• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank wreckages

PETERPANs

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
During world war II, lot of new fighting methods come. Especially tank wreckages. If tank not burn they can be used in combat like mini bunkers - traps. In general lot of tanks have revolving turret and if tank is imobilized or crew inside was killed by AP shot, they are still usable.

It was realy deadly trap. Looks like destroyed tank along roads, but still with deadly turret. Just waiting for suitable target. In streets of stalingrad there should be usable wreckages or unusable crap. Enemy should be surprised.

there should be some danger involved too... like if u jump in a tank that has been booby-trapped... u blow up... also some other things... like maybe the tank blows up b/c there is gasoline spilled everywhere or something... making it sorta of a risk for the player who decides to be tricky

If these are suppose to be prepared positions used in an ambush, then I don't think it would be realistic. You wouldn't booby-trap your own tank you plan to use in defense.

And gasoline spilled smells like gasoline, you wouldn't fire anything in there unless you had no sense of smell.

Upvote 0
Most of the tanks weren't usable just after got hit where crew died. Some of a captured tanks were used by enemy army in two cases:

- fully operational on battlefield after repairs ( captured T34s)
- used as stationary guns ( captured Jagdpanzer 38(t) "Hetzer" by polish insurgents during Warsaws Uprising and used as part of barricade )

Generally i very like that idea. It remids me digged Panther on awesome map "Kriegstadt" by EH.

Upvote 0
personally i wouldnt go into tank to shoot from it
because it has been knocked out for a reason eh?

putting foward observers or scouts in knocked out tanks in the no mans land did happen often, but i dont think anyone would go into a knocked out tank to shoot from/with it

remember, what seems reasonable for you as a gamer, doesnt have to seem reasonable to a soldier

especially as you have to remember if you are infantry: you do NOT know how to operate a tank, even if its disabled

Upvote 0
read that again
remember, what seems reasonable for you as a gamer, doesnt have to seem reasonable to a soldier

and yes, knowing nothing about optics IS a problem
as a ordinary soldier you do NOT know how to use a fieldgun

if you would put me in a T34 now i wouldnt know jack how to operate it, and probably would need a day to find out most stuff

Last edited:
Upvote 0
read that again

and yes, knowing nothing about optics IS a problem
as a ordinary soldier you do NOT know how to use a fieldgun

if you would put me in a T34 now i wouldnt know jack how to operate it, and probably would need a day to find out most stuff

In frontline you have lot of time ... its not problem for experienced ambush team. I think that wreck should be also Pzvf IV, III, BT, T-34, KV ...
Maaan, remember that 1939-1945 era is not era of hard electronic devices ... that mean no computers in tanks and etc ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Due to historic facts of using tank wrecks in combat I posted suggestion to make it in next game too. Dont try to find logic in this, read books and try to understand why soldier of all WW II armies used tank (if tank is not crushed to pieces ) wrecks as MG, gun, supply ... positions

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In frontline you have lot of time ... its not problem for experienced ambush team. I think that wreck should be also Pzvf IV, III, BT, T-34, KV ...
Maaan, remember that 1939-1945 era is not era of hard electronic devices ... that mean no computers in tanks and etc ...

15 minutes is not a lot of time nor are every group of soldiers that you are going to be playing as going to be an experienced ambush team.

Upvote 0
I figured tankers could used imobilized tanks. That takes care of the training. These would have to be prepared positions though.

You can simply get into a recently knocked out tank. First of all, a tanker should already have his own tank, and wouldn't be running around on an assault trying to find knocked out tanks.

Secondly, how do you get into a recently knocked out tank? Hatches were locked from the inside. If the round that took it out was enough to blow open the hatch, I'm pretty sure everything inside is useless.

Thirdly, recently knocked out tanks are dangerous, they could be on fire, be able to explode, be full of noxious fumes, be recently targetted.

So I figure this could be implemented in a prepared defensive situation, with trained tankers in a few randomly chosen knocked-out tanks. I personally wouldn't want to be them, as the lack of mobility typically = death.

Upvote 0
Secondly, how do you get into a recently knocked out tank? Hatches were locked from the inside. If the round that took it out was enough to blow open the hatch, I'm pretty sure everything inside is useless.

Chances are that if a tank is simply immobilized with a shiften front, that the tankers originally in it would have bailed the tank rather than stay inside and keep it locked waiting for the enemy to arrive and lynch them. Although i do think like you said that this is not a realistic idea to have in like 10% of all tenk wreckages on maps, as that amount is way too high still.

However some mappers using it on purpose with some random chance of tanks showing up enterable would be nice, kriegstadt indeed comes to mind. Although its of seriously minor importance to me atleast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only thing with Kriegstadt is it was a prepared position and not a knocked out tank, but rather a turret without a chassis. I've got pictures of knocked out Pantherturms though :eek:

Yeah but the gameplay effect is the same, which is what i meant. Its a tank that cannot move, and only got its functioning turret.

Upvote 0