• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-Suburbia

ZiO

Jun 22, 2009
KF-Suburbia_Final (Updated 2-21-2010)

Download:
KF-Suburbia_Final
Download (Moddb): KF-Suburbia_Final
Download Size: 30mb

Filenames: KF-Suburbia_Final.rom, KF-Suburbia_Final.txt, Suburbia_Final.jpg
Version: Final
Author: Paul 'ZiO' Peccia

Whitelisted: Yes

Last edited:
Has no one tried this yet ?

With the flood of maps that came in for wave2 and the small fact people would be tired or short on time from working on their own maps, its understandable that a lot of maps haven't yet got the attention they may deserve. To everybody who submitted a map recently and wants feedback - be patient, it will come just after people catch up on some sleep maybe!

Upvote 0
I like:

The zombie spawner locations. The zombies jump down from roofs/window openings and give their entrance a context.

The cemetery frags. The zombies die is the coolest ragdoll positions when they fall on to grave stones.

The layout mixes open and closed areas with thematic zones.

Lighting and texturing does the job well. It's a night scene but sufficiently lit and complements gameplay.

I'm a little concerned about:

The blocking collision around some of the props, e.g. No go areas have collision too far away from the object they are blocking and it feels like stepping on a garden fork and being slapped in the face.

The door movement is a little off in places. You can see the doors come off their hinges during the open/close animations.

boo.jpg

Well worth adding to a server rotation.

Upvote 0
hey

hey

I have been wanting to play this also. I love the looks of the cars. May have to borrow some for a fun map. Things to blow up yea....:D Sorry it is taking me so long. Been busy with work, going back to school, my own map, and tons of beta testing helping out my buddies. So I am adding this one to my server as I type with a couple other new ones.

Upvote 0
Snuggles10155 – Thanks for the comment. Sorry to disappoint you by having the church non-playable, but adding a unique building like that would of increased the amount of custom content that was needed to finish this level.
I will take note of the trader door near the gas station and fix that bug, thanks. I do plan on finishing the details to what was initially planed but cut due to time restraints. Maybe the church will be playable in “special” edition ;)

Xyrz – Thanks. Can you elaborate a little more about this fence glitch? I have no knowledge of it and would like to know what fence you are referring to. I do agree the lighting needs improvements in areas and that will be addressed as well in the “special” edition.

Arramus – Well more things on the “I Like” list is a pretty good start :) Collision… that’s a toughie because you can block everything off precisely but then run the chance of having the players get stuck (when that happens ruins the whole experience). What I decided to go with which is block things off with a little cushion in areas creating smooth transitions between surfaces so players don’t get stuck. I can see you concern and see what I can do about some of the really unrealistic areas.

THEDDLE – Im glad you like the cars and welcome to use them in your map but please credit “Dregs” and myself if you do.

Upvote 0
Seems i missed a map, this one looks great, will test it out in a bit. I like the architecture on the buildings, they look interesting.

I personally love this map, it looks very crisp in comparison to most maps being posted and even though most don't like that, i do. You've got the general feel of a suburban area pretty much narowed down and your ways of sealing the map is hardly noticable (never had a moment i was bothered with it). The size is great for this kind of map, i never felt like i had to walk huge distances to a trader, yet i also never thought of it as "too small". I also like the small sense of detail (like the phone being off the hook), etc...

The only thing i was truly bothered with, was the one way doors, they're perfectly realistic (how many 2 way doors do you encounter on a daily basis :p ), but they are quite annoying when a huge swarm is behind you ^^

Regardless of the doors, this one will end up in the top, I'm very positive about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Super map. Nice custom content. It's like a US version of West London. Lots of open space in the streets. It has a real "Zeds woz 'ere" feel with the boarded windows / deserted town in a hurry feel. Wouldn't surprise me if this does a 'Corner market' and does better than most expect. Good fun if you have a group holed up in one of the buildings.

These jumpy jumpy zeds are stuck btw.

EDIT: That fog is well mean reminds me of the ol' PS2. It's pretty oppressive how it shuts the distance down. Is that so it makes it easier on lessor boxes of wire and plastic?

sub041009_v11.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

I finally got a chance to play this map. I was solo and only lasted a few rounds. To busy looking at eye candy. This map was great. I love the detail. Definitely going to have to blow up a van and truck!:D The textures where greal. I like how you put black jeans and red flannel shirts on the corpses. One corpse that really caught my eye was the one with the light shining on it. Seeing the shadow on the wall just made it pop. I also loved the cat walks. It was like a whole new level of places to go. I will have to play it some more. I did not notice any problems off hand as far as glitches. Some things have already been pointed out. The graveyard was awesome with the right amount of lower fog. Gave it that eerie feeling. There is lots of positive I could say about this map.

Now one thing I did look at twice or more. In the gas station there is some kind of flicker in the light over the gas pumps. Like you are walking through a bad zone. I could not tell if that was it or not. If you look at the underneath where the lights are you can see a glimmer of blackness shift around, while walking around in there. I am not sure if this is a problem or that is an effect you where looking for. I pretty much was trying to figure out what is was, when I got cornered and died. LOL.

Great map. My kind of style. I hope I can get to that detail some day. The lights and atmosphere seem to blend just right. The sky was outstanding. Love the stars.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0