• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI and UnrealEd

knightmare106

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2009
We know that TWI is doing awesome with the upkeep of the game,especially the whitelisting which turned out better than expected :D

but does TWI have any plans for following up on the UnrealEd tool? there are some variables that we spend alot of time on just to find out the variable doesnt work (disallowed waves most frustrating for me)

There are alot of things in unrealed we just cant do, but feels like we should be able to since the options are there just to tease us atm. i have no experience in unreal scripting yet, but atm it is necessary to make new scripts for the simplest things we want to change (in my dumb theory) doesnt that mean we need to make a mutator for this?

SHORT VERSION:
hey TWI are there any plans for updating the UnrealEd at all?

I suspect you just might not know how to do some things, to do some actual havy duty modding, you don't actually use the editor, you use decompiled .uc files taken from the editor, this is how Unreal Engine modding has allways worked really since 1998 and onwards.

The Engine itself is perfectly capable of doing all kinds of crazy things, you just need to know how it's done, and accept that the editor was mostly made for mapping, its not so much a coders tool, for that there is the UCC compiler, i'd recommend looking around on Unreal Wiki, it explains a lot of things if you want to get into Unreal Script and making Mutators.

Upvote 0
no i havent tried to script for the engine, i wasnt saying i wanted to. i was reffering to the things in unrealEd that just dont function. but were made for killing floor, ive been around unreal wiki, you will not find help for killing floor specific values.

to be clear i am not looking to script anything right now. i am questioning if TWI might have any intention to address things that are in UnrealEd for the mappers. :(

Upvote 0
in my experience as much time i have spent messing with these paramaters, they dont seem to do anything:

+KFZombieVolume
-DisabledWaveNums : this isnt disabling zones in the waves i designate
-OnlyallowedZeds : this causes the wave to stop spawning zeds very often, it feels more effective to use the dissalowedzeds param but it feels redundant to add all zeds but crawlers when i want a crawler spawn, cant i use the onlyallowedzeds param set to crawlers without it feeling bugged :(
-zombiecountmulti : gets buggy if i use a value over 2, if i dont have a spawn with this set to one i notice alot it stops spawning midwave

+KFTeamProgressVolume
-???? its there but i tinker around with params like respawndeadplayers but it doesnt seem to do that the whole volume is a mystery to me

I only wonder if any light will be shed on these things among others, maybe this is what is left over or was supposed to be for the mod version

Upvote 0
OnlyallowedZeds

This one works fine. It's how you get only crawlers and stalkers to spawn in ceilings and drop down.

The other ones may be deprecated functions that were planned at one time, but removed and are still hiding in the editor/engine somewhere.

I mean, there's still stuff in the editor from Unreal and Red Orchestra that's obviously not used.

My point is that not all properties and actors in the editor necessarily work in the game and I doubt that they'd be added in now.

Upvote 0