• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flash Light

Snakefist

Jul 16, 2009
Hi, I think the flashlight looks a bit unrealistic (the part at the gun) it just looks like a big white cirkle :S is iut possible to make it looks a bit more realistic?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/stalker%20flash%20light/d12malu/FlashLightAfterIndoors.jpg maybe a bit more like that (so you don't have the white cirkle at the beginning of the weapon) or if it's possible just remove that.

That would be awesome... in my eye's:D

EDIT: Or is it possible to edit it by my self?
If that's possible, can someone tell me what file i must edit cause i haven't been albe to find the correct one yet :(

Last edited:
Flash light

Flash light

K but it's also possible to use another flash light.

The doom 3 one maybe (with a few adjustments)
(or the one of doom thats in a realistic pack (, some people have made a doom3 realistic patch/pack that the flashlight looks more realistic etc etc. maybe we can search for that one and use it?)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure the engine supports that kind of dynamic lighting that's used on the Source engine (L4D) and the X-ray engine (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.). I'm sure they tried to do the best they could on the engine but since it's an older engine with its limitations they were probably unable to achieve the lighting you see in the engines mentioned above.

Upvote 0
I assume that the current flash light in KF is nearly as good as it can get. UT2k4 neither supports stencil shaders nor realtime lighting, so it would be enough hassle to recode the entire light engine. I'm fine with the flash light design though.
What could be done is to use some scripting which draws a black screen with an alpha transparent hole which is displayed in certain (complete dark) zones when the flashlight is being activated. This would generate an effect similar to the one shown on the Stalker screenshot and narrow the player's field of view, however, the shadowcast of the surrounding objects would be still missing.

Upvote 0
i found it interesting the this game actually features a form of projected shadows(like l4d). i first noticed this when i was shooting at something from behind a fence and a shadow flew past my right. i thought it was a stalker or something, but it was actually shadow cast from flashlight on a player model. i had no idea unreal 2 supported this.

Upvote 0
KF flashlight is the worst flashlight i've ever seen in videogames.
There is no point in using it, because most of the time all you see is a blank white circle (instead of highlighted circle area). Need I say about ugly and almost not transparent corona blocking the view?
Even Deus Ex (unreal egine 1) has more usefull flashlight. What the f**k, Tripwire?

Last edited:
Upvote 0