• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Specimen Idea: Nightmare

NekoChrissy

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Nightmare
Concept
: Slowing

Appearance

The Nightmare is a dark and mysterious specimen derived from the most deranged subjects. The Nightmare is defined by it's black carbon skin with strange grotesque deformities common to all specimens. Garbed in either torn fabric or a long coat the Nightmare seethes with mystery. The Nightmare is distinguished by a black aura around it's body.

- Dark Skin
- Ragged clothes covering majority of body.
- Long gunky/oily hair.
- Enshrouded in darkness.

Function
The Nightmare instills Fear into it's victims. It's mere presence exacerbates fear in even the most resilient of men. One's vision will seem to darken. They're body will grow cold. The Nightmare is the embodiment of Fear itself because once it gets close enough only pain will ensue.

Advantages
Fear: Reduces player's movement speed in relation to it's distance from the player.
Dread: Darkens player's vision in relation to it's distance from the player.
Deadly: Inflicts heavy damage within close range.
Shadowing: Only appears visible within a certain distance to players.

Disadvantages
Slow: Specimen moves at a slow rate.
Lumbering Strikes: Attacks at a slow rate.
Noisy: Groan/Wheeze/Laughter that reveals the specimen's location.
Close Combat: Is vulnerable at range.

Horror
Concept: Slowing

Appearance
A horribly disfigured and grotesque specimen, the Horror tops the list in appearance. As mentioned by another board member:
Fetuses scare the living hell out of me, make that thing look like a rather large-ish white fetus slowly crawling towards you, maybe squeaking some babysounds or just muffled breathing (see: the regeneradores in re4) and viola, mildly creepy (that's as far as you'll ever get with this kinda game imo, no offense).
Probably resembling a horrible experiment with fetuses and/or an infant that warped and mutated the being into a monsterous grotesque specimen.

Last edited:
dark
mysterious
black
long coat
black aura
shadow

Urgh...
Do we really need a dark______ in every single game? Really?
Let's make him all white and shiny for a change, with a large head using psychic powers or something.
The closer he gets, the brighter the screen gets and the more muffled sounds become and the slower you move.

I don't know. Anything but darkxyz of darkness with yer typical cliche 'mysterious' features.
Kinda overdone imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Urgh...
Do we really need a dark______ in every single game? Really?
Let's make him all white and shiny for a change, with a large head using psychic powers or something.
The closer he gets, the brighter the screen gets and the more muffled sounds become.

Anything but darkxyz of darkness.

Honestly, I just want it to scream, "LOOK AT ME I'M AUTHENTICALLY VERY SCARY!" As for your suggestion, lets make a rather bulbous specimen that emits light and grows brighter and brighter blinding everyone so other specimens can munch on you while you can't see anything.

Trying to aim for horror not freakish. Since Killing Floor is a Co-Op Survival Horror FPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, I just want it to scream, "LOOK AT ME I'M AUTHENTICALLY VERY SCARY!" As for your suggestion, lets make a rather bulbous specimen that emits light and grows brighter and brighter blinding everyone so other specimens can munch on you while you can't see anything.

Trying to aim for horror not freakish. Since Killing Floor is a Co-Op Survival Horror FPS.

Why can't it be freakish?
I think the FP is fairly freakish. All new specimens that are being proposed here are fairly freakish.

Also actually there already are 3.5 specimens that screw your vision royally up in some way or another.
I don't think king of kings of f*cksyourvisionallover would be a reasonable addition. (holy crap it's already frantic enough with the ability to see stuff)
However there is no specimen that just slows you down yet (well except the clot maybe).

Considering horror, hate to break it to you but KF is just as 'scary' as left4dead (and that's where all similarities between those games end) and who said things have to be dark to be 'scary'?
Fetuses scare the living hell out of me, make that thing look like a rather large-ish white fetus slowly crawling towards you, maybe squeaking some babysounds or just muffled breathing (see: the regeneradores in re4) and viola, mildly creepy (that's as far as you'll ever get with this kinda game imo, no offense).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why can't it be freakish?
I think the FP is fairly freakish. All new specimens that are being proposed here are fairly freakish.

Also actually there already are 3.5 specimens that screw your vision royally up in some way or another.
I don't think king of kings of f*cksyourvisionallover would be a reasonable addition. (holy crap it's already frantic enough with the ability to see stuff)
However there is no specimen that just slows you down yet (well except the clot maybe).

Considering horror, hate to break it to you but KF is just as 'scary' as left4dead (and that's where all similarities between those games end) and who said things have to be dark to be 'scary'?

Well that is a good suggestion. Though, it's just the idea I had come with at the time and it's easy to expand on it and provide a solid specimen idea. I'll go abouts tossing around the information some more when I'm not half-dead from sleep deprivation because I wanted to play Killing Floor and forgot what time it was.

Upvote 0
Basic Concept: Fear, Slowing, Heavy Damage at Close Range

Appearance

The Nightmare is a dark and mysterious specimen derived from the most deranged subjects. The Nightmare is defined by it's black carbon skin with strange grotesque deformities common to all specimens. Garbed in either torn fabric or a long coat the Nightmare seethes with mystery. The Nightmare is distinguished by a black aura around it's body.

- Dark Skin
- Ragged clothes covering majority of body.
- Long gunky/oily hair.
- Enshrouded in darkness.

Function
The Nightmare instills Fear into it's victims. It's mere presence exacerbates fear in even the most resilient of men. One's vision will seem to darken. They're body will grow cold. The Nightmare is the embodiment of Fear itself because once it gets close enough only pain will ensue.

Advantages
Fear: Reduces player's movement speed in relation to it's distance from the player.
Dread: Darkens player's vision in relation to it's distance from the player.
Deadly: Inflicts heavy damage within close range.
Shadowing: Only appears visible within a certain distance to players.

Disadvantages
Slow: Specimen moves at a slow rate.
Lumbering Strikes: Attacks at a slow rate.
Noisy: Groan/Wheeze/Laughter that reveals the specimen's location.
Close Combat: Is vulnerable at range.

Other
- May possibly manifest illusions to manipulate and trick the player closer to the specimen.
- Disorientate the player with sound cues such as a charging Flesh Pound or Scrake.

That wouldn't be cool. I mean c'mon would you want a movement slowing dude if you're getting chased by Gorefasts? Imagine Suicidal. It wouldn't be possible to run away and Gorefasts hit for sh*tloads of damage. Oh, yah, don't forget charging FleshPounds.

Upvote 0
That wouldn't be cool. I mean c'mon would you want a movement slowing dude if you're getting chased by Gorefasts? Imagine Suicidal. It wouldn't be possible to run away and Gorefasts hit for sh*tloads of damage. Oh, yah, don't forget charging FleshPounds.

Well, maybe it will make even Hard and Normal a little more difficult. Suicidal is ... SUICIDAL.

Upvote 0
Well, maybe it will make even Hard and Normal a little more difficult. Suicidal is ... SUICIDAL.

Suicidal is Suicidal, I agree, but Nightmare would literally be Nightmare to new players even on Normal. Want it more difficult than Normal? Play Hard. Want it more difficult than Hard, play Suicidal.

Off-Topic: Me n my friends are playing Suicidal matches every day. We've never got to Patriarch, but we've made it to Wave 9 and it's hella fun. Plus, I couldn't imagine if we had to deal with a movement speed slowing Specimen, cuz it was already pretty hard. :)

Upvote 0
Suicidal is Suicidal, I agree, but Nightmare would literally be Nightmare to new players even on Normal. Want it more difficult than Normal? Play Hard. Want it more difficult than Hard, play Suicidal.

Off-Topic: Me n my friends are playing Suicidal matches every day. We've never got to Patriarch, but we've made it to Wave 9 and it's hella fun. Plus, I couldn't imagine if we had to deal with a movement speed slowing Specimen, cuz it was already pretty hard. :)

This isn't about a player's preference in difficulty. It's bringing difficulty back to Hard and Normal so that TWI won't have to make a "Nightmare" mode and more "Super-Specimens" (Flesh Pound) that will just do more damage, move faster, or take more damage. I'm trying to aim for functionality, not making the sword sharper.

Upvote 0
It think that this idea is quite good. If KF tries to be an horror game, then it shall have even one enemy, what looks scary.

And about Berserkers.. There was a thread about making other perks superrior againts different enemy types, so in multiplayer we must have all perk types on the game. So berserkers cannot deal easily with theese Nightmares and that auto damage, when near is good idea. (Berserkes could have a big resistance to them, like on lvl5 they don't take any damage from them.

Upvote 0