• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Animation 'cycle' for bolt actions

Ralfst3r

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
The Netherlands
I was thinking, you never bolt the same. Maybe make like 5 diffirent animations for bolting, which randomly play. So one time it takes 1 second to bolt, the other time it won't go as smooth and a longer animation is played.

It might be considered a waste of time and resources, but it's little things like that that add to immersion imho anyway.

if they're going to have different times for cycling/reloading, then it should be related to your player, not just random.

-for example if you are running about it will take longer than if you are standing still.

-If you have been hit in the hand it will take longer.

-if you are out of breath it will take longer.

this way it would actually make more sense. A marksman calmly shooting from a rooftop will be able to bolt faster than someone who is wounded, out of breath and running about.

saying all this i think just keeping it roughly the same with a little variation would be best. Having too much randomisation will make it seem unfair, since the player has no control.

i.e. you face an enemy bolter, every time you bolt, it takes the longest possible time, and every time he bolts it takes the shortest time, so he gets off 3 shots and you only get off 2. i.e. you don't feel outplayed, you feel like the game unfairly handicapped your performance.

Reactions: SgtH3nry3
Upvote 0
I also like the idea that the cycling depends on the players status (out of breath/wounded etc). this would make people move on more carefully. Atm in RO I just run and gun with my rifle, hipshooting people on absolutely unrealistic distances of 50+ metres. with having in mind that my bolt might not cycle well I would most propably play more calmly

Upvote 0
Please go back for "auto-bolting", it irritates me quite much when I press left mouse I want my gun to fire and not to rebolt.
I know it was done to allow you melee attacking or sprinting directly after shooting. Well, I consider there another solution to this problem, why not get breakable animations, so when you are in the middle of bolting and someone is about melee attacking you, you simply hit right mouse and you can stab/bash also.

Although MoH: Airborne is a very arcade style game, compared to Red Orchestra, it features this kind of animations. I liked this a lot. When you bolted and were attacked you simply started bashing the guts outta the enemy and after that you rebolted.

Much better in my eyes.

Upvote 0
i think they should do something similar to what they do with tanks were you have the option to auto reload/ bolt like you have the option to automatically reload shells if they were to field with that sort of thing. personally i like having to remember to have to re-bolt so i have to keep subconsciously that i have one shot to kill this guy and then i have to go back under cover

Upvote 0
Please go back for "auto-bolting", it irritates me quite much when I press left mouse I want my gun to fire and not to rebolt.
I know it was done to allow you melee attacking or sprinting directly after shooting. <snip>.

For me, while it's also about melee attack, sprinting, etc, it also makes the rifle FEEL a lot more like a bolt action. In other games the auto-bolting makes every rifle just seem like a very slow semi-automatic to me. RO gets bolts right.

Upvote 0
I'm also against auto-bolting and if it should be "re-implemented" it should give you a slight disadvantage in bolting speed IMO
However, the auto bolting has been discussed several years ago and tripwire decided to listen for the community, resulting in having to click to start bolting. Feels a lot better and also adds some to the immersion and maybe even realism factor to me, just because you aren't forced to rebolt, having the possibility to start a melee attack, switching the weapon or whatever.

Upvote 0
As someone who shoots his beloved K98 in real life, I think it's a good idea...a bit of roughness here, a change of hand animation there, maybe throw in a SLIGHT jam-up (that gets fixed automatically within the animation) every once in a while...

and yeah bolt operation (as well as magazine loading) should take longer due to how hurt you are (but not necessarily cause more mishaps)

in my mind RO is not supposed to be about personal stats and going on epic kill streaks (go on CoD for that...plus you get dogs! arf arf!)...its supposed to be about getting a realistic battle experience (for a game at least), which means things you cannot control messing up your l33t skillz every once in a while

btw when I first bought the game a couple years ago, having to click again for a reload completely made me respect the game as something other than the kiddie's arcade crap most people play...as well as the fact that one bullet can easily kill a human

Upvote 0
Hehe, I suggested an attack dog class once here in the forums and they bashed me up: "It's unrealistic cause real dogs never strafe to avoid bullets", how will this work with minedogs, then? Are they more intelligent due to their mine? :D

This is offtopic, but were there actual minedogs in the second world war? Dogs that had explosives on them?

Upvote 0
Well the result was that Germans shot any dog at sight. :)

Anyway back on topic. I'd still favor an auto-bolting, cause you don't pull the charging handle of an SMG manually ingame don't ya?

I can remember the discussion on the "bolt-yourself" and it was mainly due to the problem you couldn't melee attack and couldn't sprint away. omg! I can remember also too well getting stabbed because of the darn f+++ing rebolt animation which simply couldn't be interrupted or the nades that got me cause I could run.

Now as different games showed and still show off that breakable animations are at least no problem for the UnrealEngine III, I rather suggest to get back on auto-bolt. Or even make it selectable, so players who are mad about "Bolt yourself" can bolt on their own and the others get the auto-bolt.

Then everyone will be happy. :)

Upvote 0