TKs the others can take him out even though there is no vote kicking now.

Oh and I'd be happy to swap Steam ids of the 4 by PM. Nothing like a bit of proactive server life bans to brighten up the day.

Upvote 0
Votekick has been a double edged sword since it was first introduced several years ago. While it's nice to have a tool to remove a troublesome individual when an admin isn't around, it's GOING to get abused from time to time. I think the "once in a blue moon" abuse that I've seen doesn't warrant total removal of it from my servers.

The most abuse I've ever seen with votekick is on L4D, but I've seen it abused on my own KF servers, including votekicks initiated against me. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you become immune if you are quick enough to log in as server admin before being removed from a server by votekick.)

I've not had the displeasure of server thieves in KF yet, but it will happen eventually. I will probably reconsider disabling vote kick should I see a server hijack occur.

Upvote 0
agreed, majority rules even though abused occasionally is better off than abolishing kickvote altogether imo. seems safe if you are an active admin, but then you get griefers that target only those servers, joining just to idle all day long, kill/get others killed, blocking, welding, forced wipes, skipping maps, whatever. those are way more common than little kiddie clans or other such groups that try to own the servers they play on, and can be spotted much more easily from the console/logs when they join with the same tags and timestamps.

yes you are immune if you log in quick enough, what bProtectAdmin actually does is just remove your name from the vote options as you log in. just have the bind and hit the button first vote you see, it's very unlikely they can get a majority in before you have a chance to mash it. I've been there too, thats when they scurry for the disconnect button like a bunch of little cockroaches, just hoping to quit before you can ban them. never been successfully hijacked before, but in this case I would just do a map change/restart and purge them from the server. all the more reason to run full join/part logs, then you can just copy/paste/click and they're gone for good.

I dunno if my ban hammer is as swift as gusone over there though, getting all of them including their steam friends in one fell swoop :D

Upvote 0
I dunno if my ban hammer is as swift as gusone over there though, getting all of them including their steam friends in one fell swoop :D
WTF?
Ban them and their friend and their families and their neighbors and their city and....lol

Anyway, I dont really understand why did you ban their friends? it's their fault.

More over, how comes you can ban their friends? Is there anyway sv admin can see my friend list once I play on that sv? *Getting spooked*

Upvote 0
...from my own server. -.-

Sure, the four idiots who did it got a permaban from [AE]'s server for their cheek, but now this presents a problem.

I do not want to give out root admin powers (i.e. console password) to the subordinates in [AE]. That's just good server management for any game.

I want votekicking enabled. However, I don't want people to be able to votekick [AE] members out of the game, period.

Is there a way to protect certain people from being votekicked if they are not logged in to console as admin?

If a good solution does not come around then I will just have to disable votekicking on [AE]'s servers.

BTW, to those four geniuses, enjoy your global ban from all [AE] KF servers, present and future. We do not tolerate asshattery. :p

this made me smile for the first time ever today. reminds me of some old guy and his cornfield, and these kids running thru there, and the old guy comes out yelling, "you damn kids!!!!"

Upvote 0
My friends don't act like ar$eholes. If they do they are not people I want as friends. It's natural therefore if I ban someone who is an ar$ehole then clearly his friends are as well otherwise they would not be said ar$eholes friend. Simples
Yeah a friends list of 100+ people and we all give them the 3rd degree on an hourly basis. It's a shame you missed out on a life lesson.

Upvote 0
Everyone knows, if you get banned by gusone's server, your KF days are over.

I'm going to be honest, I think gusone is a jerk that just bans for fun, in no less than 5 posts I've seen him brag about how many people he has banned from his server.

Lighten up and let the kiddies play.

Upvote 0
:eek:
blahbyfblows.jpg

banhammer2.jpg
;)

Upvote 0

Yes, there is a way to enable groups so that you can assign a user a certain group. Then they can login as an admin (or whatever permissions you assign them) and will be able to use those. You can allow them to kick, or votekick, and I think you can disallow it to everyone else. It might have to be enabled in order for them to votekick, but then just have a group that's allowed to login as admin with votekick priveleges, and they will be immune but won't be able to really do anything else that root can. Since I haven't seen a tutorial around on doing that, I'll go write one up later and post it somewhere...

Upvote 0