• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO:Ostfront 41-45 and RO:Heroes of Stalingrad Comparison

Ralfst3r

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
The Netherlands
I think it's a cool PR idea if TWI would compare the new game to the old one. This way you can see how the game progressed in graphics, HUD and features.

Here's my fail attempt, but you can see some great leaps forward from it already:

Comparison1.jpg

Comparison2.jpg

Comparison3.jpg

Edit: Notice how the PPsch41 is now held by stock, rather than by the magazine. You can see a thumb :)

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what they do with gore this time around.
We've seen blood puddles in some screenshots, which look really good to me btw, but it also makes me wonder what else will be there.
Ostfront's depiction of gore was not over the top, but good, and even though the blood textures were always the same every time, for some reason it never started to look old to me.
Even though i know what itll look like, i usually check up nade victims every time :D
What i've always missed though are bullet holes, which could also be a useful reference for SMG soldiers over distance: if i aim this high at that distance, bullets will enter the body here and here etc.

Upvote 0
Maybe you're not wearing your glasses? :)

i dont wear any glasses and see perfectly fine

but imo HoS looks SO dirty it allready looks like low res textures
i know the textures are good, and you often see that they are way better than Ost's but all that extreme dirt (even when realistic) reminds me of those early textures in FPS games (around 1998-99)

Upvote 0

i know the textures are good, and you often see that they are way better than Ost's but all that extreme dirt (even when realistic) reminds me of those early textures in FPS games (around 1998-99)
It doesn't look like low-res textures too me. Just TOO detailed.
Such details such be less defined and more fine-grained. But Unreal Engine 3.0 doesn't support detail textures afaik.
It does look much better from a distance in the rail boxcar screenshot, however the buildings behind it suffer from repeating textures.

And I hope I don't get punished by saying this; but I actually like the blur in the PPSh screenshot. It's not too blurry as all details are clear enough, any threat seems visible aswell.
The one thing I'm dying to experience are the new sounds and soundsystem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Such details such be less defined and more fine-grained. But Unreal Engine 3.0 doesn't supported detail textures afaik.
It does look much better from a distance in the rail boxcar screenshot, however the buildings behind it suffer from repeating textures.

And I hope I don't get punished by saying this; but I actually like the blur in the PPSh screenshot. It's not too blurry as all details are clear enough, any threat seems visible aswell.

Yes it does. Not just in the same way as UE 2.5.

Upvote 0
Such details such be less defined and more fine-grained. But Unreal Engine 3.0 doesn't support detail textures afaik.

I'm in full agreement with the sound. I LOVED the mod for its sound intensity (IE the loud clomping footsteps, especially on wood).

Upvote 0

making the graphics dirty doesnt make the graphics look worse its more realistic...

Upvote 0
Thank God! So it's still possible to add small details without using ultra-high resolution textures?
Normal maps are often confused with detail textures though.

Yes, you can have as many textures as you want in one material (material is the thing that is assigned to a surface).

There are ways to have detail textures and macro textures in one single material.

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3mated3.htm

Upvote 0
RO2 looks a whole lot dirtier and darker. It seems that they are taking the visuals of RO2 a bit more into the direction of the mod, which was also darker than RO:OST. I like that.

One thing I don't like about the new screens is the blur. I hope they will remove that "feature", or at least add an option to turn that off (including rear sight blur).

But overall I really like the screenshots

Upvote 0
RO2 looks a whole lot dirtier and darker. It seems that they are taking the visuals of RO2 a bit more into the direction of the mod, which was also darker than RO:OST. I like that.

One thing I don't like about the new screens is the blur. I hope they will remove that "feature", or at least add an option to turn that off (including rear sight blur).

But overall I really like the screenshots

You didn't play Jucha, huh? :D

But actually I like that new dirty and gritty look a lot more than Ostfronts often too clean looking.

Upvote 0
thanks guys for bashing me :rolleyes:

all i said was that from my personal point of view i like the screenshots of RO:Ost posted above more than the new RO:HoS screenshots

im fully aware that technically UE3 looks way better

i also stated that this may be due to the alpha version of the game as there is no AA and somewhere a dev said that those screenshots were taken under win-xp (so no dx10) could be wrong tho

Upvote 0