• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit detection

Hit detection

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
JUST WRONG, game will die fast because it's not going to be unique, we are not compare it to COD per se but just saying it can become like many others and therefore become "JUST AN OTHER WW2" game
We all wish TW and RO all the best so Critisism is important and any decision can be revoked.

What? It doesn't look like a dime-a-dozen shooter at the time- it still looks like Red Orchestra. It's just more accessible. There's still the realism mode which isn't going to have most of the hints, and then there's relaxed realism, for the new comers and casual players.

Upvote 0
Though it's unrealistic to see a flashing thingy telling you where the bullet came from in real life, it's also unrealistic to not sense (by hearing) the direction of the bullet in real life.

I for one, cannot play with my full 5.1 sound going, and have to play with earphones.

This is a compromise. TW needs to balance the fact that almost all of our our information / situation awareness comes visually ina game, while in real life our other senses come more into play.

Upvote 0
I'm glad I've never been on the receiving end of real bullet fire.

I wonder if any of our veterans could tell us how much directional cues you really get from bullet reports.

On the topic of bullet reports, many were complaining about the lack of bullet cracks, and just whizzes. I thought cracks only happened with super-sonic (rifle rounds). What we mostly saw on the vid were SMG / pistol rounds which are definately subsonic. That and it's an alpha.

Upvote 0
Heh, I voted yes - because I thought this had to do with the damage modelling (CS and all that). Just later on I realized it was about the shot direction system (or whatever). What I can say is that I don't like it in it's current state. Sure, if you're hit in the back of your leg, shouldnt you feel that? But for the love of god, don't show the exact direction from where the bullet came! Or at all when it dosn't hit you! Just a rough left/right/front/back hit indicator would be okay with me.

EDIT: Now that Iv'e read Ramm's post I see that its more or less like what I described... So yes, I find it okay in relaxed realism mode, but it's got to go in realistic mode ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I say no, dump it.
It looks to gamey and it breaks immersion a lot. RO is supposed to make you feel like your in a war, right?

Personally i dislike the mere thought of a 'relaxed realism' mode.
I say the general crowd has taken more then enough games with unique realism features in them and they have had enough.
Now i know TWI isn't going to pull a Vegas or GRAW on us, but the mere thought of giving in even a single bit to 'the crowd' just appals me. Yet on the other hand i completely understand why they do or have to do it, and there isnt a thing that can be done to stop it.
I really do need that filter option to filter out all the 'semi-realism'-servers though, i'll be afraid i'll do something drastic if i enter the wrong ones all the time... :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I say no, dump it.
It looks to gamey and it breaks immersion a lot. RO is supposed to make you feel like your in a war, right?

Personally i dislike the mere thought of a 'relaxed realism' mode.
I say the general crowd has taken more then enough games with unique realism features in them and they have had enough.
Now i know TWI isn't going to pull a Vegas or GRAW on us, but the mere thought of giving in even a single bit to 'the crowd' just appals me. Yet on the other hand i completely understand why they do or have to do it, and there isnt a thing that can be done to stop it.
I really do need that filter option to filter out all the 'semi-realism'-servers though, i'll be afraid i'll do something drastic if i enter the wrong ones all the time... :p

If there is no appeal to new players and a learning steeper than Dwarf Fortress with no wiki, the community will be far to small. Besides, there will be tons of realism servers- I'm sure of it.

Upvote 0
Though it's unrealistic to see a flashing thingy telling you where the bullet came from in real life, it's also unrealistic to not sense (by hearing) the direction of the bullet in real life.

I for one, cannot play with my full 5.1 sound going, and have to play with earphones.

Then invest in better speakers. My 10 year old speakers have been working great for all my games. I can easily pinpoint the location of an enemy from the shot of their weapon in RO, as well as most other games. It is not 2.1 either. Just normal old speakers. Sata: Multimedia Speakers. Never even heard of the brand name, but it works extremely well.

Unless, of course, it is from a sniper from a very far distance. Which is something this system will also destroy.

I don't even want it to be an option. Of course, single player I am completely fine with it being an option, but not for multiplayer.

If by "earphones" you mean ear plugs, well, those are awful for games and I suggest getting a proper headset or head phones.

You will be at a disadvantage if you have piss poor hardware. But that is gaming. I have a 19" widescreen. Some people might have a 24", and they will be able to hit me from a much further distance much quicker and more easily. But as I said, that is gaming, especially PC gaming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i said i don't give a _____. i can't remember who said it, but i agreed with them. in RO, you're most likely not going to get hit twice anyway.....9/10 times, you will get killed by one shot and never have the chance to see where it came from anyway. if you get hit, you're most likely going to be able to figure out where from, so long as you have good hearing and good vision. either way, it won't matter cause you're dead where you stand anywy and a little indicator isn't going to save you.

unrealistic yes, harmful to gameplay, not really. optional server feature.....why does it matter then? you don't like it, don't use it.

Upvote 0
Remember that there are 2 layers of hit detection being discussed here.

The indicator that says you've been shot from 'X' direction, this one has some base in reality but you'll probably be dead anyway.

There's another indicator that flashes when a bullet passes by you but doesn't hit. This is the one that you should be concerned about.

I've been asking around people who've been shot at and so far all of them have said you can't tell where a bullet came from quickly without seeing the flash/smoke of the gun. One said you could work out the direction by tracing back from the impact point to the sound of the gunshot but that's allot slower than a instant indicator flash.

Upvote 0
sorry, i just read the title of the poll, which is hit detection, not incoming fire indicator ;)

to go along with the poll, i don't care about hit detection either way, plus it will be optional anyway so it won't matter.

incoming fire indicator however, which i guess CCCP is referring too maybe???, there is no way that should be in RO period. not in "relaxed realism", "realistic", or "let's make it easy for the COD fanboys" modes....it's completely unrealistic and not RO so there is no reason to even add it just as optional. tell people to use their eyes and ears to figure out where fire is coming from :rolleyes:

Upvote 0