• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Katana Nerf

Anyway, if you play on Hard/Suicidal enough, you'll see that Berserkers holding a doorway without backup don't tend to last long. Usually when a Berserker owns everything by camping a doorway, it's due in no small part to good teamwork backing him. And, as people forget to notice, he's keeping the enemies back from you! Without him, you'd likely get tied up point-blanking charging Gorefasts/Stalkers and not be able to shoot at the FPs/Scrakes/Sirens in time...

Exactly. I get the feeling that pretty much everyone commenting have never even tried solo'ing as a berserker(and I don't exactly count any mode other than Suicidal), and certainly don't seem to appreciate their contribution to the team. They are in no way more capable than other classes, except when dealing with scrakes, and even that is rivaled by the Sharp Shooter.. or anything with a crossbow.

Well well well, I think the katana may have been the catalyst for these arguments anyway, making berserkers seem a whole lot easier, and very lame. Woo, back on topic - Katana = Overpowered

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here are my ideas how katana should be changed:

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Why do so many people post up their lame tactical problems? Me and other suicidal players dont have a single problem with these lame excuses that 'oh, the crawler keeps jumping on me!'. The problem is not with the game, its with the player. Your just not good enough mate, the solution is, improve yourself.

The point here is the katana primary fire for non-berzerkers vs scrake should not cause stun. Period!

If your asking for advice on how to deal with a certain zombie, then thats fine, theres other 'help' threads where you can post on.

Upvote 0
I seriously dont understand how money is even an issue:
Round 1 I run around as Sharpie level 5
Shopping change to Commando level 5, sell weapons
buy up Bulpup, Ak, Bodyarmor, fil up on ak/bulpup ammo
chuck spare cash at someone.....

only thing I'm not full on is 9mm and grenades! but I've got 800+ rounds of primary ammo.

I've also got Support levelled to 5 as well, so I could get double shotties instead of Commando loadout
Hell if cash is really an issue I can swap perks every round and make a mint!
Level 5 Primary weapons cost

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Berserkers systematically ruin the gameplay:

-they camp at doors and hog all the kills by just holding the left mouse button

-they constantly get in the way of your fire ruining many opportunities and tactics

-there is no tactic involved in using them

-they are practically the only solution for taking out Scrakes and Fleshpounds in many situations which makes the game dumber

I want them out of the game.

You obviously havent ascended to Hard or Suicidal difficulty yet. I not going to waste time explaining, the experienced players would know.

Upvote 0
@Marls
I hate it when people use this as an excuse to reject someone's opinion. If you want to properly respond, actually explain what you mean or your post servers no purpose. They still only know what they know and you have your "superior" opinion; i.e. other people's opinions don't matter because I play hard difficulties and they don't.

@omarfw
Those are hilarious. Neft even has some of their own. http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/products/68846cc54ad_Main400.jpg

Upvote 0
@Marls
I hate it when people use this as an excuse to reject someone's opinion. If you want to properly respond, actually explain what you mean or your post servers no purpose. They still only know what they know and you have your "superior" opinion; i.e. other people's opinions don't matter because I play hard difficulties and they don't.

But its true.

Theres plenty of tactics how to use a beserker, I play Beserker alot myself, I take the point trying to draw in the crowds while my team blasts the **** out of them. For some random to complain about a beserker *kill stealing* and sitting in a doorway is just stupid. A door way is a smart place to fight, limits the chance of getting surrounded and overwelhmed. Beserkers are also great when shoving melee back into a scrakes face. best way to take out a scrake, Sharpshooting works too.

and for these randoms to go as far as to whinge about removing a class from the game. heh, they are just fools that have no understanding at all.

Its Ignorence. I Absoluty slaughter playing normal on my commando perk. Should it be removed from the game because its *overpowered*?

now is that better for you ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Theres plenty of tactics how to use a beserker, I play Beserker alot myself, I take the point trying to draw in the crowds while my team blasts the **** out of them

Ever wondered that high majority of people are not those of familiar of suicidal (nor are that experienced) and have not seen a berserker that actually does something else besides die off from 20 crawlers the moment the beg for money to buy their beloved katana?

Granted, I really haven't played suicidal that much but I learned enough lessons about berserker on friendly fire servers. I know what people usually say about friendly fire, but atleast it doesn't end up the common linedancing competition whoever can outstep their opponents and go for boom headshot. Playing berserker (let alone level the perk by playing the game) with FF and not getting shot every nanosecond requires diffrent approach than the average 'corridor-camp' if we're to refer it that way. Yes, I am talking about extremely small minority but anyone who is a zerker that has played regularly on FF servers is probably pretty well aware what I am meaning.

If there would be a server running suicidal + FF it would probably become my second regular server :p

Upvote 0
If there would be a server running suicidal + FF it would probably become my second regular server :p

I usually play on a suicidal + reversed FF; not actually the same but at least it prevents you from being obliterated by a Hunting Shotty blast when trying to kill a Scrake or to harm people dribbling in front of you on Biotics with Flamer! ^^

Back on the Katana, I think that the primary fire should do about the same damage as the Machete while leaving secondary fire the same: you use one attack for slashing through minor specimen and you use the other for Scrakes and such. Seems pretty fair to me (and maybe set the Katana weight to 4... it won't change much, but a Machete is lighter anyway). :)

Upvote 0
But its true.
[...]
now is that better for you ?

Yes, that is much better. I would agree with all of your points as well. Most people have an issue because there are a large number of berserkers than run around and spam melee attack with chainsaw or katana. A good berserker saves money for the rest of your team to stock up, pulls enemies so that they don't rush the less durable teammates, and stuns scrakes. Perhaps my only issue with berserkers in suicidal is enemies deal so much damage that no one can really take hits often and berserker has to deal damage at melee range at high risk.

Upvote 0
The Katana isn't much better then the fire axe.

Well, I feel pretty safe in saying the Katana is much better than the Chainsaw. I would love to use a Chainsaw + Katana combo as a Berserker, Chainsaw being used for main damage situations and Katana being used as a secondary, but as it is, there is no reason to be using the Chainsaw at all because the Katana is just better all-round. Since it came out I've basically been boycotting the Katana and it seems asthough I'm one of about 3 Berserkers that I've seen who actually uses the Chainsaw, go figure.

I'm starting to think that the movement speed is a bit rediculous too. I saw a medic using the Katana and it is just unbeatable, he could just run, attack, and heal without ever having to switch weapons, if he got attacked from behind it was a simple twist of the mouse and the mob was instantly dead or knocked back and stopped from attacking(damage reduction could stop this?). Even Sirens pose very little problem because he could simply run in, kill the siren and get out without really getting hit by the scream. With the speed gorefasts miss quite often and FP's aren't much of a problem with the speed at which you can move while spamming attack to decap(not to mention the katana seems to do rediculous decap damage and lack of having to switch weapons).

I like the idea of having a sword as a weapon, what with the speed and such, but after seeing it in action it just seems rediculous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm starting to think that the movement speed is a bit rediculous too. I saw a medic using the Katana and it is just unbeatable, he could just run, attack, and heal without ever having to switch weapons, if he got attacked from behind it was a simple twist of the mouse and the mob was instantly dead or knocked back and stopped from attacking(damage reduction could stop this?). Even Sirens pose very little problem because he could simply run in, kill the siren and get out without really getting hit by the scream. With the speed gorefasts miss quite often and FP's aren't much of a problem with the speed at which you can move while spamming attack to decap(not to mention the katana seems to do rediculous decap damage and lack of having to switch weapons).

I am a god with the katana and 2 HC's with the medic perk. The HC's for crawlers and the katana for EVERYTHING ELSE.
Except for clots. I save my LAR+1 9mm shot combo for them (hard difficulty)

Last edited:
Upvote 0