• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Dammage

I still have a few issues that need to be sorted out and then I'll post a playable Beta.

First I have this substantial issue:
Movers retreat but they shouldn't. This MUST be fixed before I can release the map.

And these optional problems. I'd rather have a solution for those, but if I can't get one by, say, Tuesday, I'll just put those features off until the final (or completely, if I can't get them to work until then).
1. The alternative starting view. I want this to be a scenic view of the dam. If I can't find a solution for this it'll just be the usual "looking out the playerstarts" view.
2. The class-based physicsvolume. My drop-pods explode and burn on impact and at the moment they do fire damage too. Unfortunately this kills off the specimen so if I can't find a solution for this the pods won't do damage at all.
3. A problem I have with the rotor blades of my helis. If I can't get those to work properly I'll replace them with a rotating texture and be done with it. Freaking things are starting to piss me off.:p
EDIT: #3 is no longer a problem. I replaced the rotors with rotating textures now and they are now part of the model.

I plan to release the map before Wednesday afternoon unless I can't get the first problem above sorted out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That or go to bed on time. LOL.
Not an option.:p

I added highlights (brighter spots) into the map now for a very subtle "next-gen" flavor.

At the steeper parts of the terrain I now have loose stones rolling down. It's really cheap but it makes the texture look a lot more dynamic and alive.

Tonight I will go over the water effects where the water comes out of the dam again because I don't like how they look yet.

EDIT: Ok, I'm done with the water now, I think. Now the only thing left before I can release the beta are my movers.

Here is an overhead-shot that shows the whole map:

You can click it to see an edited version of the shot that shows the exact borders of the map and the two trader locations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thats a great looking map you got there.

just had a play in the sdk, set the heli's to constant loop and they just go backwards and forwards.

This looks exactly like what i was trying to do on my map but got stuck with the looping sequence. I'm sure that the answer lies with the 'LeadInOutLooper' which needs some kind of trigger to get it to go from key 3 back to key 0

Is that ladder ment to work? the one outside crossing the damn. If you want a working one just copy and paste it off my map.

oh yeah and if i ran it using autoplay from the sdk everytime a new wave started the game just paused for about 10-15 seconds like it was struggling to keep up with something. Obviously this just works in solo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The ladder isn't supposed to work. I had working ladders in NorthSea but had to take them out because when players stopped climbing half-way they were pretty much invincible. They could still shoot but specimens couldn't reach them. You can jump down though.

@Serveradmins: DO NOT UPLOAD THIS MAP for anything but private testing! I'll upload a fixed version tonight or tomorrow that will have music, pick-ups and no floating green cylinders!

EDIT:
oh yeah and if i ran it using autoplay from the sdk everytime a new wave started the game just paused for about 10-15 seconds like it was struggling to keep up with something.
Does this only happen when you start it from the editor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Murphy,
I know you have identified a problem or two already, but this is one you may not be aware of. Was testing this map on the <AKA> server earlier tonight, and there were a few issues that need to be looked at. The zeds will often spawn somewhere which allows them to fall to the bottom of the map, and therefore they cannot be killed. (for example several seem to be under the area where the helicopters would start their loop), and the other batch of them was under the dam itself. Might be that a pod is getting dropped somewhere off map. The map therefore cannot end. When we then tried to force the map to change, it always crashed the server. Dont know the reason for the server crash, or if it is in relation to the zeds being stuck.

One solution you may find for the helicopter, is if you have a look at the Killing Strike map Blackhawk. They have a loop setup so that when the helicopter flies across the map, it then drops down under the map, goes backwards, then goes up in height again, then flies across the map. This means the helicopter would still go backwards, but because it is under the map, at the time, the player would never know.

Other than that, this map looks fantastic. You have done wonders for the atmosphere with the lighting work on this one. Well done. Looking forward to playing it properly

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

Not an option.:p
I hear you. Its addicting. If I did not stay up to late and do what I do I would have not come along as far as I have on map building. Your material and mappers I play with have been a good form of inspiration and learning tool. I remember your first response to my first beta map.

USE JPEGs!:p

My advice (no offense): Take this map down. Forget about it. Take it as a good exercise you needed to get to know the Editor and get working on a real map.

I did not take it down I just turned it from KF-THEDDLE to KF-Silo-Of-Despair. It was a very good learning map. So is my current one.

So keep up the good work and showing us new things to learn. Inspiring the little guy to say "Hey I want to know how he did that1"

Upvote 0
Hmm. They got under the terrain a few times for me as well, but so far I couldn't figure out how. When they somehow drop out of the helicopter (which shouldn't even be possible because a pysicsvolume presses them into it) they should fall into a giant teleporter that teleports them into the water behind the damn from where they can scale the wall and attack. They shouldn't be able to exist back there. I'll extend this and add some more teleporters for every zed that somehow gets out. Directly under the level too (how ever they got there...). This should at least make the map playable.

I had reports of NorthSea crashing servers as well! I don't think it's related to the zeds that got out, but you never know. Can you post the crash-log, please?

I could do a loop if I just wanted the helicopters to fly over the map in a constant loop. As you said, I could just let them fly back outside the level. That's not what I want though. I want them to wait where they are and when specimens spawn I want the helis to transport them into the level where they can be dropped off. So I have to trigger exactly one loop at a time and so far I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

Thank you for testing!

Upvote 0
From what I understand you seem angry because the map crashed your server? What "last maps"? Do you mean NorthSea?
Listen, I don't know what makes my maps crash servers. If I knew, I would take it out. It's not like I'm doing this for kicks.:(

EDIT: I just fixed the helis!!! :D
I made the movers hidden so zeds can still ride in them but they are not visible and for the visual I'm shooting a heli along via Mesh Emitter. I had to take out the smoke effect below them but other than that they should work now (EDIT2: I figured out how to get the smoke working as well! Yay!).

Also added music, fixed a place where players could almost get stuck at and added items and ammo to the map. I'll wait until noon now in case someone wants to post some more problems and then I'll upload the map again. So the new version should be out about 13:00 CEST.

What I didn't fix is the crash-issue, but so far I don't have the faintest idea what could be causing it.

EDIT3: Also added the giant teleporters below the map now for the occasional stray specimen to get back up.
EDIT4: The trader path issue is fixed now as well. It should now always point to the right trader and suggest sensible routes. Not that it's hard to find the trader anyway.
It's going through its last rebuild at the moment and then I'll upload V2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
V2 is out! Grab it here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/278520258/KF-DammageV2.rar.html
or here:
http://www.filefront.com/14509943/KF-DammageV2.rar

What's new?
-music
-Helis don't fly back anymore!
-specimens shouldn't get under the terrain anymore
-random items and ammo pick-ups
-mini-freezes between waves should be fixed now (they seem to be caused by not having items on the map. TWI should fix this, imo so maps can run smooth without items on them. In this case it doesn't matter since it's fixed now, as I said, but TWI should look into this regardless, if they have some time to spare)
-the red trader pixie now always points to the correct trader
-the red trader pixie now suggests sensible routes
-fixed a place near the tunnel where players could almost get stuck

Grab it and test it, please. If you find more problems, don't hesitate to post them here! Feel free to also point out stuff you like... ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can put it on servers. I removed the request to keep it private from the first post.
I think it's safe to assume that there are some more problems lurking in it though so it's likely that there will be another version (or versions) out pretty soon. Especially with the 18th right around the corner. I only started the map after wave 1 was over and I would have given it more time before a release if it weren't for the deadline for wave 2 so I think it's still relatively buggy.
Also the crash-bug is still there (it would be great if someone could post a crash-log, btw).
Other than that, from my end it's cool if you put it on servers.:)

Upvote 0
good job. nice map.

V2 Testing now.

Please look at the JPG file about the point.

Other Error report

Object lost ?
ScriptLog: No Spawn points found for KF-DammageV2.ZombieVolume7!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ScriptLog: No Spawn points found for KF-DammageV2.ZombieVolume23!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ScriptLog: No Spawn points found for KF-DammageV2.ZombieVolume19!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the garbage collecting bug to be a critical bug of KF.
Object? Property?
I do not understand.

Other map same crash.
KF-Cellar
KF-CubicleLab
KF-FogFieldBeta5
KF-PandorasBox_v2
KF-NorthSea
KF-DegenerationMultiplayerV1
KF-DegenerationWBV1

Crash log
Log: PlayAnim: Sequence 'DeathB' not found for mesh 'british_soldier_III'
ScriptLog: ProcessServerTravel: KF-DammageV2
ScriptLog: PreClientTravel
Log: Server switch level: KF-DammageV2
Log: Browse: KF-DammageV2?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Corporal_Lewis?team=1?Sex=M?game=KFMod.KFGameType?VACSecured=true?MaxPlayers=6?mutator=?Name=Z-MAN
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection *.*.*.*:3826 09/11/09 21:58:13
Exit: Socket shut down
Log: (Karma): Level Karma Terminated.
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Critical: UObject::GetPathName
Critical: UObject::GetFullName
Critical: DispatchDestroy
Critical: UObject::GetFullName
Critical: DispatchDestroys
Critical: UObject::purgeGarbage
Critical: UObject::CollectGarbage
Critical: Cleanup
Critical: UGameEngine::LoadMap
Critical: LocalMapURL
Critical: UGameEngine::Browse
Critical: ServerTravel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: Level Dammage
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: UServerCommandlet::Main
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 337 MByte 853 KByte 845 Bytes from HD took 8.226920 seconds (8.091920 reading, 0.135000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 0.416999 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 09/11/09 21:58:14

Attachments

• Shot00028.jpg
    Shot00028.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Shot00030.jpg
    Shot00030.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0