• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Alex! how do you feel about the retail KF?

Ipeut

May 5, 2009
just wanted to know how the original KF creater feels as in the success of killing floor. like, are you suprised that its done as well as it has? or think that it should've done even better? im a fan of both the mod and the retail, altho i must say the mod was WAY more scary simply because you couldnt really take out 5 scakres in a row without knowing what you where doing. you were slower and the aiming was harder. thats not to say i dont love the retail. the retail is WAY more fun. altho i admit the first time i played retail i was pretty scared.

the mod was WAY more scary simply because you couldnt really take out 5 scakres in a row without knowing what you where doing. you were slower and the aiming was harder.

I've never played the mod, but it sounds better than the retail version in a lot of ways, like what you said there.

From what I've seen, I do like the new models and skins better (except for the censored bits), but some of the gameplay elements sound more "hardcore", for lack of a better term, than the retail version.

How different are they, really?

Maybe I should check out the mod, since I bought UT2004 years ago, so I could play RO back when it was a mod. Yes, I bought a retail game just so I could play a mod. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe Alex approached Tripwire to inquire about getting the free mod on steam for moar publcities.

yup. and TWI was like, alright sure, then TWI tried it out, and were like "hold the phone! this game is so good, it should be retail! let us help you!" then alex kadish, or alex quick, whichever he is at that time, was like, "nom nom nom"

Upvote 0
I've never played the mod, but it sounds better than the retail version in a lot of ways, like what you said there.
i like the retail better as far as an enjoyable, competitive game. (what i mean is balence, precistion, polish, and graphix) but the mod was more "hardcore" simply because you felt like a tiny helpless soldier the the specimens were so intimidatingly powerfull. that coupled with how slow you moved, how little your weapons did, and how hard it was to aim made the game more scary simply because you were uncertain that you could beat the horde. i like retail better b/c its better long-term entertainment. sure a co-op scarefest would be fun, but not for as long as what retail killing floor is.

Upvote 0
you felt like a tiny helpless soldier the the specimens were so intimidatingly powerfull. that coupled with how slow you moved, how little your weapons did, and how hard it was to aim

This sounds better to me.

I don't really see this game as a "relax, lean back, have a beer and blow away zombies" sort of game. I want it to be hard, stressful, tense, and if possible, scary. I mean, Tripwire calls it "co-op survival horror". It's not really, but I'd like for it to lean more in that direction than action-horror.

Upvote 0

I don't really see this game as a "relax, lean back, have a beer and blow away zombies" sort of game. I want it to be hard, stressful, tense, and if possible, scary. I mean, Tripwire calls it "co-op survival horror". It's not really, but I'd like for it to lean more in that direction than action-horror.

stop playing begginer and normal

go hard and if you find it easy, than be my guest and become suicidal

:D

Upvote 0

well, in a sence, the mod was better as far as what it was focused to be. but the retail is better simply because its been more developed and polished. i like both. like i said, tho, the mod is more of a scare thrill, but the retail is more fun period.

Upvote 0

It'd really need Story mode to be a survival horror game rather than action horror. "Zombies come in waves, kill wave" isn't really very survival horror. "We have to do X Y and Z/escape the city before the military drops a bomb/etc." is more survival horror and the potential absence of a trader could help with this since you'd have to scrounge for guns and ammo.

KF-TheHive is an amazing example of this. The sewers had to be the scariest time I've had in KF ever.

Upvote 0
Well the way I see it, Alex had two options -- 1) let the mod die because there was no one but him working on 2.5 and even if it were released, it would be buggy as all get out and only a tiny community would enjoy it. OR 2) he could give it to Tripwire to not only save the game but secure a really solid retail game.

Hmmmmmm tough choice!

That said, I played the mod and enjoyed it a ton, but it really can't compare to the retail version at all. Retail is much much more polished, much less buggy, full of better features, looks great, and (obviously) has tons of people to play with at all times. My biggest disappointment with KF was I could never find servers with people on them towards the end of the game's life.

Upvote 0
It'd really need Story mode to be a survival horror game rather than action horror. "Zombies come in waves, kill wave" isn't really very survival horror. "We have to do X Y and Z/escape the city before the military drops a bomb/etc." is more survival horror and the potential absence of a trader could help with this since you'd have to scrounge for guns and ammo.

KF-TheHive is an amazing example of this. The sewers had to be the scariest time I've had in KF ever.

Well, as I said, it's not really survival horror, even though the subtitle or whatever is "Co-op survival horror". If you are rewarded for killing stuff or required to kill stuff (besides bosses, perhaps), it's not real survival horror. This is the main reason Resident Evil is no longer survival horror--you get loot for killing things. In real survival horror, the only benefit to killing something as opposed to running away is that it's not longer actively trying to kill you.

So yeah, this game will never be survival horror unless there is a mode where you just need to hold out and survive or escape or something instead of being on a mission to wipe out all specimens and getting paid for it.

I would also argue that potentially infinite healing capacity is very un-survival horror. As long as players have a short breather, they can heal up to full capacity pretty quickly and do so as often as needed. Only an incompetent player will start the next round with less than full health.

Another thing is that running out of ammo loses much of its sting when melee weapons are so effective. For those that have tried using the knife in early Resident Evils, you'll know what I mean. The fear of running out of ammo (if you even have firearms) should always be there in a real survival horror, but having very effective melee weapons take away from that.

I hate to say it, but L4D is actually more survival horror in a lot of ways (except for the overabundance of ammo and infinite handgun ammo) than KF. KF is more edgy, gory, gritty, tactical, and just more fun, however.

Upvote 0
just wanted to know how the original KF creator feels as in the success of killing floor. like, are you suprised that its done as well as it has? or think that it should've done even better? im a fan of both the mod and the retail, altho i must say the mod was WAY more scary simply because you couldnt really take out 5 scakres in a row without knowing what you where doing. you were slower and the aiming was harder. thats not to say i dont love the retail. the retail is WAY more fun. although i admit the first time i played retail i was pretty scared.

Well, first of all, it's not like Tripwire just went and put the mod in a miracle machine and KF Steam came out the other end, i was working my buns off for a good while, turning the mod into the game with them. :)

Am i surprised by how many people are playing and enjoying it? A little. It's pretty cool to see something that started off as a way to entertain yourself turn into a larger game that alot of people are digging.

But as far as 2k4 mods went, KF enjoyed a pretty decent little following, so I would have been shocked if, when given a face-lift, and polish, and distributed across an awesome and widely used platform like Steam *fewer* people got into it.

Dont get me wrong though, the number of people who are playing is pretty awesome! I hope it keeps up! :D

If you haven't done so, i would recommend trying KF 1.0 , the old old school of KF . Some people think it was the most enjoyable iteration of the mod, and it comes with a single player campaign!

here's a link , if you have 2k4 and want to play a HARD game :p

http://www.filefront.com/4086337/UT2004-Killing-Floor-Mod-Windows/

Also, here is the older 1.0 demo, which is Offline survival mode only and very scary (trust me, it is!)

http://www.filefront.com/3868742/kfdemo.zip

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, first of all, it's not like Tripwire just went and put the mod in a miracle machine and KF Steam came out the other end, i was working my buns off for a good while, turning the mod into the game with them. :)

Am i surprised by how many people are playing and enjoying it? A little. It's pretty cool to see something that started off as a way to entertain yourself turn into a larger game that alot of people are digging.

But as far as 2k4 mods went, KF enjoyed a pretty decent little following, so I would have been shocked if, when given a face-lift, and polish, and distributed across an awesome and widely used platform like Steam *fewer* people got into it.

Dont get me wrong though, the number of people who are playing is pretty awesome! I hope it keeps up! :D

If you haven't done so, i would recommend trying KF 1.0 , the old old school of KF . Some people think it was the most enjoyable iteration of the mod, and it comes with a single player campaign!

here's a link , if you have 2k4 and want to play a HARD game :p

[url]http://www.filefront.com/4086337/UT2004-Killing-Floor-Mod-Windows/[/URL]

Also, here is the older 1.0 demo, which is Offline survival mode only and very scary (trust me, it is!)

[url]http://www.filefront.com/3868742/kfdemo.zip[/URL]
ill try both, thanks! i read places that you were working with TWI, not handing it off, so i didnt mean that you didnt work on it :p. it could not have retained as much of its style as it did if the original creators werent working on it too. im downloading the kf mods now, cant wait to try em :D

Upvote 0
kf 1.0 was so gritty you had to shake the dirt out your keyboard every 15 minutes ;) awesome

someone [nod nod wink wink] should convert the 1.0 maps over for grins.

Upvote 0