• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Katana Pricing

Double_Deagle

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
Well, the Katana has been compared to the Chainsaw a lot recently, for obvious reasons, and I would say that with the speed boost, approximately equal damage, and lower weight, the Katana is the superior weapon for 90% of the situations, with the Chainsaw being better at defense.

So, in order to balance it out a little, and without changing the weapons, because they're both good as they are, how about just not applying the berserker's discount to the katana? Make it cost 1000 for him just like for anyone else. If there's anyone that can afford the extra cash, it's the berserker, and it's really a minor thing, but i feel that it would help differentiate them better.

Feelings? Ideas?

I don't agree. You guys probably play on Beginner or Normal and think the katana is OP. Just play on Hard or Suicidal.

Not at all. I'm not asking for the Katana to be nerfed, gameplay-wise, nor do I think it is overpowered. But I do nonetheless believe it is better than chainsaw. They're about equal in destructive force, but the katana allows you to move much faster, and have more equipment options. Therefore, I think that the quality of the item should be represented in the price.

Moreover, like I said in my original post, the berserker is the class that can most afford to spend a little more cash, as they are much richer than any other class by far due to not needing to buy ammo.

Upvote 0
That's the thing. The damn game is based on suicidal.

Who says the game is based on suicidal? I think it'd be a bit silly considering a 'suicidal' mode is usually one that is tough even for the best players to beat, and it's just something extra after players have beaten hard. Besides, defending the power of the Katana because it makes it easier doesn't make a lot of sense. The whole idea of suicidal is that it is very hard to beat. Giving one weapon more power than others just for the sake of a particular mode being difficult to beat doesn't make any sense to me.

Upvote 0
Who says the game is based on suicidal? I think it'd be a bit silly considering a 'suicidal' mode is usually one that is tough even for the best players to beat, and it's just something extra after players have beaten hard. Besides, defending the power of the Katana because it makes it easier doesn't make a lot of sense. The whole idea of suicidal is that it is very hard to beat. Giving one weapon more power than others just for the sake of a particular mode being difficult to beat doesn't make any sense to me.

Agreed. Suicidal was supposed to be the mode that no one beats. Hitting level 5 makes it easier and yes, with a group of friends, it's possible. But it's not the level the game was based on. In fact, trying it with mostly pubs who don't all have Level 5 perks is pretty close to impossible...

If the game was based on Suicidal, why is Normal the default?

Anyway, yes, the Katana is overpowered a bit for it's cost. But why punish the Berserker by making it more expensive for him and no one else? That's dumb. It punishes the melee class but keeps the weapons' overpowered-ness for everyone else and give no incentive for anyone but the Berserker to use the clunky chainsaw.

IMO, increase the cost of the Katana for EVERYONE a bit (1,200 or even 1,500 isn't unreasonable) and DECREASE the cost of the Chainsaw (Down to perhaps 750) for everyone. The Berserker would still get both of them cheaper than other classes still, but they get the 'nerf' and 'buff' they need without actually affecting how they perform!

Upvote 0
Thing is, suicidal is a diffculty made for players with level 4-5 perks. A cooperative group of level 5's with proper planning can do suicidal without too much of a hassle.

you say this as you have played suicidal, or just out of opinion?

(ive only gotten to beating west london on suicidal, because its motherfyking hard!)

if anything, give the beserker LESS of a discount on the katana...

Upvote 0
IMO, increase the cost of the Katana for EVERYONE a bit (1,200 or even 1,500 isn't unreasonable)

I agree, the Katana does need to be more expensive for its power. I mean, it's an absolutely great backup weapon for any class, and while I think it's possibly a bit powerful I think this can be accepted if it's made more expensive, so it takes longer to get such an awesome weapon.

Upvote 0
Why? Because it should cost more for him to get one of his main weapons? That sounds really stupid.

I agree completely and that was my main point.

By that logic, take away the Commando's discount on the AK!

If you increase the cost, it leaves the weapon being awesome, but 'nerfs' it by not making it so easily accessible. Plus, that'd make it more expensive than the Chainsaw, meaning that the Berserker actually has a reason to choose the Chainsaw!

The mere increase from $1000 to $1200 would make it near-impossible to get after the first wave for a Berserker (Price would hop from $500 to $600, leaving them JUST shy of it without ally help.), while leaving the chainsaw still achievable.

And along those lines, I say the Chainsaw needs a price reduction, albeit sight, to make it more desirable. The big thing of it all is that the mere existance of the Katana makes the Fire Axe and Machete obselete. ESPECIALLY when, as a Level 3-4 Berserker, the price difference between the two is only a few hundred!

Upvote 0