• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Project Aretha Beta Release, come help us test!

The Wanderer

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Belgium, Bruges
banner.jpg

I would like to invite you all to test a map Zerreth and I have been working on the past few weeks. It comes at a whopping 300mb uncompressed and around a 100mb compressed.

Come and download it here!
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35706

Have fun!

- Zerreth & The Wanderer

Last edited:
thanks I'll grab the map and see if I can get in. why don't you just turn off autodownload so you don't have to risk users pulling huge files down from your game server? then you won't have to password it, and pubbers that don't have the map will just not connect.

console command should be
set ipdrv.tcpnetdriver allowdownloads 0

Upvote 0
Have got Project Aretha on the AKA (NY) server. The redirect is working but because of the size of the download it still takes 5 minutes with an 8MB link. Feel free to come in and test.

IP 66.55.142.68:7707

From the testing we have done so far, it plays really well. It gets quite a bit of stutter effect when the zeds spawn in, but that happens on may a map. Absolutely gorgeous what you have managed to do, and I look forward to using some of your many SM's in my own maps, once the competition deadline has passed

Upvote 0
Here's a little feedback from one of the contest judges ;) We played the map a bit around here yesterday. The map is definitely nice, and we had a good time on the map. The things we like are the visuals are pretty nice, the detail is good, the custom art content is really nice, and the gameplay is pretty fun. There are a few issues with the map:

• As you mention, it is unfinished so there is a lot of things that look like they still need worked on. Not a major issue since you are still working on it.
  • Invisible player blocking walls!!! This is the cardinal sin in KF mapping (or any game for that matter), and would surely hurt your score if you submitted the map for the contest like this. You should never have an invisible wall block the players path when it looks like you can get there. The prime example of this is the docks. You've got an open staircase that it looks like you can walk down to get to the docks, but an invisible wall prevents you from doing this. If you want to block the path, put a barricade or something there to make it LOOK like you can't walk there. You should do this for any place you don't want the player to go.
  • Performance - performance is ok but not great. You should look at optimizing for better performance if you can.
  • Zeds getting stuck - this is primarily due to your door/window size. It looks really nice having your doors sized to a realistic scale. This does present a problem with the zeds getting stuck in some places. I would suggest if you have an area that is a really high zed traffic area, to make double doors instead of single doors in those locations. This should alleviate some of the zeds getting stuck problems. Also, there are some places where you have busted out windows (like the place in the center of the map with the boards connecting the two windows) or holes in walls. You might want to make these a bit bigger (like two busted out windows instead of one), as the zeds get stuck in them sometimes trying to get through.
  • Level flow - your level flow is a bit off in spots. The main problem is you have lots of dead end areas. Its ok to have a few, but you need to have multiple entrance/exits to all major areas. This way players won't get pigeonholed if they take a wrong turn.
  • Difficulty - the map might be just a bit too difficult. I personally like a challenge, and this is one of the hardest maps I've played. But you might want to tone down the zed spawn rate just 5-10% to make it a bit more playable.
  • The map looks a bit too clean. If you can make the area look a bit more like the zombie apocalypse is going down that would be good. And make it look a bit more lived in.

Anyway, its a nice map, and I look forward to seeing the final contest version.

Upvote 0