• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Project Aretha (working name)

meh...imma wait for the final release....

but im just saying...there are many people who are mapping just for the contest, this would be their 1st map for Kf.

Now, the deatil is AMAZING you can definetly tell they know their way around the editor, but since this is their 1st map for KF, they dont really know how to place spawns. This makes the gameplay/action Dull.

Upvote 0
Now, the deatil is AMAZING you can definetly tell they know their way around the editor, but since this is their 1st map for KF, they dont really know how to place spawns. This makes the gameplay/action Dull.

you hurt me :'( :p

and then you said to me negative comments weren't allowed on map threads ;)

regardless, i feel adequately sure that the spawns are good for a push gameplay. I even received complaints that it was a bit overdone the amount of zeds running at you (even from TWI president, who's comments i took to heart in optimizing the gameplay). But tastes do differ, perhaps increase the difficulty a tad to see if it betters.

It's hard to please everyone, as long as the majority can appreciate the gameplay we have putted forward (which is mimicking west_london's gameplay), i feel better about myself and then i dont have to cry myself to sleep :'(

Upvote 0
I wasnt trying to be negitive, i was just stating that many maps lack gameplay. This is a fact. If you think that im talking about your map, then maybe it true.

Im just trying to point things out, so people can make their maps even better. Sometimes the truth hurts. but it is then your job to take the proper critizm and put it into good use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Next release: KF_Departed -> won't see release here, but will be directly sent to tripwire."

whats the deal with that??? sounds elitist as all hell :p. we all know you guys are going to win the big bucks, no need to put on this big charade, telling us your map is so great youre sending it directly to twi just so that us lowly undeserving souls will never see its unbelievable awesomeness.

were a community, no need for pretentiousness.

elitist.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Next release: KF_Departed -> won't see release here, but will be directly sent to tripwire."
Ill just go ahead and say what alot of us are thinking....

yes that is a little selffish as well. Like you guys are SOOOOOO good. dont be a prick and let us all play your map instead of being a big head. all you guys do is HYPE HYPE HYPE...

Like its soo important that you have to hide it.

Just cause your map looks good, you dont need to be A-holes about it

Oh and BTW this isnt L4D... I love all the hype everything up like its SOOOO good, then at the last minuet. OH WE ARNT GONNA SHARE CAUSE WE ARE LOOSERS

different-brain-size-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
packages. any way to save them to mylevel?
HAHAHAHA i thought you guys were good. dont even know how to do that. No one will want to add all those textures to there server like that.

You know what..because you guys are "pros"...im not gonna tell you how to do it either. and i usually would, but Nah.

You wont share your map...i wont share my knowledge

Wouldn't be suprised if you dont know about zoning and antiportals....all you guys are here for is the contest, then you are gonna leave, so whats the point.

And because of that you dont know how the Kf gameplay really works (through tons of Kf practice) so i bet as usuall, the graphics are gonna be amazing, but the gameplay is gonna....SUCK

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Damn guys. Did they flame you or something?

Did you ever think that what they meant by sending the map over to tripwire means

Straight to MODDB for the competition and no public beta testers?

You guys are HARSH.

i just want to play it, never said anything about wanting to beta test it.

http://connectennex.com/users/zerreth/temp/departed_small.jpg

when you post that along with a msg reading, "hey you guys arnt going to be able to play this map that is so awesome that we even made a pseudo L4D poster for it, its going straight to TWI because its that top secret and important", you cant help but ask, "why?"

proj aretha looks great, its not over the top original, but its way ahead of its time as far as KF maps in general go. im sure theres a few TWI employees and even Valve employees who would be jealous. but whats the sense in being so secretive about it? straight answer please guys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HAHAHAHA i thought you guys were good. dont even know how to do that. No one will want to add all those textures to there server like that.

You know what..because you guys are "pros"...im not gonna tell you how to do it either. and i usually would, but Nah.

Wouldn't be suprised if you dont know about zoning and antiportals....all you guys are here for is the contest, then you are gonna leave, so whats the point.

And because of that you dont know how the Kf gameplay really works (through tons of Kf practice) so i bet as usuall, the graphics are gonna be amazing, but the gameplay is gonna....SUCK

Speaking as a player and not mapper the more maps the merrier. And the better they look well that's even better. However I will always take game play over graphics. The competition is open to everyone and as I always say

Upvote 0
Had a quick read trough everything posted here (not everything yet), so this reply isn't to all of you.

First of about the packages, if we added everything to MyLevel, how would you go about using our custom content? We chose to do it in real packages so that others can use our content for their own maps at the end of the day.

secondly, i think Zerreth worded it wrongly, i think he meant the next version will be final, not be posted here due it being final and be posted in the appropriate forum (final map releases).

And Fel, seriously, you can even open the map, there is optimization everywhere, it's not because i've only been working with Unreal 2.5 engine since beginning of july, that i haven't optimized, actually optimization was my task as is pathing, and i damn took it seriously. Secondly you're comments are becoming borderline trolling at this stage, a tone of friendliness won't kill you.

About the posters creating hype, well zerreth followed a graphics design course and it'd be a waste if that couldn't be used. Actually that poster is the banner of this map, something to represent it with, like a screenshot, i see nothing worth "hyping" about a poster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adding to MyLevel packagage is easy, i don't need instructions on that, and you've got quite an unsportive way of saying things, this is a community contest, no need to act hostile to zerreth and i, nor to anyone else for that matter.

Actually, i refer to tutorials in times of need, not to forums as there is enough spam going about and asking the same question 20 times is no fun for people replying. I got loads of resources to ask questions to, even teachers. We aren't saying we are pros either, we're both used to working in the Source engine environment, not the unreal engine so we aren't pros in Unreal 2.5.

You're assumption on the gameplay troubles me the most, because you are wording it as an assumption. I've played KF actively for some time (a month and a half after release dedicatedly), secondly the gameplay is modelled after West_London a map which is known for it's good gameplay and thirdly i've received loads of comments about the gameplay being good by people who've actually played it.
Take the time to test the map out with an objective mind and then post what you think of it if you want.

Zoning and antiportals, easy peasy really, took me a day to figure out all the major optimization tools and several semi important minors. The power of tutorials isn't to be underestimated.

Also i don't get what you mean with what the point is for creating a map if it's only one for a game, i create maps for fun, it was either this map or a L4D campaign, which would've only been one campaign so i shouldn't create that as well? Sorry but i really cant figure out that argument.

And @ dextronaut, i wouldn't allow a secretive launch to just TWI guys ;)

- The Wanderer

Upvote 0