• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More persistent dust / smoke from indoor grenades

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
I would think a grenade going off indoors would result in more and longer lasting dust / smoke, making the area more confusing. Indoor areas would have more plaster, debris, etc floating around as dust after a nade goes off.

Without the large area to dissipate or wind outdoors, I would think smoke would be thicker and persist longer.

If you really wanted to put in some nice details, you could have soldiers in the room (who survive, or enter afterwards), coughing a bit.

Discuss.

Last edited:
and some more....

and some more....

well... found this too... some grenades (1:30)... has good urban fighting... just like Stalingrad... should give a good sense.... OK OK... i know this is Iraq but... as close to what we;re lookin' for as i can find... the last min or so doesn't have anything... just trying to save u guys time...
parts to look at...
(0:40-1:05, 1:30-1:40, 2:40-3:10) that's all the relevant stuff

YouTube - WAR - A first hand perspective (A must see!!)

Upvote 0
the problem with that video is wedon't know what we're looking at. are those dust clouds produced by small arms fire or by a cannon off screen?

and you said at 1:30 was a grenade, however, based on the position of the troops, the proximity of the camera, it is more likely that it was a breaching charge.

Upvote 0
good post! this is definatly a good idea if TWI doesnt implement this atleast a littlebit then they dont care as much about realis mthan we thought, we have yet to see.
So you're saying that if they don't include persistent smoke than TWI has completely failed on dishing out a realistic shooter in your eyes?

Upvote 0
In maps like Zhito, you would like the apparts to be purely in smoke/dust due to the nade fest it always is??

Realism only works in computer games to a certain extent . . . . . .

Yes, I would like the apartments to be filled with smoke/dust due to a nade fest. Just because it's a game doesn't mean we should limit it. I play RO to get as close to an intense WWII battle experience as I can, thankfully without the lethality, and from the comfort of my home.

In any case, they could set it to "ON" on realism servers and "OFF" on relaxed realism servers. Options can satisfy everyone.

Upvote 0
I don't think it would have a huge hit on FPS. We've already got smoke grenades, and that's WAY more smoke than what I'm talking about.

Though I would imagine a smoke grenade indoors would really persist.

I dont think it would be the single or double smoke but all the small animations like nades that would add up . . if youve ever been on a server and say 4/5 sachels have went off pretty much one after the other the server starts to get a little jumpy.

Done right im sure it would be fine, but done wrongly it could be a pita

Upvote 0