• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Winners of Wave 1 Grindhouse Custom Map Contest

Does TWI plan to offer their critiques and reasoning as to why certain maps did or did not win? I thought the purpose of pushing back the wave 2 deadline was to allow the map authors to take in the "feedback" from the wave 1 results, but I only see about one vague sentence dedicated solely to WaterWorks. Although it's nice to have the list of winners, it doesn't explain why they won, thus merely leaving everyone to make their own assumptions.

In particular, I'm curious to know how DegenerationSPV2C made it in as a runner-up seeing as the map is the virtual antithesis of what the rules required, namely that it's singleplayer-only, doesn't have any traders, only uses scripted specimen spawns instead of the typical wave gameplay, makes liberal use of unexplained and invisible player blocking walls, is incredibly buggy (cut scenes break the HUD, killing specimens causes split-second freezes, the ladder), and so on.

Not that we need to justify our decisions to you (or anyone for that matter), but if you look at the contest rules:

"implement all standard Killing Floor gameplay functionality (multiple traders, playerstarts, ZED spawn volumes, etc) unless the map implements a custom gametype in code (in which case all gameplay functionality must be implemented to support that custom gametype) and,"

Degeneration implemented a custom gametype, and the functionality to support that gametype. Additionally, Degeneration was by far and away the most ambitious map entered in the competition. It was buggy and had performance issues, which is why it got 7th place and not first. In other words, it aimed for the stars, and fell far short, but we felt it should be recognized for taking a big risk and being ambitious. I just hope the issues can be fixed for Wave 2, because it really is a neat map.

Regarding feedback on why each level won (or didn't win), we'll be providing feedback directly to the mappers.

Upvote 0
whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

Wait wait wait wait....WAIT 2 seconds. You are >NOT< going to include these maps in an official patch? Why?>>> WHY?! <<< You know, there is a big difference with maps that come with the games, with an official patch, then maps that you download on a random website. I mean, there is ZERO reason why you dont include these maps into the game OFFICIALY so they really get played for what they are worth. :mad:

TLDR: INCLUDE THESE MAPS IN AN OFFICIAL PATCH... like, seriusly. I dont see why not. :mad:

edit: What about wave 2? Are they going to be included in the game?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wait wait wait wait....WAIT 2 seconds. You are >NOT< going to include these maps in an official patch? Why?>>> WHY?! <<< You know, there is a big difference with maps that come with the games, with an official patch, then maps that you download on a random website. I mean, there is ZERO reason why you dont include these maps into the game OFFICIALY so they really get played for what they are worth. :mad:

TLDR: INCLUDE THESE MAPS IN AN OFFICIAL PATCH... like, seriusly. I dont see why not. :mad:

edit: What about wave 2? Are they going to be included in the game?

Who said that they wouldn't be included?

Upvote 0
I mean, there is ZERO reason why you dont include these maps into the game OFFICIALY so they really get played for what they are worth. :mad:

No matter how original they look or how well they play, the contest maps aren't fully polished, exploit/bug free, etc. They would have to be raised up to the professional standard to be included in the game updates. And they might be, nobody said otherwise to my knowledge. It's just that when they make an official update, the content has got to be consistent and coherent with the existing stuff.

The way I see it, they'd benefit from polishing up the Waterworks level to include it in the updates since it's got that KF look-and-feel, but some of the other runners-up would need to much work to raise to the standard.

The fact that these maps won the contest doesn't mean they're polished enough to be included in the game, just that they judged those to be the best of the lot. That's different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your last statement is especialy true but I have to disagree with the ''exploit&glitch'' free part. Because, no matter how hard the mapper try, people will ALWAYS find way to exploit. Just look at the recently released foundry, lots of place where people arent reachable and farm mobs... that didnt keep them from releasing the map tough.

Upvote 0
A big congratulations to DamDam (why haven't you uploaded your awesome map to killingfloormods.com yet? ;) ) and another big congratulations to JustFilth.

Well done to all the winners and also to Tripwire for giving the mappers the recognition they deserve.

And RE: "3 prizes went to one person" : the competition was about the maps, not about the person that entered them. If one person created the top 8 best maps then rightly they should have gotten all 8 prizes (IMO)

Upvote 0
Thats a huge disappointment, they seemed to have been judged only on aesthetics.

And 3 prizes went to one person???? That's a bit unfair tbh.

Graphics were 10% of the judging criteria, and overall polish was another 10%. The rest was gameplay, performance, whether the map was technically solid, etc. Degeneration was one of the nicest looking maps, but it didn't get in the top 5 because it was very buggy. And filths maps are fun to play, but aren't the prettiest. So as much as you might like to believe that, its just not true.

Upvote 0
Graphics were 10% of the judging criteria

then why is waterworks number one? im not saying that its a bad map, but the gameplay has always been its number 1 fault, while the graphics/look/aesthetics have always been its best quality.

Graphics were 100% of the judging criteria

thats more like it.

if were going by gameplay, then kf-swamp wins without a doubt. theres a reason why its survived for so long as a great custom map. while others, like greencity, and escapetoheaven have been uh.... banished.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We actually never played the maps. We just looked at screenshots.

ive played the maps too and i just never felt any sense of panic in waterworks, cornermarket was the same. tons of custom stuff but the action was dull, and the flow was carried on the back of its custom meshes and nice lighting tricks.

when you see KF-Grevona, you will not only feel the fear that the mod had, but you will also feel the atmosphere that KF custom maps should have, justfilth knows how to do this, so its no surprise that his maps won, they werent Half-Life, they were KF.

PS: im mostly bummed out that KF-Swamp and KF-Brewery didnt score higher. sorry if i sound angry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i wholeheartedly agree but tell that to the ppl who've loved kf-swamp for so long.

Easy Dextronaut, I love your passionate sexual love of Swamp, but to its fault the gameplay is moulded much in the same fashion as Farm, i.e. look for lights...Which is only fun for so long.
Swamp IS a good map, better now that its being revised. I personally don't like the gameplay of the map overtly though, even though I helped re-build the thing. Though it is fun to run around in the dark being chased by Kev like its Friday the 13th, I've come to the realization that not everyone likes being scared or being dumped with the odds stacked against them.
Its a hard map, for people will big balls.

Upvote 0