• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Can not walk through grass?

tgs

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 7, 2009
Ive put lots of tall grass down in a map im making (its the static mesh called hedgehog something i think - the wheat stuff used in KF_Farm). It all looks perfect in game, except you cannot walk through it - as if there is an invisible wall in the way.

What settings must i change to walk through the grass?

Also ive heard something about turning collision off for the grass and other static meshes to help with fps rates. What is collision and how can i change it?

Ive put lots of tall grass down in a map im making (its the static mesh called hedgehog something i think - the wheat stuff used in KF_Farm). It all looks perfect in game, except you cannot walk through it - as if there is an invisible wall in the way.

What settings must i change to walk through the grass?

Also ive heard something about turning collision off for the grass and other static meshes to help with fps rates. What is collision and how can i change it?

Click on the static meshes. Then right click on the static meshes to get the pop up window. Go down to select. Pick all matching static meshes. Then go to view actors properties. Up will pop the properties with all the same grass static meshes.

Its grass so go down to collision section set all to false. You do not need it at all. Just decoration.

Some things about grass. Yes it is pretty. Do not use it to much it will cause lag and frames to drop if you have to much. I had to delete all my grass in my current map to get the frames per second up to acceptable limits. I could play it just fine however most people do not have a decent machine like mine.

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

I love the grass look. I had way to much on the first try. So it looked perfect lol. I was having lag issue for lower end computers. I went in stages optimizing everything I could. Grass was last. I thought anyways. I removed it all and did a rebuild. It helped my FPS by 5-10 depending on the spot. I run an average of 60-80. Sometimes dips into low 50's. I put some grass back in. Did not loose much. However it looked terrible becuase I had it spaced out. Looked like a grid. To organized. So I worked on it. Wound up with more. So the frames dropped. I removed it all again. Trying some other stratagies.

However I am working my doors right now. My doors looked great in all previous versions however there where a couple singles that clots and crawlers would build up on. So I took a measurement from Manor and tried to adjust. Doors looked good in sdk. Had to move a lot of things. Went in doors looked huge. To big. Played some more and now I found the just right size. Now I have to re do all my door entries again and mess with zoneportals again. I also got rid of some more trees and tried some new stuff with the skybox. New to me. After I rebuild and check it all out. I will look at grass again.

Upvote 0