• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Europe: 1914-1916

July Update

July Update

Welcome back to another update from the IE team. As you might see the pattern here, we're going to try and have something to show to the community on the first of every month.

This months showcase, while not very media intensive, goes over an important feature necessary for any mod to succeed. These are the maps of the mod, and mainly, how we actually plan and work on maps for a game that isn't even out yet.

We take you down to Cheesemcboots, mapper, modeler, texture artist, and CrazyThumbs for an in-depth look.

Hello all
I was just working on some concept for Iron Europe when I thought it would be good to tell the community about what approach the team will take in designing maps. We are experimenting with real world design practices to get a better understanding of the architecture needed and to give our players the best possible gameplay experience. In addition to this, our team researchers are have been heavily involved in researching the battle locations. By using real world maps and actual factual research, we have been able to flesh out certain maps that will be included in the first release. The below images are an example of how the team has approached designing the maps that will be created.

Research
One of the most important parts for creating our maps is research. We want our maps to be as historically accurate as possible. We go through many images and different maps, and pick an area of a certain battle that we want to focus on. Then we go through first hand accounts, aerial photographs, trench maps, anything available that will improve accuracy. For one of our maps we even have the names for each individual trench that most be attacked.

This is a small preview as to what the map researchers have produced for the team...hand drawn plans.
mapsketch.jpg

This picture is taken from our sketch map of Langemarck, and early war map that will be included in our first release.

From this, the team has been able to import certain images into the vanilla unreal editor to start fleshing out the maps for testing. This is the same process we'll use once we have the RO:HoS SDK.
ingameeditor.jpg

Concept
In order to illustrate this better, pictures are shown below to explain the technique much better, but it must be noted that this is only an example map and will not be created for the game, merely demonstration. The first image is a basic floor plan layout created by an architectural drafting program and then edited in a photoshop. What this tells the team is 2 things. What to map and how the player will move throughout the space.
floorplan.jpg

The next step in this demonstration map concept would be to perform a sketch overlay. This is a loose visualization into basic player interactions within the maps playable area. Seen below is the sketch overlay image for this map concept.
conceptsketchoverproper.jpg

In order to gain a better understanding of the concept, the 2d image was imported into a 3d architectural modeling program for visualization. This recreates what the concept designer is thinking and allows mappers to gain a much better understanding of the space required. This is again basic and only to give the team members a sense of the task at hand.
firstextrusion.jpg

The next image is after 'real world' building heights have been factored in. Again, as it is a concept, nothing is 'concrete' at this point.
differentextrusionheights.jpg

To give the mappers a better understanding of the concept, an artist might add details to one area that will give preview to the rest of the area. Again, here research is key as architecture is extremely area specific.
isoperspective.jpg

Buildings
The following images are a small example of how a real world design application can be used to help mappers understand the architecture required. This technique is another way the Iron Europe team is adding that little extra realism to the mod.
WINDOW-Layout1.jpg

9-1.jpg

Statics
At this stage, the map is almost ready to be handed to the mappers so that they can do what they do best. On top of the level conceptualization, the team has been busy with static props for the team and community memeber to use in their levels. The following image shows a small example of what we have been working on.
statics.jpg

We hope you enjoyed this post and please stay tuned to read about how we level design for larger, more open spaced maps. Remember to sign up to the forums and have your say!

-Iron Europe dev team

Last edited:
Upvote 0
imo you have 2 options:
- leave the actual map layout out till the game is released and you can block test the layout and until then create assets, buildings you could re-use.

- block the map out in a game/mod that suits your needs in term of player speed and weapon fire/handling. For that testing the spawnsystem and gameplay should be in place like it will be with your mod. Gather testers, have them test the blocked out map till you get a feeling for the running distances, chokepoints and fighting spots. After the map is considered "fun", move on and create the actual buildings in place.

I know you said in the past you dont have anything to do for a coder, but i strongly advise to start working on the "code" side. Focus on bringing your design document in a code architecture form with a coder, best one familiar with UT3 code. This will force you to have a specific feature list and will quickly show up certain restrictions as well as building up a picture of what should and shouldnt be possible in your mod.
Code planing will ensure you dont get into trouble making release dates :)

Just my 2 cents from past mod experience and software development.

Upvote 0
I know you said in the past you dont have anything to do for a coder, but i strongly advise to start working on the "code" side.

thanks for the comments worluk. I think the problem atm is we dont have anyone that can code. Ideally we would start to learn UE3 like any self respecting mod it is just that we are still learning texturing, modelling and everything else besides coding. We will get there eventually. Hopefully though someone will answer our adverts. I will repost at moddb for a coder position in response to your comments. Also great advice on the maps play testing in other engine. I can map well for hl2 so I might try a demo map in that.

Upvote 0
you should do a proper text for coders, showing what you have already done, and especially where you want to go, feature wise.
Post that on the epic games forums and on beyondunreal too.

HL2 seems to be a decent choice considering basically everyone seems to have the one or other HL2 game, not sure what you actually would need then to play the map. HL2 should also work with the rather compact layout you posted above.

Upvote 0
yea well layout above is only to demonstrate the why in which we would model a street or location before making it. I have been experimenting for a while on real world architecture techniques and their implementation into the videogame industry. I want to make a job for myself lol. Basically, I have nearly two degrees in design (industrial and interior) and have worked at an architect firm and now and engineering firm, and basically I want to work as a level designer without the technical skills. I could learn the technical skills easily enough its just I work so much to get uni done its kinda hard atm so all I can do is conceptualize.

Upvote 0
How many artists are on this project atm? I for one can say, if everyone is indeed dedicated, you could have a large amount of statics done along with basic map layouts in UE3. Along with this you can also test/render your objects in UE3 to see how they look ingame.

It's great to have renders, but getting things in UE3 and looking them > renders. Engines will make your models/textures look different. Just an FYI.

Upvote 0
We have put some of our stuff in the UE 3 editor already. We just havent made any of that public. We also have a bunch of static meshes already done. They just arent very exciting. Things like a stone wall arent that fun to look at like when compared to weapons and characters.

Right now we have 2 dedicated 2d artists, myself and CheeseMcboots. Along with a couple in the application process.

You could join up if you'd like. We're always looking for more people to help out.

Upvote 0
As an environmental artist, I thought you'd say that ;)

We're planning a little something for a not so far off update that'll show a little environmental art mixed in with our other stuff. So it will make an appearance, don't you worry.

It sounds like you have some experience with this, we could really use someone with some expertise in that area. Just something to consider, don't want to force it on you.

Upvote 0
The planning and layout of the maps prior to actual creation seem like a good idea. It allows you to plan a map based on real life locations and then see if you can plan/anticipate player movement on that map. I for one prefer more realistic locations (despite my one and only semi-nonfictional map) and I think by doing the above, you can get an idea if the realistic layout will work within the gaming environment. After all, you still have to be play the map with a reasonable amount of fun and success. Ultimately, only play testing will really tell if you succeed.

Also, ideas can be discussed and approved/discarded before actual editor work is done on the map, possibly saving your mappers time by limiting all the trial and error. Of course, there could be a drawback to this as well, in that time spent preplanning could possibly be avoided by a creative and talented mapper who can visualize these things and just create them.

Of course, with other things such as statics and meshes, getting a jump on them ahead of time is a wonderful idea. There probably is so much to do and with the team probably working on things in their spare time, every little bit helps.

Upvote 0