• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Windows KF Dedicated Server Tutorial

Installing custom maps using a redirect

Installing custom maps using a redirect

Hello

I was reading through this post and found it very helpful. I just have a question about the compressed maps using redirect server.

When a player trys to join my server with a custom map and they get redirected and downloaded the compressed file. Is this all automatic or does this open a website and the person has to download it uncompress it and put it in there maps folder ? or Can they play straight away?

Another thing i want to know is If i could just upload all the compressed custom maps to my dedicated server and play as normal ?

Also i want to make a 10 slot server and have a mutator enabled automatically.

I found out if i execute "set Engine.GameInfo MaxPlayers 20" into the console of the server, this will increase your player slots, and keep perks enabled.
but after a map change, the slots will be decreased automatically back to 6 (so you have to execute the command each mapchange)

Is there anyway to do this automatically each time the map changes. I am renting a kf server on a linux box at a data center.

I would also like a mutator to start automatically when the server starts.

I would finally like a way to switch between normal game 6 slots mode and mutator mode with 10 slots.

THanks

QUOTE:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. INSTALLING CUSTOM MAPS USING A REDIRECT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the Killing Floor SDK the community is able to create its own maps for Admin to host of their servers. These maps can be automatically downloaded by users joining your server with a few easy steps as follows:

1) Download a custom map and place it in your maps folder. In my case I downloaded KF-WestLondonNight.rom and placed it in C:\KS1\maps

2) Go to your system folder and make a .bat with the following code:

Code:
ucc compress ..\maps\<mapname.rom>
Mine is:

Code:
ucc compress ..\maps\KF-WestLondonNight.rom
This will compress the map into into a much smaller size and display .uz2 at the end of the map name.
KF-WestLondonNight.rom was compressed from 10.7 MB > 1.78 MB. This will reduce download time and keep bandwidth to a fraction of what it would have been without compression.

Upvote 0
Yay i have issues

Yay i have issues

Gday all, before i start my rant this is for the people saying they cant see their servers in the internet list. OF COARSE U CANT. Its on ur lan. If you host a server you will NEVER see it in the multi list only through lan. And if u add it to favs, add it by internal ip. Everyone else requires your net ip (you can find this by going to [URL]http://www.whatismyip.com[/URL])

Now for my issue, This is the first time i have run a KF server. I have run a RO server once before and it showed up fine. My KF server launches, starts and runs just fine, all required ports are open. ( i know its running because im tracking it via HLSW) (Which shows up with ports 7707 and 7717)

I have asked around to see if it is showing up in the net list, it does not.
I do no have KF game, so i cant check it myself.

NET IP: 210.1.207.249
SERVER NAME: [L33t] Killing Floor Server +Custom

PORTS OPEN:
7707 UDP
7708 UDP
7717 UDP
28852 TCP
8075 TCP
20560 UDP

I am a little confused as to why its not showing in server lists for public.
Any help greatly appeciated. Cheers.

EDIT: All issues sorted. Server now appears in net list fine.

ONE more question though, it states i can compress the maps for my fast dl server.
Can i use Bzip2 for this? as i do with my dodsource servers? or do i have to use the compressor you supply?
Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please help me to understand.
Using KFTools_UZ2_Setup_V1.2 lets me to archive not only .rom but other files. OK. Now I`m going update version of my map. I`ll change name of rom file and repack it by UZ2tool. So players can update map (they just download new .rom.uz2 from server) but how to update .utx, for example? Because utx file has same name in any version of map. You can`t change it, because texture will not work.

Upvote 0
Hi, I could download your map file and texture pack just fine from your server.

Let's test your .utx file after you update it with new textures but keep the same name.

Add the new vehicle custom textures but keep the name the same. We can see if the download automatically overwrites my other cached copy or if it causes a mismatch problem.

If there's a problem then the client may need to delete all older versions. This is why I recommend mappers to save textures to myLevel because it can cause mismatch file errors. Your textures are very specific to your map and are not generic for the community. There total compressed filesize is not too big either.

Upvote 0
Ok. Today I`ll be able do it.

p.s.

Keep all stuff inside myLevel it`s really comfortable for everyone, but not only for unlucky mapper who didn`t know about this opportunity and have to replace ALL textures not only on brushes but on static meshes too (and you did huge work when prepare myLevel pack for me but in that time I had already a good progress from build 0_7_7_9).

Upvote 0
I understand all the stuff about mirroring map files but I have mirrored a map which has custom textures and sounds etc and they are not downloading at the usual speeds even though they are in the same folder. Is there a fix for this? Would turning compression off help if I put the full map files up instead?

Edit: ignore this I solved it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your current fileden link needs updating to reflect your fileden username and the main directory. Place your maps in the main directory and do not make any individual folders. Right click on an uploaded map and check the properties. Get the first part of the URL and disregard the end section with the map name.

It will look something like this:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11/05/1234567/

Remember to use the forward slash / at the end so the redirect knows to look inside the main fileden folder.

Reactions: VIRGIL_GOMIES
Upvote 0