• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Video] Tank Battle - Cologne 1945

On March 6, 1945, Sgt. Jim Bates, a First Army Signal Corps photographer attached to the 3AD, shot a now-famous 48 seconds of 16mm footage showing the destruction of a German Mark V Panther tank in the cathedral square of downtown Cologne. The Panther was struck by three 90mm rounds from an M-26 Pershing tank of E Co, 32nd Armored Regiment, 3AD. Minutes before this encounter, the Panther had destroyed a 3AD Sherman tank, killing three of its five crewmen.

Bates was positioned on the mezzanine of a bombed out office building about 100 yards from the Panther as events unfolded. Shot at the standard 24 frames per second with relatively grainy, b&w, 16mm film, the image quality was susceptible to any jarring, hand movement, or subject movement. As a result, a number of frames suffered from blurring or mis-aiming, which is understandable in a combat situation. Bates won a Bronze Star that day for his photography, based primarily on this remarkable movie sequence.

http://www.3ad.com/history/wwll/feature.pages/bates.index.htm

Video
Remove the spaces after ".com" to watch as embedding is disabled.
www.youtube.com /watch?v=1qfHgoSTm48

Last edited:
Reactions: NoxNoctum
This is really awe-inspiring footage to watch, but it's important to remember that this is not Hollywood. It's not a Michael Bay CGI-driven epic. Fire is one of the worst ways to die, although none are good. Those are real people fighting and dying. Someone underwent a prolonged and agonizing death in that film. Someone was a husband or brother, father or son.

I'm not saying not to enjoy it. I'm just saying ... think about it.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying not to enjoy it. I'm just saying ... think about it.

I am pretty sure everyone with some sense in their heads will know that wars are ugly and usually alot of people (regardless of side) will get killed in more or less horrible ways.

When you see enough original photos of dismembered soldiers either due artillery, bombs or something like that it eventually loses the shock value and becomes 'meh' though.

Upvote 0
for me a war photo hasnt got to be shocking to tell how horrid war is

this is probably the most disturbing picture i know of WW2
0007.jpg

pictures dont have to be disturbing to be disturbing

Upvote 0
It was taken out by a anti-tank mortar/panzafaust and yes that is the exit hole in my previous post.
Here are the entry penetrations
57540_6_photo1_g.jpg

The story goes that there was a patrol of two tanks, the first, on the crest of the rise, for no apparent reason halted, the second, la "Bourg la Reine" advanced and here is the result.

I've just read a snippet that says that the radio/loader crew member survived.
I'll check.

EDIT this photo was taken three days after...
icare068.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm trying to verify.
Records say that it was taken out by an anti-tank mortar.

"Previously misidentified as M4A1, it is fitted with an M34 gun mount
with MG shield.
Previously unidentified, and listed as Sherman, this was a Free French vehicle knocked out on 22 November 1944 during the battle for Phalsbourg. It carries the
name “BOURG LA REINE” and number USA#3082386.
It has taken at least four hits on the left side, including one which
has hit the pistol port and passed right through the turret."

I'll have a chat with the local historian the next time I bump into him.

Upvote 0