• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flamethrowers

Maybe Molotovs need their own thread.

I was just watching something on Discovery HD on the Battle of Kursk (Stalingrad was earlier), and they went over the use of Molotovs by the Soviets. They had a powder attached to the outside of the bottle that ignites when in contact with sulfuric acid. The bottle itself was filled with gasoline, sulphuric acid (to ignite) and rubber (for thickening I would guess). This allowed the cocktail to be thrown without having to light it. At least that's how it was by 1943 summer in Kursk (according to the documentary).

Upvote 0
Flamethrowers would be cool, but only if they act like flamethrowers do IRL. Too many games have flamethrowers that work like a giant blowtorch (like in TF2, although they obviously aren't trying to be realistic), rather than modeling the sticky burning fluid flamethrowers expel. I understand TWI can't make a 100% realistic flamethrower, since simulating the spread of a fire would be a massive strain on the servers' and clients' computers, but modeling the burning fuel itself correctly is a must.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Flamethrower in RL doesn't have so much "ammo" like in games or films. Personnel fuel tank allow to use flamethrower for 10 seconds only.

German version Flammenwerfer 35 weight 45 kilos amd it was single use on battlefield. I think it might be kinda boring weapon or suicide weapon in RO:HOS if it stays close to real.

I vote for No.

But, molotovs? Why not :)

Upvote 0
molotovs would rock my boat. I can't wait to see guys running around on fire screaming! haha I also think Flamethrowers would rock too. Maybe engineers (or whom ever was qualified to use the flamethrower) could choose to pick it up in spawn when needed? Have it as a throw away weapon kind of like panzer fausts?

Upvote 0
Flamethrower in RL doesn't have so much "ammo" like in games or films. Personnel fuel tank allow to use flamethrower for 10 seconds only.

German version Flammenwerfer 35 weight 45 kilos amd it was single use on battlefield. I think it might be kinda boring weapon or suicide weapon in RO:HOS if it stays close to real.

The Flammenwerfer 35 was replaced by the Flammenwerfer 41 long before the battle of Stalingrad. At half the weight and 10 seconds of fuel. I hardly think people are going to find it boring roasting people at close range.

Reactions: Lucan946 and Hackel
Upvote 0
Remember that the range of realistic flamethrowers is quite a bit further than you generally see in games like that video. So if portrayed well they can definitely be effective. The limited amount of fuell will give it some balance. If anything i think that they would be pretty strong especially as the flame stream blocks peoples their view as well.

Hmm the germans used hydrogen as pressurizer. If anything that is one of the most instable flammable gas types I know ;o.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe that hydrogen was used earlier in the war, but then was replaced by nitrogen for obvious reasons. Even so, there is no oxygen within the tank to cause an explosion inside of it.

Flamethrowers in a highly realistic game could change the balance of a match easily. Like others and myself have states before, there is a huge difference in common video game flamethrowers and real flamethrowers.

Upvote 0