• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hipocracy

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2009
now UE3 is cool, you have moved past UE2.5, which is great. But why not take the next step forward and move to Cry Engine 3 for KF2 and RO 3? Cry engine 3 is a optimized version of the Cry engine 2 right? i mean it can run crysis 2 with high shaders on the Xbox 360 crysis would run at 15 fps on the 360 :p.

now UE3 is cool, you have moved past UE2.5, which is great. But why not take the next step forward and move to Cry Engine 3 for KF2 and RO 3? Cry engine 3 is a optimized version of the Cry engine 2 right? i mean it can run crysis 2 with high shaders on the Xbox 360 crysis would run at 15 fps on the 360 :p.

Programmers know whitch engine is suitable for massive online play.

Upvote 0
Why take a completely new engine when they can take UE 3.5.

Upvote 0

Tripwire staff has experience mainly in the unreal engine, beside that they have gotten 1 license for UE2 and 1 for UE3 as winners of the make something unreal contest. If you check the prices for engines youll see that its a logical choice to go for UE3.

Beside that especially with the latest lightning upgrades of UE3 it actually looks really nifty. Remember that engines are not only about looks, if anything netcode is one of the things that generally makes unreal engines shine.

Upvote 0
I know the UE3 from Unreal Tournament III, where it's doing an excellent job. Everything looks real, at least the human architecture. The aliens and their facilities is a different story.

But concerning the WW II setting I know it from MoHA where it's doing a good job. Here it's on one side lagging in collision checking, often you need to shoot enemies for "feeled" minutes. Another bad thing is the ragdoll physics. I can remember too well as I smacked an US Ranger from the church tower on the Njemegen map (Op. Market Garden) and he fell to the ground but came up the whole way again, cause is hand got stuck to some planks in the tower's floor. So he bungee jumped there for several times.

Or I bashed again an American soldier down and see what happened to him:

I'd be really glad to NOT see this in Red Orchestra HoS.

Concerning the other engines. First of all a major problem yet as Ostfront was released several players who barely managed to get RO V3.3 going on their computers had no chance to go on to Ostfront. The engine had improved that much you resulted in too few FPS and yet on the other side you could start cheating a bit. Less FPS didn't show up recoil of your weapon. You could fire out a whole drum of the PPSh without any movement of the gun. (Btw this is something that shouldn't happen again, no super broomsticks in HoS please)

Now we go for the UE3 which is still a real challenge for many computers. So we'll surely have some players here who can't join us due to a computer whose highend is reached.
If we now set out for new land on a different engine for a possible RO 3 this would kill even more.
Crysis engine is surely a nice engine but it's made for jungles and for south seas. When TWI goes for a Japan vs. USA shooter this would be an awesome engine to use. You'd have everything for jungle warefare.
Large maps, awesome water. Yet I remember the old Japanese aircraft-carrier and the old Japanese bases in Far Cry. When standing there you just need a different uniform, an Arisaka99 bolt-action-rifle and your fixed bayonet, US Marines as enemies and you feel like back in 1944. :)
Would be awesome, a jungle shooter with CryEngine 2 or 3 featuring a Japanese SP campaign.

But the CryEngine itself laggs in several things. Once more the ragdoll is sometimes a real mess and the collision checks are nuts on several occasions. The DirectX10 servers which have destroyable environtments are way of to be good. The blown up stuff most likely flies/falls differently on each computer, therefore you sometimes can see tanks driving against invisible walls. Simply weird.

Let's first watch how RO:HoS is doing with the UE3 and later on we can start polls for different engines :)
A very good thing is the 1st person body awareness. But to be honest it shouldn't be too hard to get this done with the UE3, should it?

Upvote 0
They won't switch engines no matter what. They won the rights to the UE3 and that's how it will be. Tripwire will work their dev magic with this engine.

For this game now upcoming it will be like that no doubt and I I'm sure it will be awesome with it. But for later games they might change cause there they have no "won licenses" anymore.

Dev Magic: Yeah, hopefully with eradicating any bad things of Ostfront. Like some animations and how you do things, and of course implementing new things judged to be good like 1st person body awareness. And the recoilless SMGs caused by low FPS.

Also they should keep out new bugs like shown in a previous posting (Ragdoll)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm just saying that for later games unreal isn't the only or the best looking engine, i may sound like a person who no matter what you do will still whine about it and is never great full and is always unsatisfied but.... wait i think i just described myself... meh?

As stated above, there are many good reasons to use UE3.

1) The developers are used to UE2.5. UE3 is more similar to UE2.5 than Cryengine 2/3. This makes it quicker for the devs to learn how to use the old engine and get working quicker, which means they can release a product quicker. This means they can get money to stay in business quicker. It is called logic.

2) Many people know how to use UE3. It is one of the most popular game engines out there right now. This makes it easy for the mod community to get going to keep the game alive. Cryengine 2 is only used in Crysis. Therefore, not many people know how to use it. Did you even stop to think why so many games use UE3, and only one series (a total of two games) uses Cryengine 2?

3) UE3 looks amazing. UT3 looks almost as good as Crysis. But UE3 seems to scale down better than Cryengine 2.

4) The devs have a license to UE3. Not Cryengine 2.

And many other reasons.

Upvote 0
Applause for our facepalmers who palmed and explained nothing :D

And many thanks to Flogger23m who gives us a nice analysis here :)

Did you even stop to think why so many games use UE3, and only one series (a total of two games) uses Cryengine 2?

I can tell you :)
The CryEngine2 is a hardware hungry beast. Almost no one can play a game with it in a resolution higher that 800x600, which is very sad cause most magic of the graphics is lost.

And yes, like you mentioned it can scale down, so from distance you have a low poly model and the closer you get it becomes more polys at a time.

Myself I'm pretty sure that a possible Killing Floors 2 will use the UE3 also. But if a currently unsure but possible RO3 will still use the UE3 is in the stars. Surely when the UE4 is available TWI will go for it! If it's not they might use the UE3 once more which might be outdated a bit by 2011/12.

Like I previously stated here in this thread. The CryEngines 1 & 2, they'd be awesome for a pacific war theatre shooter which includes Imperial Japan and (world police :D) USA. But as RO is not the Japan's Eastern Front, cause it is Germany's Eastern one there is no need of jungles, is there?
But hehe, TWI, I want to go for USA as a Japanese Imperial Army soldier! ;)
To be honest it would be nice to have some rumble in the jungle, but currently we're all waiting for a very nice RO2 coming quite soon.

Upvote 0
i'm just saying that for later games unreal isn't the only or the best looking engine, i may sound like a person who no matter what you do will still whine about it and is never great full and is always unsatisfied but.... wait i think i just described myself... meh?

Wasn't replying to your post.

Upvote 0