• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RE: Body Blocking pros/cons

Gunthak

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
RE: Body Blocking pros/cons

Two points about hard player collision body blocking in KF:

1) Using body blocking to be a d!ck:
To all the punks out there who think it's amusing to body block their fellow players in doorways or stairwells, you suck. Stop being lame. A special flipping of the bird to the two numbskulls on the large public Heresy Beta server yesterday, who teamed up to body block 6-7 people as a Patriarch charged.

For normal, considerate players - always be aware of your teammates' need to move. If you see someone decap'ing a FP, you know damn well that person needs to run like hell from the headless mofo. Don't block that person in. If you're on either side of someone chainsawing a Scrake, don't block them in. If you do, have the courtesy to cover the sides of the Scrake from trash enemies.

2) Using body blocking to your advantage:
I see surprisingly few people attempting to body block the Fleshpound. It's one of the best tactics. Quite simply: if you put your character in front of a charging FP--as it charges someone else--without attacking, you will effectively delay and block the FP's movement for a couple of seconds. Without taking any damage. This can be a lifesaver for the chase victim.

This can be enhanced, of course. Two or three people can form a wall and completely halt the FP's charge. He will freeze on those people until the 'end' of his intended charge. At this point you can a) annihilate him with 2 or more chainsaws, as he's undoubedtly been softended by grenades while halted, or b) if the chase victim runs out of range during the body wall block, the FP will select one of the body blockers as a new target; proceed to decap.

So many people disperse like rats on a sinking ship when the FP charges, as if he'll turn on them mid-charge. He doesn't do that. I say stop him in his tracks as he seeks his victim. It doesn't hurt. It controls him. It slays him. >

FP lock on the first target he see. He will not attack anyone else until that target is dead, the fleshpounder is dead or the target goes out from the fleshpounders line of sight (in which case he select the closest player he got line of sight too - often the berserker).

Everyone that is not IT can (and probably should) act as blockers so the fleshpounder cant reach his target. This goes double for chainsaw users.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure most times I try to block the Flesh Pound it attacks me...

The tactic doesn't work if you're the one he's charging at to begin with.

Otherwise, I've never, EVER seen him attack someone who blocked. Ever.

I'm a medic, and to further increase the chances of survival for my peers, I body block, and often. And I, personally, have never been attacked for doing it.

To the OP, Cheers.

Upvote 0

To all the punks out there who think it's amusing to body block their fellow players in doorways or stairwells, you suck. Stop being lame. A special flipping of the bird to the two numbskulls on the large public Heresy Beta server yesterday, who teamed up to body block 6-7 people as a Patriarch charged.

For normal, considerate players - always be aware of your teammates' need to move. If you see someone decap'ing a FP, you know damn well that person needs to run like hell from the headless mofo. Don't block that person in. If you're on either side of someone chainsawing a Scrake, don't block them in. If you do, have the courtesy to cover the sides of the Scrake from trash enemies.

You do realize that by complaining about what they did, you're giving them EXACTLY the sort of attention that they wanted, right?

Anyway, for the positive aspects of it, yes, it can be amazing. As a Berserker, it's one of my main tactics because a Zerker can not only dish out HUGE damage while blocking but with a Chainsaw, can stun anything short of a Fleshpound while he blocks, either with constant Primary Fire or (In the case of a Skrake) stunning with the secondary fire. Believe me, your Sharpshooter or Firebug will appreciate it when you step in front of those Skrakes and take 'em out!

Upvote 0
In that case this obvious bug needs fixing. :rolleyes:

Not at all. It is the flesh pounds behavior to target and attack a single character, to the exclusion of anything else.
This is what makes the FP so dangerous against newbie pugs, because they simply think "hey, it's not after me, I can shoot it all I want!". or "BIG SCARY THING OFMG.":rolleyes:

Players in general are pretty hard to kill, save for when enemies concentrate on killing them. Usually, if someone gets too beat up by gorefeasts, or clots, or sirens...etc...they can run behind their defensive line, or simply run away in general. Not so with fleshpounds. As they follow a target until either it, or they are dead.:rolleyes:

So frankly, blocking one from reaching it's intended target is by no means a glitch. Because generally, "blocking" them will only slow them down, as they kind of slip past/shove you out of the way. But just giving your buddy a little head start is help enough.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So frankly, blocking one from reaching it's intended target is by no means a glitch.
Did anyone say it was? Sorry, I didn't mean that the ability to block was a glitch. :D

I just feel that it's a shame all enemies in this game tend to focus on players half a mile from them if they can see them, even if there are many players in its path towards this player. And even while they are attacking him. It just seems very unrealistic that he'd completely ignore everything else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did anyone say it was? Sorry, I didn't mean that the ability to block was a glitch. :D

I just feel that it's a shame all enemies in this game tend to focus on players half a mile from them if they can see them, even if there are many players in its path towards this player. And even while they are attacking him. It just seems very unrealistic that he'd completely ignore everything else.

Most actually change targets to whomever's closest. Clots will generally ignore someone who runs by you to grab you. Gorefasts will both swap targets in melee and try to flank around you, as will Scrakes, etc.

FP does what he does because he's a a mad berserker. Rush in, kill his target, change target, rinse and repeat.

Anyways, to the topic at hand, I wish KF had TF2 style collision. Players do not collide each other (aside from pushing each other out of each other's bodies) but do collide with enemies. No blocking the trader that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nah, teamwork. Think of Killing Floor as a First Person Raid.

Upvote 0
Most actually change targets to whomever's closest. Clots will generally ignore someone who runs by you to grab you. Gorefasts will both swap targets in melee and try to flank around you, as will Scrakes, etc.

FP does what he does because he's a a mad berserker. Rush in, kill his target, change target, rinse and repeat.

Anyways, to the topic at hand, I wish KF had TF2 style collision. Players do not collide each other (aside from pushing each other out of each other's bodies) but do collide with enemies. No blocking the trader that way.

Agree on all

also TF2 has a good system against blocking indeed

Upvote 0
I don't agree much with the idea of the TF2 player collision style. Maybe bacause I'm a DoD:S player and this was implemented on the game (before, we had the normal collision style).
At least on DoD:S it's horrible, because there's always people bumping on you and messing up with your aim. Also, when there's a lot of people trying to run to the same door, many are bumped to the side and hit the wall.
Of course these are two separate games, but I believe that the same would happen with KF, but in a lower level, because usually there's less people on servers. For me, it should stay as it is to the game, but on trader, turn off colision, like Monolithos said.

Upvote 0
IMO (friendly) player blocking in all online FPS games only does two things:

- Makes griefing by blocking teammates possible

- Makes map exploits involving jumping on other players heads possible (or even the CS style "stacking" of more than two players)

So there is a case for removing it entirely (bearing in mind any new issues the removal may cause, e.g. 6 players all occupying the same spot and "tanking").

Regarding the KF trader blocking situation there are a number of mods floating around that fix this issue in various ways and the top servers out there are already running them.

For instance our server has now totally eliminated this annoyance.

In fact we suffer very little griefing at all because we have a strong admin presence which is the real solution to the underlying griefer problem (these miserable individuals will always find new ways to ruin games). But nor are we ban happy (<20 bans which is <0.5% of the players we've seen).

If you play on a server regularly plagued by griefers, trader blocking or otherwise, it is just a symptom of a generally poor admin situation and I suggest you find a new venue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Man, Thanks for bringing this up, I've been driven mental by complete ******s on a few random servers who constantly block the doors of the trader on purpose. There seems to be no way around it and its really beginning to ruin my enjoyment of the game.

Sonsa*****es only pick servers with NO admins or friendly fire so I wish they could just be knocked out of the way.

Upvote 0
This has started to relly annoy me of late, Guys blocking trader doors with impunity as there are no admins or ways to knock them out of the way and no kick voting. TBH at this stage its ruining the game for me as I only get short bursts of gameplay time and like to Jump in and have some killing fun on the lowest ping server that has a map I like.

Upvote 0
Played a game yesterday with a couple of people who utilized blocking FP's.

Once it got enraged, everyone ran up to it, and created wall obstacle for it to run around. It was hurt pretty badly before it reached me so I was able to kill it with a couple of last shots.

Then we did it again next round but this time, it died before reaching the player it was chasing.

Running in front of the FP to temporarily block it was pretty useful when players used it together (yes on hard).

Upvote 0