• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Newb questions

skyhook

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 23, 2009
I started a killing floor dedicated server last night on my windows machine, and everything is running pretty good but I do have some pretty basic questions.

I've added 2 custom maps so far and am hosting them on my website, so I setup the httpredirect part in the config file to point to my website.com/maps/. Do I only have to put those maps the .rom files in my maps folder on my computer running the server and obviously on my website or do i also have to do somethign else. And when the map vote comes up at the end of a game, some maps will say they are disabled and cannot be chosen, how can i change that?

also, how much bandwidth should I expect to be using per month, or even what would my upstream be using while 6 people are playing at once.

Thank you I hope you can find some answers to these questions.

Well, about the redirect: you can either compress the files (advised) or leave them like that, but then you should change the default "UseCompression=True" to false.
Still, i'd advise compressing them (to uz2 - havent tried the mentioned program myself tho) as they take up waaaaaaaaaaay less space => faster download. :)

About the map voting: go to the webadmin interface (you know how to do that right?) change the "defaults" there look for "map voting" and change the 'repeat limit' to 0.

The bandwidth im not sure about, will check, but doesn't take up much, i'm pretty sure of that :)

Upvote 0
Thank you Arky.

I have another question now, I updated my killing floor server a few days ago, and since it's been updated, when I go to join the server (and anyone else I think) my server makes you download this file KF_Soldier_Trip, and once thats downloaded there's another file that it makes you download, and since this is hosted on my home computer it's terribly slow to download. Is there a way I can have it redirect to download off of my website? Or is there another way I can get this to stop. I havent noticed any other servers trying to make me download this file. And it's for anyway map thats in the rotation it tries to make people download these files.

Upvote 0
Can someone please help me with this? I really want to fix my server so people can play on it. No one wants to wait 20 minutes to download these little files i don't know how to fix it..
Update it again :)
There were 2 updates in a very short period, due to the DLC that came out.. i had the same issue, was confused.. then did the update again, works fine :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure if this was solved, but I'm having the same problem. Not sure what version I'm running.

Again, kind of new to this, I've created the server, opened all the ports etc and can connect to it. Have my external IP. Wondering what ports, say a friend, is supposed to use.

So say, my external IP is x.x.x.x, someone connecting to my server would put in x.x.x.x:??

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0