• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Commando Tips

How about chainsaw as backup weapon?
Bullpup rawk them crawlers, bloats, sirens and stalkers (and clots). But chainsaw is an excellent weapon (the best?) to decapicate FPs with (killing a FP is othervise normaly hard to do as commando). It also never run out of ammo, so it come in handy to hit-n-run-alt-attacking Scrakes with.

How about using flame thrower on the Patriarch?
As a commando your primary job is to track and interrupt him during his stealth-and-run-to-heal pase. Flame thrower will help with that.

Upvote 0
...then again, bullpup is probably even better weapon to use for FP decapitation (since it, just like chainsaw, have high rate of fire to hit when the mob is vulnerable - but deal less DPS so it is less likely to enrage it in the process).

So that leave Scrake. What is the best weapon for a commando to bring down Scrake with? Dual handcannons?

Upvote 0
If you're gonna do it that way, you're better off as a Berserker with a bullpup...
Yes, commando might be better of leaving Scrake to other perks (such as berserkers or sharpshooters).

But this topic was Commando. IF you are a commando (with a bullpup) you can handle all opponents with ease.

Clots, Gorefast, Bloat and Crawlers die to a short burst (actually one bullet but you might as well tap a few with full auto as you have 40 bullets) in the head shot hit box.
Stalkers light up and are easy to spot and killed without being supprised.
Sirens can be taken out with a few bullets towards their head at long range using x2 scope.
Bullpup is arguable the best weapon to decapitate a FP with.

Bullpup is, however, not a really efficient weapon for killing Scrakes (as it seem to be impossible to decapitate them(?), they gain 50% more HP for each additional party member - which is huge - and bullpup bullets does not deal much damage per hit). Scrakes simply soak to much time and bullets to be worth it.

So the question is. What is the best secondary weapon for a Commando to take down Scrake with. Hunting Shotgun, Flamethrower or XBow would be nice, but they all weight too much to fit the Bullpup. Strongest so far seem to be unleashing multiple body shots with dual handcannons at close to medium range or hit 'n run tactics with a chainsaw alt attack at close range.

Upvote 0
Speaking of the reflex sight, is it just me or does anyone else find it too big and bright? It's alright in well lit areas but out on the farm, that big bright red ring + dot just washes out all the black and you can't see anything under the dot.

They need to get rid of the ring and make the centre dot smaller and fainter, like in CoD4

Upvote 0
Speaking of the reflex sight, is it just me or does anyone else find it too big and bright? It's alright in well lit areas but out on the farm, that big bright red ring + dot just washes out all the black and you can't see anything under the dot.

They need to get rid of the ring and make the centre dot smaller and fainter, like in CoD4

There was a topic elsewhere that suggested a transparency option for the reflex sight.

Upvote 0
Honestly, the best weapon for the scrake is the regular pistol. Seriously. By the time you face scrakes you should have 15 mags. Use the bullpup on Targets of Interest - basically, crawlers, sirens, and gorefasts (in that order). Everything else by that time is slow or easy to kill. Then just pistol the scrake. It'll rage, get to you, all you do is shoot and back away. Make sure that your escape path is clear - if there's a bloat or clot, blow them away with the bullpup. Rinse and repeat.

I also do the same with the FP, but that's because my main strategy for the FP is to injure him enough to take him out with some grenades.

Upvote 0
Bullpup (and chainsaw) are the two best weapons to decapitate FP in melee range when he take his swing at you. Risky, but will only require a few (actually only one if timed correctly, but with the fast RoF and low damage per bullet of Bullpup you can afford to spray) bullet.

I find myself running around with only a bullpup. Atleat on early waves. At later waves i also bring one or two handcannons - mostly for Scrakes - or if i run out of bullpup ammo. Bullpup are cheap as a commando, so is bullpup ammo. If i get exess money I also tend to drop fully loaded bullpups on key locations on the map in case i will run out of ammo on later waves (weapon you drop stay between waves).

Tested to play my rank 4 commando on patriarch yesterday (i normaly play lv 5 medic or sharpshooter on patriarch). 9mm and bullpup have nice "tracer" rounds that your team mates can follow. It turned the whole game into us hunting him, instead of the opposite. Once he stealthed to heal we just followed and keept nuking him, never gave him a chance to actually heal up.

Upvote 0
I would like to know which maps are best for hunting Stalkers. They seem to be very elusive and rather difficult to find most of the time.

On WestLondon, when you spawn, take the small alley that is just in front of you. You know, next to the tunnel with the two red buses.

Everytime I play there I get a lot of Stalkers, and I kill them all before my team has a chance to do it. :D

Upvote 0
It'd be nice if they adapted the perk requirements a bit to the way it's actually played. A mix of taking out crawlers and stalkers would work way better IMO.

A split of 40/60 Stalkers/Crawlers would be a good mix.

So if the current number of Stalkers that has to be killed to level up is 100, that would change to 40 Stalkers and 60 Crawlers. Moreover, it would encourage Commandos to focus on taking out the trash mobs.

Upvote 0

I have noticed this too. To be actually hit anything I have to fire off a shot and see what it hits and adjust aim accordingly. Using the reflex sight just obscures the view too much.

Suggestion: Add an optional red dot laser sight to the bullpup?

It'd be nice if they adapted the perk requirements a bit to the way it's actually played. A mix of taking out crawlers and stalkers would work way better IMO.

A split of 40/60 Stalkers/Crawlers would be a good mix.

So if the current number of Stalkers that has to be killed to level up is 100, that would change to 40 Stalkers and 60 Crawlers. Moreover, it would encourage Commandos to focus on taking out the trash mobs.

I would like this too. Reduce stalker requirement even more and add a crawler requirement into the mix. It would make our lives so much easier. Hell, the damage requirement alone makes leveling commando a pain in the a**e. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All maps have key locations where stalker/crawler spawn.

For example kf-mansion:

1) The "boat house" with two "bridges" (where one of the traders are).
2) The small clearing at the "second" door into the mansion (the right side of the building if you are outside)
3) Cealing on the second floor inside the mansion
4) In the mansion basement (close to the trader down there)

Depending on where your party fight, focus on zeds comming from the four locations. Or even camp one of them while you let support specs focus on clots and gorefasts ;)

Also, having a bullpup as backup, that you switch too for stalkers (and crawlers), while playing other perks help too (for example sometimes pack chainsaw+bullpup playing berserker and sometimes even handcannons and bullpup as sharpshooter).

A few runs i went with a berserker. Stoped the urge to fire on clots and gorefasts (unless the zerker was doing a scrake) - and instead focused my fire on crawlers, stalkers, sirens and bloats. If a fleshpound came for me, i just stepped up to it and fire at its head until it became decapitated while the zerker cleared zeds around us. If it was targeting him he would do the same and i would clear zeds. We made an excellent battle pair.

If you find that you have more stalkers than you have damage - Dont hold back on your fire. Just because you decapitate a zeds using a short tap (which, atleast for me, are no more than maybe 1-3 bullets) doesnt mean you have to stop shooting. Before you reach level 5 you should try to spend all your bullpup ammo on each wave (yes, if you have acess ammo that would include shooting the body of a decapitated bloat just to rank up damage done).

Commando level 5 "pre-patch"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1 thing to note is that single-fire does LESS damage than auto, so its better having full-auto while shooting in controlled bursts

though som people believe single-fire is more accurate and ith around 60-80 hours on commando I really doubt there is a noticable difference

also FPs are easily decaped point blank with bullpup, similar to how chainsaw does it

Upvote 0
1 thing to note is that single-fire does LESS damage than auto, so its better having full-auto while shooting in controlled bursts
You dont use single fire to shoot zeds till they die, you use single fire to decapitate zeds using minimal amount of ammo.

Having said that, I shoot 1-3 bullet bursts. Majority will result in a decapitation. I never leave full auto mode.

Besides. Before you reach level 5 you WANT to spend ammo on bodyshots to fill up that damage done requirement....

Upvote 0