• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Refuge BETA

IrritAnt

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2009
A refugee camp outside of London, mid-winter. Built to house three hundred, the camp has been expanded to be home to more than two thousand.

Now it's about to be overrun by specimens. The people have been evacuated, but with nowhere else to go they expect to be coming back.

Your job - clear out the specimens and secure the camp for the safe return of the refugees.

KF-Refuge BETA
Download the map here;
http://files.filefront.com/13931485

There's still a lot of polish work to be done. Any bugs or strangeness, please let me know!

Please don't distribute the map of any map pack until I've released the final version.

Cheers and enjoy!

Last edited:
I couldn't find any major issues and gameplay is pretty clean in there.

A few recommendations:

1) The diagonal wooden support in the burned out building allows you to climb on top of the roof, jump on to another roof, and then on to the rubbish boxes. The Bots can't get you up there and it's a bit of a player exploit area.

2) How about adding 2 entrances to the wooden shacks at the far end near the tents? This will open up more areas for Bots to creep up on you and provide more room for manouver.

3) Increase the scale (width) of the lorry in the garage area so that it sits comfortably over the mechanic bay. It's currently balancing very precariously.

4) Add a few more ramps in the crate area for Bots to access the top. It's easy for players to just run back and forth to confuse the Bots and they stay on the ground below.

5) The Bots get stuck on the beds/benches in the barrack type buildings and chapel. One room where all the beds were pushed into the sides works very well and maybe something more along those lines with keep game play smooth.

6) Add some more ZombieVolumes near the tent area. After leading the trader in that zone, game play stops as there don't appear to be any spawn points until you get back into the barracks area.

7) How about a little terrain editing in the actual game play area? I see the terrain has been molded outside the camp. A few smooth rolling snow mounds won't hurt.

8) Would the blocking volumes on the tents benefit by giving the player a little flexibility when interacting with them. At present, it feels like a vertical block and it's like getting slapped in the face with a gardening fork :D

9) A few of the door keys could do with a little tweaking. The open/close is a touch erratic with the door sinking into surrounding SMs.

I must say though, it's looking good in there. The effects, architecture, and overall feel make this map really good to play in. I like the fact you're considering barracks individually rather than simply duplicating all props and that you're taking care with your brush work.

Keep it coming because it clearly has great potential.

Upvote 0
First, i want to congratulate you for the wonderful map... very nice idea... art work seems leet... =)

now... the bad part... the crates area seems to be quite easy for players, even on harder levels... just walk around the top of the crates and the zombies will get to you, but it will take so long for them, and is so easy to just jump to another crate and the zombies have to go around again... that makes the game play REALLY easy...

another one... me and my friends found a MAJOR bug in this map concerning the crates... as far as we noticed, this happens only near crates, and we found 2 places so far, one in the crates area and another on the crate on the trader near where the bodybags and corpses are stacked... screenshots below...

The bug is as follow: Whenever you get close to those crates, you simply DIE and disappear leaving just your gun behind, and the game sends a message that you left a small crater, as if you fell from a high place. On the trader spot, it happens on the right side of the trader where i'm pointing(although we didn't test the other side), and on the crates area, it happens in front of the white crate, where someone that was killed left his shotgun.

1) 2)

Hope i was self explanatory enough in my words and managed to show the correct places for corrections... in case you need more info, just ask... we won't take this map off of the server because we really liked it and feel that it will soon be fixed... but hurry up and make a beta2... =P

If we find anymore glitches/exploits we'll let you know...

EDIT: Note that on screenshot 1, there are 2 shotguns on the ground... the one i am talking about is the one near the crate. The other one was dropped by me before suiciding so i would have a gun on next round...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Awesome feedback, thanks very much. It's all appreciated.

Fixed the previously-fixed-but-not link.

I couldn't find any major issues and gameplay is pretty clean in there.

A few recommendations:

1) The diagonal wooden support in the burned out building allows you to climb on top of the roof, jump on to another roof, and then on to the rubbish boxes. The Bots can't get you up there and it's a bit of a player exploit area.

2) How about adding 2 entrances to the wooden shacks at the far end near the tents? This will open up more areas for Bots to creep up on you and provide more room for manouver.

3) Increase the scale (width) of the lorry in the garage area so that it sits comfortably over the mechanic bay. It's currently balancing very precariously.

4) Add a few more ramps in the crate area for Bots to access the top. It's easy for players to just run back and forth to confuse the Bots and they stay on the ground below.

5) The Bots get stuck on the beds/benches in the barrack type buildings and chapel. One room where all the beds were pushed into the sides works very well and maybe something more along those lines with keep game play smooth.

6) Add some more ZombieVolumes near the tent area. After leading the trader in that zone, game play stops as there don't appear to be any spawn points until you get back into the barracks area.

7) How about a little terrain editing in the actual game play area? I see the terrain has been molded outside the camp. A few smooth rolling snow mounds won't hurt.

8) Would the blocking volumes on the tents benefit by giving the player a little flexibility when interacting with them. At present, it feels like a vertical block and it's like getting slapped in the face with a gardening fork :D

9) A few of the door keys could do with a little tweaking. The open/close is a touch erratic with the door sinking into surrounding SMs.

I must say though, it's looking good in there. The effects, architecture, and overall feel make this map really good to play in. I like the fact you're considering barracks individually rather than simply duplicating all props and that you're taking care with your brush work.

Keep it coming because it clearly has great potential.

Upvote 0
More great feedback, thanks very much. I'll have to have a close look at the area you're talking about to try and spot the problem. I did have an ongoing battle with a BSP error in that region - thought I'd gotten rid of it, but apparently not.

This is what Betas are for :)

First, i want to congratulate you for the wonderful map... very nice idea... art work seems leet... =)

now... the bad part... the crates area seems to be quite easy for players, even on harder levels... just walk around the top of the crates and the zombies will get to you, but it will take so long for them, and is so easy to just jump to another crate and the zombies have to go around again... that makes the game play REALLY easy...

another one... me and my friends found a MAJOR bug in this map concerning the crates... as far as we noticed, this happens only near crates, and we found 2 places so far, one in the crates area and another on the crate on the trader near where the bodybags and corpses are stacked... screenshots below...

The bug is as follow: Whenever you get close to those crates, you simply DIE and disappear leaving just your gun behind, and the game sends a message that you left a small crater, as if you fell from a high place. On the trader spot, it happens on the right side of the trader where i'm pointing(although we didn't test the other side), and on the crates area, it happens in front of the white crate, where someone that was killed left his shotgun.

1) 2)

Hope i was self explanatory enough in my words and managed to show the correct places for corrections... in case you need more info, just ask... we won't take this map off of the server because we really liked it and feel that it will soon be fixed... but hurry up and make a beta2... =P

If we find anymore glitches/exploits we'll let you know...

EDIT: Note that on screenshot 1, there are 2 shotguns on the ground... the one i am talking about is the one near the crate. The other one was dropped by me before suiciding so i would have a gun on next round...

Upvote 0
Hey Arramus, I'm not real clear on your second point, about adding 2 entrances to the wooden shacks... do you mean an extra entrance to that area of the compund, or do you mean all the shacks should have an extra doorway?

And a question for everyone who's tried the map - I'm considering cutting the area with the shipping containers entirely. It would make the play area smaller (and therefore more focused), and I'm not sure that the containers keep with the map's theme anyway... Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I just meant an extra opening in the shacks. It doesn't have to be all of them but if it were they could all have differing openings or damage effects which allowed the bots and players more routes.

icacjeyapp.jpg

I also think losing the shipping containers wouldn't affect the overall feel of the map. A few located around the map wouldn't hurt but in their current stacked form are a little out of context. I personally think the burial area is a much better feature and the containers were directing attention away from there.

Upvote 0