• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Make medic not useless

Private_Joker

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
The Medic has sufficiently strong powers that serve almost no practical purpose.

I suggest making self-heals an item the must be bought at the Trader, and limiting them to 2 carry max.
AND
decreasing non-medic teammate heals by maybe 30% .

Right now, any semi-responsible team has no use for a medic. The trend in Killing Floor that I've noticed is that most often when you're low enough on health to need the healing power of a medic, then you're going to die anyway because it means you're surrounded. The only other situation is that you've taken a few hits, and then your non-medic teammates will heal you just as well. Playing on Hard difficulty doesn't change this trend.

SO, when a medic joins a team, it's actually a disadvantage, since they're lacking in firepower necessary to deal with the zeds spawned on account of their presence.

The medic gun is buggy an hard to use, but a practiced medic can make it work. Too bad there's no use for it. So many times when I'm playing medic, I run around for minutes at a time looking for someone to heal, and when I finally find someone with half health, they're already healing themselves, and I am useless.

My alternative suggestion is to allow medics' welder to repair teammates' armor.

Assent?

-Joker

Last edited:
Medic is fine, he heals great and makes the team last longer. The only useless perk is commando and he's getting an AK soon.

hahaha what a stupid post

commando is one of the most rewarding aand best perks out there......but you need skill which is nearly un-needed as support

@OP: medic is great and TBH nobody every heals anyone, when I dont play medic my syringe is always empty since I have to kill both myself and other 5 members

Upvote 0
You can shoot an Fleshpounds head off pretty quickly if you are quick enough and if your team doesn't enrage him too early.

It requires:
-A well co-ordinate team, which mainly ppl just jump-in and opt-out doesn't have.
-good hand, or a good skill, which isn't very common.

But u're right, commando is a very cool class to play. Maybe that's why they give it the stalker requirement. Mine was lv 4, and I'm waiting for the ak to finish it.

Upvote 0
It isnt usefull its a tank type perk

Beserker lowers HP damage Medic lowers armor damage.

Also free armor, and cheap refill (you shouldnt damage it that FAST.) and faster reloads of heal make it way better, with 20% more speed you could flee from a fleshpound and let it change targets. :)

ITs not useless you just need to use it correctly >.>, Also you took my name >.> (Not the private part.)

Upvote 0
hahaha what a stupid post

commando is one of the most rewarding aand best perks out there......but you need skill which is nearly un-needed as support

@OP: medic is great and TBH nobody every heals anyone, when I dont play medic my syringe is always empty since I have to kill both myself and other 5 members
Mr. Intelligence himself, yes obvious game imbalance you can always throw "skill" at or you can acknowledge a fire bug does everything a commando suppose to kill better. That is why commando is useless.

Upvote 0
Maybe it's because most medics don't heal, but most people will just heal themselves before I can get to them, then when I poke them with the syringe, it does nothing, because their own tiny heal is currently taking effect.

Medics can heal very well, but it rarely gets used since people just use the self-heal before looking around to see if medics are close.

I think making bigger heals override weaker heals would be a good first step. I wouldnt' be opposed to syringes and welders having to be bought unless you're the appropriate class. Or maybe increase the recharge time on self-heals for non-medics.

It's sad that I spend most of my time as medic trying to heal people that have just self-healed and thus I end up doing nothing.

I think non-medics shouldn't self-heal unless no medic is nearby or the medic doesn't have time to get to them. Non-medic heals should be saved for medics, while medics heal everyone else. Medic heals are incredibly effective if people don't self-heal first and don't run away. A decent-level medic can bring his whole team up to full health in a matter of seconds, but it's much slower if people self-heal.

However, on pub servers, it usually doesn't work that way.

Upvote 0
Mr. Intelligence himself, yes obvious game imbalance you can always throw "skill" at or you can acknowledge a fire bug does everything a commando suppose to kill better. That is why commando is useless.

So a firebug can see enemy health better, see invisible enemies better, decapitate fleshpounds better and take out things close to himself or team mates (with friendly fire on) better?

Wow!

If you think commando is useless, you're just a crappy commando.

Upvote 0
It is annoying to have everyone self-heal all the time. But then again, a medic should advertise their willigness to stick around and heal people.

If you are a medic, just tell everyone you are willing to heal everyone who presses V-1-1 to call medic or is low on health and comes close to you, provided they stand still for 2 seconds so that you can poke them with the syringe.

It seems many don't pay any attention to medics on public servers. I guess everyone is so used to them just running off and going kiting and letting the rest die... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The Medic has sufficiently strong powers that serve almost no practical purpose.

Right now, any semi-responsible team has no use for a medic.

Medic used to have even better powers back when the speed was good :\
I found that medic could be played offensively better then as a healer back then, and not just to kite FP.

Speed gave you a great advantage, which I think made up for the lack of a weapon damage increase or getting a weapon at lvl 5. Now however you cant just run around and stab everything, but it was prob for the best.

Anyways, what I think works great now is in a team when everyone is focused on the clots and gorefasts coming at you, I tend to shoot the little crawlers and invisible *****es who come up from behind because the main players are too busy to kill them. It really does help in the long run. Also people do need healing and thats what the medic is for. Even a "semi-responsible team" needs health once in a while.

I do agree with you though. A medic can make or break a team, depending on their skill level I guess :D

Upvote 0
Sorry, but reality check time: Medic is NOT a good class. All they do is move faster and tank damage until their armor runs out. The average medic doesn't heal anyone and just "Rambos" it. And the fact of it is this: The medic has no damage bonuses. Period. So he's taking, if comparing to another perk with their choice weapon even at Level 0, at minimum 10% more ammo to drop specimens. MINIMUM.

Weighed against a solid Level 4 perk, the medic will be using 40% more ammo to kill enemies, also doing 40% less damage in the same period of time, as an actual Combat perk! On Normal, this isn't huge. But on Hard/Suicidal, where every bullet and every bit of damage counts, this is massive. Most medics on Hard/Suicidal just try to kite, tank, and rambo and it doesn't work. Kiting doesn't work like it used to, period. Ramboing is more effective with other classes. And as for tanking, once their armor is gone, they're just as squishy as everyone else...

In almost any hard game I'd rather have a Commando, Support, or even Berserker than a medic. At least they'll be throwing some DPS out there instead of ignoring calls for help, tanking until their armor is gone, then dying. Yes, I realize there are GOOD medics, who heal, support the team, and pick off smaller enemies with their weaker firepower, but they're the exception, not the rule, unfortunately...

Upvote 0
Medic is a good class as it is.

But it is true that Medic Syringe and Welder should be bought from the shop. However, once bought they could be used without a limit.

I agree with this. It makes really no sense why every class has access to them. I mean it would be awesome if only medics could heal and support weld, for the first few waves of course... Until everyone else would be able to purchase their own syringes/welders, and even then it wouldn't be as efficent.(But it could be a cheap cost like 30eu)

Upvote 0
It'd be awesome if they could make it so that the medic had a better way to stream heals, and possibly make it so they didn't have to be point blank with the target they are healing. While I have noticed slight improvements in the drive by heal effectiveness it still has a fail rate.

It'd be nice to see the med syringe be more like the welder, definitely would be interesting to see some medics come in play.

Upvote 0
The problem with medics who reach level 5 is that they don't become medics anymore. In my experience anyways. They all of the sudden turn into another Zerker because of the armor boost.

Medics still on lower levels, IMO, tend to do their jobs better.

I'm a level 4 medic and almost level 5 and I can guarantee you that when I play medic, I consider healing to be my first job. I consider my second job to pick off weaker zeds like clots, crawlers, stalkers, etc. I play defensively and usually only attack things that are a threat to the team.

I try to keep my entire team at full health. It helps if the team is in some sort of coherent formation where the medic has access to quickly heal them.

I've tried telling people not to self-heal if I'm around. I've nicely explained why it's far more efficient for them to let me heal them and for them to heal me if I need it. Then they still self-heal anyway and watch me run up, stab them ineffectually with a needle and stare at them and then they just run off, get hit, and do it all over again a few minutes later.

I don't get it--self-heals count toward no perk, they take twice as long to recover from, and they're very weak compared to medic heals, yet people seem to prefer them for some reason, even if a medic is running at them full speed with the syringe out.

I guess this is because in pubs, most medics don't heal and people just aren't used to letting medics heal them.

Most people seem to think that healing is something done at the trader between waves only.

Upvote 0