• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Operation Flashpoint 2 preview and screenies

Believe me OFP2 is overall much more mediocre. ArmA 2 is miles ahead in terms of graphics.

Other than that I can count clunky movement, all-round graphics that remind old Voxel games, dead and "stiff" environment, helicopter FM is even worse than ArmA, dead soldiers are being revived with a penicilin needle shot, AI not taking cover properly etc. What's impressing is the awesome BF2'esque command system. Very practical.

I left the OFP2 stand with a big "MEH" face, because I had big hopes in it but no more.
That pretty much confirms what i've been thinking, the UI is the only part where OFP2 got ArmA. But then again UI and usablillity has never been something BIS is good at.

Upvote 0
I haven't played ArmA2 but in OPF you could just select the soldiers the order should apply to. The orders themselves could then either be done in-depth with the command menu (including things like "scan horizon"...) or simply with the mouse cursor! Clicking on a vehicle meant "Get in", clicking somewhere in the level or even on the map meant "Get there". If it was far enough away from your current position and they were in a vehicle they even automatically used roads to get there! It doesn't get much easier than this.:confused:
It wasn't too pretty and there were no cool sound effects or pulsating icons for confirmation, which could have made it feel better, but ignoring ergonomics and looking at pure usability it was definitely ok.

Upvote 0
OFP2 looks awful. Think of it as Rainbow Six: Vegas. Not realistic or tactical at all. Here are a few of the bad things:

1) No walking, unless you are crouched.

2) No leaning.

3) Horrible weapon animations (especially when running).

4) Horrible weapon implementation. Very unrealistic.

5) Horribly and unrealistic fireballs shooting out of all guns.

6) Overall graphics look pretty bad, but they'll get the job done. From the videos I have seen, it looks uglier than ArmA 2.

7) Overall gameplay does not look tactical or realistic at all.

The only good thing is the UI seems a bit more fluid.

ArmA 2 fixed some of the annoying issues with ArmA 1. Still, it is lacking in many areas. The mission editor is still very limited. No 3D mode ect.

If they can make the editor more advanced, similar to Jane's USAF, have dry/tactical reloads, change some of the controls, and be able to walk while switching weapons, the game would be amazing.

Looks like we'll have to wait for ArmA 3 to get those improvements... well, I hope so anyways.

OFP2 on the other hand is CoD: Big Map.

I was really hoping for a GRAW 1/2 PC with larger maps. Hopefully the game will turn out some what decent though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It wasn't too pretty and there were no cool sound effects or pulsating icons for confirmation, which could have made it feel better, but ignoring ergonomics and looking at pure usability it was definitely ok.

I agree with you, and really don't understand why people complain about command system. Its not complicated. Like you say for exp. just pres F1 and told them what to do, or select whole team. And some of your units can be miles away - then just press map and command them - get in car/tank/chopper - attack - move. And its pretty much gratefully when you command large combat operations.

Upvote 0
It's simply not very intuitive or fast and was hampered by the AI. It needed to be completely revamped and that should've been a priority for ArmA 2, but didn't happen. And that leads me to the track record: BI has a track record for not improving where it counts.

I mean goddamn, the game is pretty and all and you added a whole bunch of half-necessary features, but don't be so freaking critique-resistant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You know what, that smoke in the PvP demo made me think that this game isn't looking all that bad, kinda. When the chopper flew through the smoke cloud, it so evoked a scene from Black Hawk Down, that something in me stirred. Obviously, though, the game would look a whole lot different on my rig, I suppose.

Upvote 0
You know what, that smoke in the PvP demo made me think that this game isn't looking all that bad, kinda. When the chopper flew through the smoke cloud, it so evoked a scene from Black Hawk Down, that something in me stirred. Obviously, though, the game would look a whole lot different on my rig, I suppose.

Graphics are nice, but they don't make a game.

It being a multiplatform release, I don't think there will be any mods to fix the game up either. Which would be too bad.

I am sure modders can add in leaning and walking quite easily.

Upvote 0

I'm really looking forward to playing Annihilation on that bridge... I get chills thinking of a modern day Barashka!

You are looking at a 4 km x 4 km maximum play area that may be used to create on-line pvp missions.
The blue square may be placed anywhere on the island but as far as large scale CA missions are concerned, you've had it.
[url]http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379877[/URL]

The debate is hot and whats worse, no lean right/left and therefore I guess no roll over and quite a few other things that have held me of from pre-ordering the game.

Upvote 0
You dont' die or anything if you go outside the playarea. You just get a message that says something like "you're leaving the game area" or something.
From what I read there if you stray into the striped zone you get a warning and then once you go right out of the box you die.

Those forums are pretty funny, over the last few months little pieces of information have been coming out here and there slowly revealing how far away from the original Flashpoint this game is going to be and how full of **** CM were when they hyped it in the first place, but all their fan boys gobble it up.

It's hilarious.

Upvote 0