• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What will we see from RO:HoS at GamesCom 2009?

That lockdown feature I think is a mistake, especially for clan matches.

actually lockdown might improve clan matches....take for instance a map such as basovka. if one team is so much better than the other, when that team defends it's possible they hold out the attackers from the first cap the whole map. why make em sit there for 15 minutes just making it more painful. if it takes the attackers 8 minutes to get the first cap, it's highly unlikely they will win anyway. i like that it can reward teams who can defend well. of course, they'd really need to take into account the map, the objectives, the reinforcements, and overall map time limit to make sure the attackers have sufficient time to make a good attack....

i trust that they'll do a good job with it and hopefully, just in case it really could hurt clan play, it would be optional just like they've stated most of these new features will be. if not optional, somebody would make a mutator. as with all the new stuff, we'll just have to wait and see how they all play.

Upvote 0
you dont realize how much BS there is in ArmA/flashpoint, is not "gamey" BS, but still BS

and harder and frustrating =/= realistic

The mantling in HoS looks like the bunny hopping in CS. You don't see soldiers jumping over obstacles lightning fast while keeping their weapon straight and pointed forward.

Resistance and Liberation did a very good job with the mantling, aside from the poor animations.

Upvote 0
And you want to talk about tension, imagine the tension you get when it gets down to the last few minutes of a round, now imagine getting that same tension a couple of times per round as you get close to the Lockdown time for that objective. Its huge tension for attackers and defenders, and big fun. And its one of the best improvements to the RO gameplay we've ever made, hands down.

I'm going to disagree. I don't like artificial features controlling or telling the player what to do.

No, it's realistic. Play with an organized team and you'll know what I mean. But critics of ArmA never do that.

But this is not the place to troll about "LOL ARMA SUCKS", fellas. 0/10

Back on topic.

ArmA is far more realistic as a whole than RO is.

RO has far better weapon modeling for the most part, and a much better control layout.

and playing cooperative does not change the fact that the animations and gameplay are pure trash, anything you do makes you feel that you are suffering from epilepsia

Animations, yes. But you're wrong on the other part.

But ArmA is a simulator, so it is a completely different type of game compared to RO.

Upvote 0
I'm going to disagree. I don't like artificial features controlling or telling the player what to do.

ArmA is far more realistic as a whole than RO is.

RO has far better weapon modeling for the most part, and a much better control layout.

Animations, yes. But you're wrong on the other part.

But ArmA is a simulator, so it is a completely different type of game compared to RO.

Hey the animations aren't all bad. The death animations...

Yeah just the death animations are good.

Upvote 0
I think the graphics turned out better than how they look in the screen shots.

This. The screen shots look really bad, the textures look very blurry and of low quality.

In the video they looked sharper and better overall.

Originally Posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger

Sure you can run faster but I still believe the weapon movement in 1st person is a bit too fast.

The_Emperor

This.

all the dev posts dont take away my worry on the where bullets come from detection circle.

I find it unimmersive and kills gameplay.

I completely agree.

in reality people you see also dont change their size when you start running or aim at them.

I completely agree. No matter what, the person with the bigger screen will have an easier time hitting targets. So this feature is completely worthless.

The only way it would work "realistically" is if the game changed the zoom amount depending on the size of the monitor. Even then, the system will be awkward.

This zoom also maligns the iron sights and makes it seem like the players face is too close to the weapon.

in reality people dont look twice as small

Even with the crappy zoom, it will still look smaller on a 19" monitor. OR a 17". Fact. In real life, the size of a person does not change when you bring your weapon sights up. Fact.

You can't fix it. It is one of those things that you can never realistically portray in a video game. At least not with common hardware.

Leave it the way it was.

Upvote 0
actually lockdown might improve clan matches....take for instance a map such as basovka. if one team is so much better than the other, when that team defends it's possible they hold out the attackers from the first cap the whole map. why make em sit there for 15 minutes just making it more painful. if it takes the attackers 8 minutes to get the first cap, it's highly unlikely they will win anyway. i like that it can reward teams who can defend well. of course, they'd really need to take into account the map, the objectives, the reinforcements, and overall map time limit to make sure the attackers have sufficient time to make a good attack....

i trust that they'll do a good job with it and hopefully, just in case it really could hurt clan play, it would be optional just like they've stated most of these new features will be. if not optional, somebody would make a mutator. as with all the new stuff, we'll just have to wait and see how they all play.

We've hold basovka at trench for 12 minutes against suomi in the past and still lost the map.

Although im not a fan of lockdown i doubt it will have that much of an impact, i would rather prefer that after the lockdown period is over the spawns move so the cap becomes harder to defend easier to cap so the attackers are not stuck in the spawn for the entire game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have friends with 14" and 15" monitors who have bought the game but they don't play it because its impossible and completely unfair for them to pixelhunt, and you claim is fair for everybody?, they will allways be at a disadvantage, but at least they will be able to play the damn game!

we have our 19, 22 and 24 and we are happy with them, so yeah, its better to call them pussies until they buy a new monitor as long as we can keep rubbing our cocks thinking about the l33tnes of having a totally hardcore unrealistic perspective, just because that feature is in other games like CoD?... oh wait but that feature is in your oh so realistic "Operation Flashpoint" and "ArmA" too

more realistic FOV will also make the engagement ranges realistic too, i just dont see why it should be harder than RL to shoot at someone.
TWI's philosophy is: if its easy in real life, the realistic option is that it should be easy in game, not the opposite

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have friends with 14" and 15" monitors who have bought the game but they don't play it because its impossible and completely unfair for them to pixelhunt, and you claim is fair for everybody?, they will allways be at a disadvantage, but at least they will be able to play the damn game!
their disadvantage will only be greater, immagine those friends of yours with their 14'' screen having to spot while moving around the maps, ambushed players zooming in on them with their 24'' screens. they will go from a 2x disadvantge to a 4x disadvantge

Upvote 0
their disadvantage will only be greater, immagine those friends of yours with their 14'' screen having to spot while moving around the maps, ambushed players zooming in on them with their 24'' screens. they will go from a 2x disadvantge to a 4x disadvantge

they CAN'T even play now, is not about disadvantage, is that they can't see ****

and also, in what kind of reality soldiers go spotting things while moving around?, get in cover first before get in the open this is not CS

also, what do you say about ArmA/Flashpoint having that feature? the so called "war simulators", never seen you ***** about the zoom there

Upvote 0
Who on earth except people in the 3rd world uses a 14" screen? Even gamers with 17" are a minority. The prices of widescreen monitors are as low as never before and I couldn't imagine anymore to play with something smaller than 22" (got 24").
However I'm still not a fan of zooming while aiming. Seems very very unrealistic to me, even if on your screen everything is twice as small as in RL

Upvote 0
when rewatching the vid, the zoom does seem extreme. won't that mean that as soon as you expose yourself, you will get sniped instantly by people who seem so far away that you can hardly see them when not zooming at them. does it really need to be made more easy to shoot people, than how it currently is in RO?

I hope the zoom is only for the relaxed mode because I will never play it ;)

What annoys me the most is that TWI are suggesting that aim zoom is realistic. No it is not realistic. Yes it may correct some perspective issues at the point of firing but it totally ruins immersion. We may as well all have scopes on our pistols and smg's.

Please don't :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not really, right now you can pixel hunt people with the almighty 24" from far away when people with weaker machines can't even see you at all. I could say that is an infinite advantage for you.

Said that, with aim zoom, while the engagement distance is the same, you can hit them easily than before but they will have the possibility to hit you too, maybe they will have to pixel hunt you but hey... they are having a chance at last.

You will get advantage at very long distances? Sure, but at fair distances both of you will have a chance.

Thats my 2 centavos. :D

Upvote 0
I hope the zoom is only for the relaxed mode because I will never play it ;)

What annoys me the most is that TWI are suggesting that aim zoom is realistic. No it is not realistic. Yes it may correct some perspective issues at the point of firing but it totally ruins immersion. We may as well all have scopes on our pistols and smg's.

Please don't :(

Sorry for the dbl post.

If they are correcting the perspective, how it's getting less realistic?

We will lose immersion because of the zoom, but will gain immersion by having a more realistic engagement distance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The mantling in HoS looks like the bunny hopping in CS. You don't see soldiers jumping over obstacles lightning fast while keeping their weapon straight and pointed forward.

Resistance and Liberation did a very good job with the mantling, aside from the poor animations.

To help with your above I will quote a wise man . .

ALPHA, do you speak it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry for the dbl post.

If they are correcting the perspective, how it's getting less realistic?

We will lose immersion because of the zoom, but will gain immersion by having a more realistic engagement distance.

Because when you look over the sights of a weapon it does not zoom in. Sorry, how is zooming in creating a more realistic engagement distance? The players are still going to be the same distance from each other, just that each player will now have an invisible scope on their weapons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because when you look over the sights of a weapon it does not zoom in. Sorry, how is zooming in creating a more realistic engagement distance? The players are still going to be the same distance from each other, just that each player will now have an invisible scope on their weapons.

With the zoom, people can start battles effectively at longer ranges, making bullet drop really kick in. And maybe stop that guy with the MP40 or PPSh to pixel snipe you.

At RO:Ost, there are few maps that you must really put bullet drop into account. There are even posts at this forum saying its like shooting with laser guns actually.

Today when pixel sniping that guy that seems far away you just put your aim over him and shoot as he is not really that far away in reality and bullet drop will not enter the equation, but with the zoom when you get the need to pixel snipe you will need to take the bullet drop into account and that will add to the difficulty and immersion.

Well, thats my point and i hope you understand it as my English is not so good.

Upvote 0