• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Hearts of Iron III

As nice as some of the new features are, having techs that dates back to Boer war time technology while being thrown into the lion's den with a whip to tame someone with one of the worst UIs I've ever seen is not really that promising.

I am quite positive it would be far beter or interesting if you could play some limited scenario or play the full version from '36 grand scenario, but the demo is just rather random mix of stuff thrown together.

Upvote 0
*retrieves shovel from garage*

FFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

I played HoI 2 briefly. It was really hard to learn and the tutorial didn't work for me (my German soldiers got killed by the Poles even if I did what the tutorial told me to do :<). Basically all I've done so far in 3 is the tutorials (pretty cute, but...the engrish. omg) and started a game but...man. I don't even know how to begin learning to play. I guess I'm going to have to just start a few games and fail miserably. But I get the same feeling from this game that I did when I tried the ArmA 2 demo and looked at the controls. lol.

Upvote 0
Arsenal of Democracy >>>>> Hoi3
HoI3 has a lot of cool features like managing theatres, automating units and setting objectives for them, but the lack of events and stupid AI really screwed it up (USA ALWAYS joins the Allies by 39 or 40 for no reason at all). AoD has >9000x more events than HoI3, and events are some of the most important things in the game. The only thing that pisses me off in AoD is that Japan ALWAYS beats China in less than a year and Thailand never joins the Axis.

Upvote 0
Well, I remember people in HoI3 forums complaining about how much better 2 is when 3 was released, although I think there has been some effort about improving it afterwards. Personally I played it for quite a few hours and I admit I enjoyed it although its not the kind of game you play for about an hour to just relax, sometimes you will do a lot of stuff like organizing your units while paused.

One of the features I liked the most though is that you can organize your units good enough and then, as said above, set some objectives to the AI and check how it goes instead of managing each unit alone. It frees up time to get into the politics and economy which although simple when you understand how it works is still quite fascinating.

Upvote 0
I have to say that I have considered this game completely unplayable without the Semper Fi expansion pack for some time now. Makes it less of an expansion pack, when it's considered pretty much mandatory, eh?

Still, the OOB manager added in SF was like a godsend. Among a few other things. (although right now I took the bait again and went and bought Victoria II... after some 20+ hours of gameplay I am rather positive and enchanted, although it has its issues - like every PI game, d'oh).

Upvote 0
Yesterday in HoI3
HoI3fu.jpg

Upvote 0
For the Motherland expansion is on sale on Gamersgate, about a day of the sale left. Would have never paid nigh on $20 for this, but now that it was discounted and patched, I think it was worth the risk.

Looking forward to finally really playing HoI3, quite some time after its release.
I just hope TWI doesn't become the new PI (who also used to be put forward as an example of how the relationship with fans ought to be maintained).

Upvote 0
I have HOI 3 and tried to like it, but I cannot. The thing I hate the most is the random times wars can start, the fact that the US can enter the war in 1940, I can execute the Anschluss in 1936 if done right, etc, etc.

I do like the whole combat system and the true divisional, Corps, Army structure that one can setup. So there is good and bad, in the end I prefer the HOI 2 engine, right now I am having fun with Iron Cross for HOI 2 AoD.

Btw what did that Motherland expansion do? What all does it add?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HOI3 tends to devolve into insanity much faster than previous games, but to be honest, the old games quickly deviated from history after a couple of years as well.

I don't mind. I'm not interested in seeing WWII play out exactly like recorded history with the addition of my own contributions. Chaos theory and all.

What Hearts of Iron is, is a playground for the megalomanic tyrant. Completely rewriting history is what gives me a kick from playing this game. Destroying whole armies, wiping civilisations off the map and replacing them with my own. Setting the stage for a completely different super power distribution in the world and creating a wholly uncertain future without the cold war conflicts and terrorism followed with them.

Upvote 0
Btw what did that Motherland expansion do? What all does it add?

Feature list as lifted off its Gamersgate entry:

War Goals and enforced peace, each member of the faction can demand their own slice and claim it when it is taken [akin to the Victoria 2 system]
New Partisan system, build Partisan undergrounds to organize your resistance movements and battle not just the occupier but also other ideologies for control of the country
Seize strategic resources to fuel your war machine
New Theatre Interface giving greater strategic information
Improved Internal politics and a new coup system
The return of the battle scenario system to offer new mini campaigns

Plus multi-core support (not had the chance to test out much, but looked like it did improve performance).

Upvote 0