• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Animation 'cycle' for bolt actions

Well still when you're reloading you can do nothing. In real life you'd care nuts about the reloading and you'd bash out the enemy's brain. When I press left mouse I wish the rifle to fire and not to see a bolting animation. It should be another key, cause after firing an SMG or another semi/auto weapon you don't pull the charging handle by clicking left mouse, do ya?:rolleyes:

Concerning animations: yes, many times it looks bad and the reloading sound gets weird best example is Call of Duty 2. Anyway these things are all avoidable and good animations is definitely something to ask for and something that TWI should/will provide. :)

About seeing where you hit with the bullet: If it's the kind of auto-bolting seen in Call of Duty 2, where you're holding the rifle into your face while bolting you're right, but if the auto bolting features what Red Orchestra is doing for bolting, that you un-aim and re-aim again, then there should be no problem with it. :)

Lemon and saving his *** with bolt-yourself: Like I said, interruptable animations provide thalt you can stab/bash directly after shooting/while rebolting (bolting stops in order to allow melee) or while reloading.
Ah this brings another idea to my mid, ever thought of a stab ability while you're about to attach your bayonet? So one hand you're holding your rifle and in the other your bayonet. I'm quite sure you can melee with the knife in the one hand. Also something a game like RO:HoS should provide cause atm you're helpless during the attaching animation.

So lads we see that it's mostly on animations that need to be good. :)
And yet like I said TWI should make it selectable if you wish to "bolt-yourself" or "auto-bolt"(with breakable animations), so everyone is satisfied. :eek:

Upvote 0
cause after firing an SMG or another semi/auto weapon you don't pull the charging handle by clicking left mouse, do ya?
you dont manually close the bolt after reloading a bolty in RO either o_O

the main reason i allready stated was that i can watch where my shot goes after fireing, having the rifle to automaticly chamber a new round would just break the feeling and make us miss out a great advantage!
it is only useable if your weapon stays in its sights, as you can then judge the difference you need to aim higher/lower

and a additional button would just make it more complicated

just double click if you want fast autobolting, or click once and chamber a new round later

imo RO:Ost allready featured autobolting by doubleclicking

Last edited:
Upvote 0
putting in auto-bolting again would be a huge step backwards, please leave it as it is or add optional auto bolting.

also abortable animations would be nice but i think they are very very hard to implement without looking crappy. I think they'd had to do an animation for every possible time you would want to abort the normal animation to let it look good, what should be really time-consumpting if you do that for every weapon.

Upvote 0
if they're going to have different times for cycling/reloading, then it should be related to your player, not just random.

-for example if you are running about it will take longer than if you are standing still.

-If you have been hit in the hand it will take longer.

-if you are out of breath it will take longer.

this way it would actually make more sense. A marksman calmly shooting from a rooftop will be able to bolt faster than someone who is wounded, out of breath and running about.

saying all this i think just keeping it roughly the same with a little variation would be best. Having too much randomisation will make it seem unfair, since the player has no control.

i.e. you face an enemy bolter, every time you bolt, it takes the longest possible time, and every time he bolts it takes the shortest time, so he gets off 3 shots and you only get off 2. i.e. you don't feel outplayed, you feel like the game unfairly handicapped your performance.

I agree, but I also think that if you are under suppressing fire from a MG or SMG, it should also take longer.

Upvote 0
I agree, but I also think that if you are under suppressing fire from a MG or SMG, it should also take longer.

Hm, I'm not sure concerning this, wouldn't you try to bolt even faster cause you got threatened your life by this MG?
I believe I'd bolt the hell outta the rifle in order to get the next round ready to fire at the bastid, won't ya?

Upvote 0
I ran a search on "boltling", and found this previous thread discussing suggestions about whether re-bolting should be automatic, or require a keystroke to accomplish.

Having reviewed the recent convention videos featuring the new sniper scope features, the question came to mind whether the rifle re-bolting was automatic or a separate command action?

After watching the sniper scope videos, there were instances when I wanted to see the sight picture left on the target, instead of immediately going into the bolting sequence. This leads to this question then, whether we've learned if bolting a rifle is a separate player action, or whether it's automatic (or maybe both by realism level choice or server option).

Anyway, can someone answer this question for me?

Appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah i've wondered the same, maybe Ramm is just so used to doubleclicking with the rifles we don't get to see it in action, or perhabs manual bolting is turned off? not implimented yet? removed?

It best still be in there! :(

I opened a thread about this a while back, Ramm's answer was that HoS is going to feature both manual and auto bolting, with manual having a slight speed advantage.

Upvote 0
Hm, I'm not sure concerning this, wouldn't you try to bolt even faster cause you got threatened your life by this MG?
I believe I'd bolt the hell outta the rifle in order to get the next round ready to fire at the bastid, won't ya?

In a way I'd somewhat agree with you, but it'd be a great way to balance suppressive fire. Not only that, but it could exacerbate the problem of pop up rifleman if suddenly while under fire they got a burst of speed in their bolting.

Upvote 0
if they're going to have different times for cycling/reloading, then it should be related to your player, not just random.

-for example if you are running about it will take longer than if you are standing still.

-If you have been hit in the hand it will take longer.

-if you are out of breath it will take longer.

this way it would actually make more sense. A marksman calmly shooting from a rooftop will be able to bolt faster than someone who is wounded, out of breath and running about.

saying all this i think just keeping it roughly the same with a little variation would be best. Having too much randomisation will make it seem unfair, since the player has no control.

i.e. you face an enemy bolter, every time you bolt, it takes the longest possible time, and every time he bolts it takes the shortest time, so he gets off 3 shots and you only get off 2. i.e. you don't feel outplayed, you feel like the game unfairly handicapped your performance.

Definitely. Sounds good :)

Upvote 0
ok the problem with wonderful idea is that in order to make it a game based on skill its necessary to make reloading times approx the same for each type of gun.

however instead of changing the time just make 3 animations per gun that take the same amount of time. this way i get to see 3 different ones and possibly they could release more in a patch. making any more for release day would just be silly.

also maybe if you are injured you reload slower to shot in the hand. whoever mentioned that i like it. however it takes way skill and adds random look at tf2 its lost any skill base that it has and its completely and utterly impossible to have a a competitive match with all those weapons. they distroyed a fun game to play, and in the process made a hat simulator.

ps is bolting gun nerd speak for realoading.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the skilled reloading stuff...For example in Alien Swarm =)

It would be great if there was an option to turn Skilled reloading on. So you press R to activate reloading and you have to press R at the right "Moment" to do a faster reload but if you miss it then its a longer reload time...If you don't bother with trying to get a fast reload. Then the reload time is moderate.

These are great for panic moments.

-

The bolt action weapons though...hrm...I think it would be tooooo tedious. Better just to leave that alone but definetly have 2 or 3 animations (of the same speed). I'm always up for animations

Upvote 0