• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI should drop the Britain setting for a sequel.

Despite the high praise Trails of the Wood gets consistently, it's one of my least favourite maps. The ambient is set wretchedly low and every trader run requires going through pitch black with obstacles scattered through the path ahead of you, not to mention the auto-guide doesn't know you can't do a woods run. If only it had its ambient set up to even a comfortable dusk, it'd be far and away a better map to play on. The set piece cabin areas with lighting are great fun and look very nice.

I like this. Otherwise no one would ever defend the cabins and would just kite around on the trails in the middle and that would make for a boring game.

As I was playing it the first time, I liked how much more fun it is setting up a static defense at the buildings instead of just kiting in big open areas, and that wouldn't happen if the whole map was lit well enough to fight effectively.

Look at Manor, for instance...no one ever defends the house, because the outdoor area is big and open and well-lit.

Upvote 0
I like this. Otherwise no one would ever defend the cabins and would just kite around on the trails in the middle and that would make for a boring game.

As I was playing it the first time, I liked how much more fun it is setting up a static defense at the buildings instead of just kiting in big open areas, and that wouldn't happen if the whole map was lit well enough to fight effectively.

Look at Manor, for instance...no one ever defends the house, because the outdoor area is big and open and well-lit.

There's a reason that the dead of night is the absolutely worst time to be fighting a battle against anything if you don't have night amplification technology and any reasoning, thinking being avoids doing so unless at wit's end and suicidal: because tripping over your own feet in the dark and not being able to see either your allies or enemies beyond arm's reach is a stupid way to die screaming for your mother. No sane person would step foot outside in a zombie apocalypse anywhere near a population area without a tank, klieg lights, and saturation bombing rendering the lack of lighting very, very moot.

*pant pant pant* Can you tell I've been neck-deep in writing for zombie settings lately?

More directly, maps with the ambient cut that far down over the whole map just are less fun simply because you can't see far enough ahead of your feet alone 4/5ths of the path ahead of you to walk to the next position. The paths are too narrow to kite along, anyway, though the folks Hell-bent on that technique really don't seem to care and play it so often that they can walk the path backwards with two fingers tied behind their back and think of you as a poncy dullard if you aren't a Level 5 Wonk like they are.

Note that I'm not suggesting it needs to be lit well enough to make fighting in the paths along and around the middle feasible (though even if you were in that space at bloody noon it'd be a lousy place to try and hold given the 360o spawns you'd be facing), it just needs to have enough ambient or directional lighting along the paths to make moving through the area not an exercise in tripping over the benches and such an every-three-seconds occurrence.

It's a common thing in a lot of the non-TWI maps that just gets up my mantle, and I'm kind of irritated every time I see what would be a nice map if I could actually see where I'm putting my feet to enjoy it. The worst offender in the default map pack is Farm, but as I said it's designed not to have obstructions or the like which aren't contrasted with shadows. Second worst is the staircases in Offices which really should have a really dim red emergency light at ankle height on the landings.

Not to hijack the thread; if we go much longer we should spin off a new one.

Upvote 0
Darkness is not a sign of poor design as you seem to imply. There seems to be this mindset that no areas should be too dark to see well, which has merit in deathmatch or team-based games, but in horror games, darkness should be a very real obstacle to survival. Horror games are supposed to be stressful and tense, not relaxing, and being in a dark area where you can't really see well tends to be stressful. Some areas are just intended to be dark. Every player is equipped with a tactical light on his 9mm, so no dark area is insurmountable, although fighting in the dark is generally not advisable.

I think darkness is a very good way of discouraging fighting in a certain area, while making it perfectly possible to get through it to get to a trader using one's handgun-mounted tac-light. Even fighting in pitch blackness is possible if you have good teamwork--you'll just have to have people covering certain areas with lights, even if it means using less-powerful weapons. We have successfully defended the pitch-black (and very cramped) stairwell on Offices before, for instance.

Players shouldn't always have the luxury of fighting at a well-lit place of their choosing, especially in a game that calls itself "survival horror". Even though it really isn't survival horror, it's still action-horror, and dark places goes together with horror quite nicely. Besides that, darkness and light should also be tactical considerations. I like the idea of balancing areas with plenty of room to move and fight by making them dark, but making more enclosed areas better-lit. Otherwise, half the map will almost never see any use (all the indoor areas in Manor, WestLondon, and Farm, for instance).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Being a Georgia boy myself (transplanted into Colorado now, but still love going back home to Dublin when it's not god awful hot/humid), I can imagine some pretty awesome locales in the state for KF levels.

And I knew more than a few "good ole' boys" more than happy to sell you a rifle for the right price :).

Upvote 0
I remember that glorious day. whiskey in my canteen, bow on my back, landmower in hand with the sent of blood in the air. If it wasnt for the landmowers we wouldn't of victoried.. It was because of the landmower that we doesnt afraid of anything! except other landmowers! landmower, landmower, landmower,landmower, landmower, landmower, landmower, landmower, LANDMOWER LANDMOWER LLLAANNNDDDMMOOWWEEERRRRR!

landmower...

Upvote 0