• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Appreciation/criticism of models

Private_Joker

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
Not really any credibility behind my opinon, but I figure it might be nice to have some discussion about the Zed models. I say this having never seen the models from the old mod:

CLOT: Perfect. His pasty white scrawniness reminds me of the children who would get stomped on the school yard during recess. Their mild fearsomeness reflects, perfectly, their mild strength. The only improvement I can imagine is bigger, sharp claws to exhibit the danger of their grabbing ability, which has ultimately destroyed me on many occasions.

GOREFAST: Also excellent. Their angry red color of their skin is wonderfully consistent with their ferocity. Only suggestion is a different facial expression--they obviously feel excited to fulfill the only purpose of their being set forth by the disemboweling instrument integrated directly into their body, so let me see the mania on their face as they rush up to slash at me. Ithik that'd be lots more fearsome.

CRAWLER: I ****ing hate spiders. The crawler looks a bit too much like a man in a halloween costume to strike fear into me--more like annoyance. I think that the perception which causes terror in arachnophobs like myself is of the spider's legs, so maybe the crawler could do with some more creepy crawliness.

STALKER: Heheh. Boobies. While I certainly appreciate the effort ho entertian my desparate geeky gamer libido, unfortunately my reflex when I see a fair figure in D-cups and a lacy thong is NOT to fill her with shot--this I find myself made to do as means to my survival, and thus terribly conflicted and sad at every occasion. Some scrawniness and less provocative underwear would be nice.

BLOAT: Pretty good. I enjoy popping his head off and watching him fall on his fat ***, but he's more disgusting than fear-inspiring, to be honest. Giant, open mouths with bic dull teeth are always a good way to inspise fear, and I imagine that that would fit the Bloat's charachter pretty well.

SIREN: Chilling. Her appearance, like her scream, inspires a duly passionate mixture of fear and pity. I MUST kill her, for her own good or for mine. A more emphatic animation during her scream might be nice--as it is, it seems like it merel radiates from somewhere inside her, but it'd be alot more effective if maybe she therw her head back.

SCRAKE: Fantastic. His aesthetic is that of true arrogance and a sort of condescention. I feel as if his chainsaw is just his favorite way of exploiting me for his own evil pleasure--this is supported by his evil laughing. He needs to be more blood-covered, though. Right now he looks like he's never experienced his own thrill of shredding a human's chest with his messy chainsaw.

FLESHPOUND: Holy ****, fleshpound's coming.

PATTY: Well done, I think. He exhibits the destructive power of a monster, but the evil that can only be done by men. Doesn't look very well put togethr, though--those spines stick out of him too arbitrarily.

In general, I like that each of the models fit their charachter well, but to truly meet the aesthetic of the gameplay I hoph that eventually some of them could be made to appear more fearsome.

Cheers,
-Joker

All are spot on cept:

Patriarch. I prefer a combination of retail and mod version. His lean physique from the mod and his tentacles/pink sock from the retail, oh and his voice definitely rocked way more in the mod version.

Skrake. Again, the mod version one reminded me of a true nut who'd gone ape**** with his chainsaw on an abbatoir full of beef...his darkened eyes and blood matted hair and apron were fantastic. Not to mention his vocal quips such as "look at me, i'm a mess" - superb :)

But yeah, all in all, retail KF monsters are quality.

Upvote 0
I've always thought the Patriarch looks cartoony compared to the rest of the models in game. Out of them all he's my least favorite. I can't exactly pin point what makes me feel that way. Maybe it's the shredded pants, or the very real human face on the non-human body, or the way he carries the minigun. Whenever I see him I think of TF2 for some reason. (Then he shoots me in the face and that line of thinking ends.)

Upvote 0
I agree, Patty isn't scary at all. The Scrake is more menacing than him.
I think if he wasn't as defined, and he looked more raw he might be a bit better.

Also, I think the Clots' sounds sound a bit too... "big" for them. They're suppose to be wimps that hold onto you, they sound like they should be a bit bigger or stronger. It's probably just me though.

Upvote 0
I agree, Patty isn't scary at all. The Scrake is more menacing than him.
I think if he wasn't as defined, and he looked more raw he might be a bit better.

Also, I think the Clots' sounds sound a bit too... "big" for them. They're suppose to be wimps that hold onto you, they sound like they should be a bit bigger or stronger. It's probably just me though.

His big, goofy-looking 'eye that pokes out through his glasses gets me...it makes me laugh so hard...I can't take him seriously after that eye pops out when he unloads his minigun...

Upvote 0
A couple more notes:

For the bloat, I was trying to refer to a common image from horror movies, I remember at least one from House on Haunted Hill--the monster whose face is just one freakishly giant mouth with big teeth. No eyes or nose, just a big horrifying mouth sitting on their neck. I think they put something like what I'm thinking in The Unborn too. I think it'd fit well, any if I had any drawing skill, I'd draw up a concept, but nah.

For the stalker, again, I do like boobies, but I'd rather they have another place in the game, like maybe female player models, or possibly have some different models for the Trader, so it's not just the same girl on every map.

-Joker

Upvote 0
I think bloats should have a giant vertical gash in their bellies. Sort of like the gonome super zombie thing from the original half-life, but more like someone took a chainsaw to that mountain of fat then a mouth. Make it so you can see the insides... And then make it so the gash opens up and the bile spills out :eek:... Let's be honest, if you saw a gigantic fat tub of lard with his innards hanging out you'd be more repulsed and scared than what we currently have. Then, if that thing spewed stomach acid and whatever the hell it was gorging on (make it chunky!) to get that fat in the first place at you from a hole in its fat and that crap got in your eyes and on your face, you'd probably throw up on your keyboard. Not sure if that's a good thing, but it's an idea.

Stalkers: BOOBIES! Too bad they're invisible...

Patriarch: A nerd who got his hands on a BFG. The tentacles/mutations are not actually due to any kind of virus/genetic engineeering; they're really just the physical manifestation of his inflating e-peen and nerd-rage :p Seriously, the guy's not threatening at all. Fix the eyes, get rid of the glasses, bulk him up some, do SOMETHING about the ripped jeans, make the minigun/rocket launcher look like something he ripped off of a tank instead of something designed for human use, and turn the tentacle thing in his chest (it looks like a damn flower growing out of him...) into a skeletal wing growing out of his shoulder like the ones Kerrigan from Starcraft has.

Upvote 0