• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

fleshpound: decapitation and sudden-death

cavedog

Jun 4, 2009

In screenshot(attached) the fleshpound is decapitated in spite of lots of
health points. players are 6 and difficulity is suicidal, so fleshpounds have
HP 5,900. I wonder what condition cause stronger zed(scrake, fleshpound)
to be decapitated when they have lots of(at least 20% for example) HP.
I saw someone insisted that even stronger zed has a weak point that
must-cut-off head by precise single shot. Well, I could hardly agree with that...

And, did you see fleshpounds died suddenly? In most cases, almost end of
wave, the last and only zed, fleshpound, died suddenly and automatically
while chasing me. I cannot understand what happened to him at all. Maybe bug or something?
Or sometimes fleshpounds are to die by high blood pressure caused by rage?

Attachments

• Shot00011.jpg
    Shot00011.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Known flesh pound weakness, he has two type of attack

1. Bow forward with head, then thrust both arms forward
2. Hook with one hand then uppercut with the other

During attack 1, his head is exposed, a perfectly timed knife or 9mm round or any other attack will decapitate the head regardless of remaining HP. The FP will die soon after.

I just tried it on solo hard west london poundamonium. Finished it with knife only, 26 decapitations. Started next level with 13k pounds.

Upvote 0
An enraged fleshpound that loose track of all players will selfdestruct and die.

A decapicated fleshpound will bleed out and die in five seconds.

[Atleast in single player] when there are few mobs left the trader will announce that it is time to hit the shop and eventually mobs will die on their own (this stop you spending minutes to search the entire map for power ups with only a few clots running slow behind you).

Upvote 0

During attack 1, his head is exposed, a perfectly timed knife or 9mm round or any other attack will decapitate the head regardless of remaining HP. The FP will die soon after.

I just tried it on solo hard west london poundamonium. Finished it with knife only, 26 decapitations. Started next level with 13k pounds.

That's pretty sick xD

Upvote 0

Yea lol this method is very easy and FP's are no longer threat. I did the same on solo suicidal, only using knife, also did it another round with 9mm. I guess in the future ppl only uses this method to kill em. It's quite fun sometimes yelling that FP is coming and everyone kills it slow and smooth.
Now, using instant kill method, they are easier than clots or crawlers...
And yes, their heads will pop with 1 shot/hit even if they had 99999999999999HP

I may be very wrong but my theory is that when FP is bowing and the head comes closer, the 9mm or knife goes "inside" their heads, and when you shoot it decapitates em instantly.
I came up to this theory since when u try and try and try to point blank headshot them from distance their heads just won't go off. And when u do this instant decapitation method, go as close as u can ever go to FP and when he bows, u shoot once and their heads pops off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...Now, using instant kill method, they are easier than clots or crawlers...

It's on solo, mate. I got quite a headache timing the right moment while playing online. Mostly because of lag, but sometimes, a guy give him a rocket right before the moment, enrage him, and result in a very quick death of mine:(
And you still have to worry about other specimen around. Siren usually goes right behind FP, and her damage increase as you're closer, and go thru armor. That's a pain in the ... ear :=)
But still, I think this's not a bug. This is what commandos have been asking for, a mini-game to replace their weakness in killing FP.

BTW, maybe i'm miss, but in the screen shot, I still can see the head of FP

Upvote 0
It's on solo, mate. I got quite a headache timing the right moment while playing online. Mostly because of lag, but sometimes, a guy give him a rocket right before the moment, enrage him, and result in a very quick death of mine:(
And you still have to worry about other specimen around. Siren usually goes right behind FP, and her damage increase as you're closer, and go thru armor. That's a pain in the ... ear :=)
But still, I think this's not a bug. This is what commandos have been asking for, a mini-game to replace their weakness in killing FP.

BTW, maybe i'm miss, but in the screen shot, I still can see the head of FP

Erm... Maybe i didn't mention, but i do it ALWAYS on ONLINE with 6 PLAYERS playing the server. I don't play solo.. it's boring as what.

Upvote 0
I'm kinda in disbelief that they would leave loopholes in the game that render the two most powerful enemies in the game (Skrakes and Fleshpounds) almost completely useless. I remember kiting fleshpounds...wearing them down slowly so they don't rage, or getting enough distance so when they DO rage, they can't reach me in time to do any damage. Or all the team tactics of mass-grenading and focused fire. Now that's all useless, because all you have to do is run up to it and knife it's head off when it attacks...

I can do this to Fleshpounds almost every time now and it makes the game stupidly easy, even on Suicidal... Skrakes and Fleshpounds are supposed to be the two specimens that break up groups that are easily camping a spot and taking down the lesser specs. It was bad enough that Skrakes could be solo'd with a knife. But now you can basically do the same thing with Fleshpounds...it really takes the point out of the game. I can join a game with a few friends that know how to do this and we can camp an area indefinitely now...

I dunno if it's a bug or an intended feature, but if it's intended, it's a bad feature that needs tweaked or removed. What's the point of even having them in the game if they're as easy to kill as a Clot?

Upvote 0
I'm kinda in disbelief that they would leave loopholes in the game that render the two most powerful enemies in the game (Skrakes and Fleshpounds) almost completely useless. I remember kiting fleshpounds...wearing them down slowly so they don't rage, or getting enough distance so when they DO rage, they can't reach me in time to do any damage. Or all the team tactics of mass-grenading and focused fire. Now that's all useless, because all you have to do is run up to it and knife it's head off when it attacks...

I can do this to Fleshpounds almost every time now and it makes the game stupidly easy, even on Suicidal... Skrakes and Fleshpounds are supposed to be the two specimens that break up groups that are easily camping a spot and taking down the lesser specs. It was bad enough that Skrakes could be solo'd with a knife. But now you can basically do the same thing with Fleshpounds...it really takes the point out of the game. I can join a game with a few friends that know how to do this and we can camp an area indefinitely now...

I dunno if it's a bug or an intended feature, but if it's intended, it's a bad feature that needs tweaked or removed. What's the point of even having them in the game if they're as easy to kill as a Clot?

I hear ya bro. They need to be fixed to get the game interest and intense and everything back.
I do remember too when we kill the FP slowly using the same tactics as u did. It was fun. Ppl arent yelling anymore "omfg zomg wtf FP is coming take coverz!!@@"..
Now it's more like someone saying "let me kill the FP with 1 shot" and that's it.

Upvote 0
I hear ya bro. They need to be fixed to get the game interest and intense and everything back.
I do remember too when we kill the FP slowly using the same tactics as u did. It was fun. Ppl arent yelling anymore "omfg zomg wtf FP is coming take coverz!!@@"..
Now it's more like someone saying "let me kill the FP with 1 shot" and that's it.

Myself and a few other players that knew about this held the Church in West London for an entire 10-wave game on Hard. It was pathetic. Someone would just run up and 'call' the fleshpound, and everyone would let him OHKO it. With Skrakes, they'd just whack 'em with a knife a few times and they'd just stand there... The ONLY trouble was masses of Crawlers and Sirens, but even they weren't much trouble...

I was tempted to rage the Fleshpounds just to spice it up. The whole 1-hit thing FEELS lame, no matter if it was intended or not. It's not a 'weakness to exploit', it's a lame insta-kill that requires nothing but timing and a bit of luck. No teamwork. No planning. No quick-thinking.

No one really had fun that game, it wasn't intense or challenging at all, and everyone quit after we won, commenting on how boring the game has gotten...if games start turning into that, this game is gonna get stale very soon...and since it's still a fairily new game, it would be VERY bad for it to get a reputation for being stale...

Upvote 0
Myself and a few other players that knew about this held the Church in West London for an entire 10-wave game on Hard. It was pathetic. Someone would just run up and 'call' the fleshpound, and everyone would let him OHKO it. With Skrakes, they'd just whack 'em with a knife a few times and they'd just stand there... The ONLY trouble was masses of Crawlers and Sirens, but even they weren't much trouble...

I was tempted to rage the Fleshpounds just to spice it up. The whole 1-hit thing FEELS lame, no matter if it was intended or not. It's not a 'weakness to exploit', it's a lame insta-kill that requires nothing but timing and a bit of luck. No teamwork. No planning. No quick-thinking.

No one really had fun that game, it wasn't intense or challenging at all, and everyone quit after we won, commenting on how boring the game has gotten...if games start turning into that, this game is gonna get stale very soon...and since it's still a fairily new game, it would be VERY bad for it to get a reputation for being stale...

Dude, ur reading my mind. lol. i could imagine that round there. This really needs to be fixed so the FP has the meaning it was meant to have. To bring fear and sh*t like that to the group.
The Fleshpound model is horrifying, and the sound that it makes it frightening and very distrurbing. I would literally sh*t my pants if i see one of those in real life.. But as the voice chat says, they are "like shooting a fish in the barrel." now days.

First time i saw them i rly was scared, i have NO IDEA what they can do or how to kill em, the model was just so scary and horrifying, and i liked it! But after a few weeks, we are in this situation...

I still love the game... but.. Pls, bring the intense back, and fix this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I still wanna know if it's a bug or an intentional feature. I PM'd some devs and mods about it, but haven't heard back yet...

The knowlege of this is everywhere now. At least someone in almost any server you'll join knows of it... Games are seriously a lot less interesting when you have someone who's mastered this technique of this decapping every fleshy in sight. If this somehow IS an intended feature, I have a pretty good list of reasons why it's a BAD one...

1) Makes teamwork obselete

Most enemies in the game are easily taken down by a single player. Skrakes and Fleshpounds were the two enemies that you really NEEDED help to take down in short order in the origional mod. And before the current glitches/shortcuts for Skrakes and Fleshies became well-known, it was the same way in the Retail. In the current situation, though, a single player can take a Fleshpound down within seconds and render a Skrake harmless and immobile in the same amount of time. The need for teamwork is non-existant. Why try to have your teammates help you take that Fleshpound down with massed firepower when you can pop it's head off? Why have a Berserker deal with that pain-in-the-butt Skrake when you can just immobilize him with your knife?

2) Promotes elitism

When enemies are easily defeated by a certain tactic that newbies usually won't know, the players who DO know it are generally very hostile about it. A good example is Left 4 Dead, where established players will viciously berate newbies for not instantly knowing how to deal with a Witch or Tank. They give them no time to learn, as it's 'expected' that everyone in the community knows it by now. It makes it an incredibly frustrating game for newbies and generally slows it's community growth down.

That's the kind of stuff we really DON'T need in Killing Floor. Our community is already starting out pretty small. Fortunately, it's easy to get into right now, with veterans offering tips to newbies and the game in general not having too many little nuances that you MUST know to be successful. But, if you have a certain way to deal with certain enemies that EVERYONE should know, we'll be getting attitude popping up from veterans, who'll expect everyone to know it, in no time and end up with a fairily hostile community. Having a game with a small communty turn into a game with a small, hostile community wouldn't bode well for the future...

3) Eliminates the need for tactics

Why think up teamwork-based strategies when there's a pretty reliable way to OHKO the target? Why learn to kite them, whittle them down, or dodge their attacks when you can instantly kill them? Stuff like this makes any tactic but a very specific one pointless. It also de-values certain approaches that require no small amount of skill. What's the point of being a Sharpshooter and skillfully taking it down in 3-4 headshots, a Support who blasts it back from an ally with a perfectly-timed Shotgun blast, or a Berserker who goes toe-to-toe with it so it doesn't shred a retreating teammate, if anyone in the group can just hop in front of it and immediately pop it's head off with a knife?

Killing Floor should always have players inventing new tactics to take down the tougher foes. This keeps the game constantly changing, which brings me to my next point...

4) Repetitiveness

Part of the fun of Skrakes and Fleshpounds is that they can break up the monotony of holding a certain area over and over again. Teams would have to fall back in the face of a couple of these beasts...or scramble up some desperate teamwork to tackle them fast. IMO, these are some of the most fun moments in the game. But they'll cease to exist if you can easily kill them in 1-hit just like everything else that's coming at you.

Repetition is unavoidable in a game like this. But Fleshpounds and Skrakes make that repetition break up. They 'Shake up the battlefield' which I assumed was why they were there. If they can be taken out this easily, they quickly just become 'another enemy' and taking one down is just as repetitive as shooting a Clot in the head as it grabs you (Irony intended). In the games' current state, it's VERY possible, even easy, to hold certain areas indefinitely, leaving only to visit the trader. This creates incredibly stale games that people don't soon come back to. Not good...

Sorry for the rant/wall of text, but this change in the general gameplay style really, really irks me...

Upvote 0
maybe this thread should be removed, coz it's letting others know about this sort of exploit.

i saw ppl do this before when i was playing but didn't know the exact technique until i read this thread. but i still get killed 50% of the time coz i either miss the head and enrage it and get killed, or someone else at the time doesn't know what i'm doing and shoots at the FP, enraging it.

in the servers i played, very few ppl actually know about this technique, so maybe we should keep it discrete.

Upvote 0
You have prove its "exploit"? many ppl says they were meant to have a weak spot.
Though i agree this needs to be fixed, even if it is meant to have it or not. Cuz i can do it everytime. and i know a few ppl who also can do it everytime.

Yeah, if you call it a glitch, people who can't kill a fleshpound without it freak out and start screaming "NO! THEY WERE MEANT TO HAVE WEAKNESS!!!!1!!!". It's lame. And if it's not a glitch, it needs work. Big-time.

I still haven't heard word from any devs on this. It's like they want to pretend it doesn't exist...

No offense to anyone at Tripwire, but I get the feeling that one of the devs (I hear the name Alex tossed around quite a bit when this is mentioned) put this in as a secret way for him and his buddies to "own" fleshpounds. But it was supposed to be a closely guarded secret and now that it's gotten out, it's causing a large-scale crapstorm within the community. Seems like they might be trying to think up some sort of excuse/damage control to deal with it at the moment.

Oh well. That's my conspiracy theory for the day. Please Tripwire guys, take a look at this. It's getting ridiculous. About 2/3 of everyone I see on servers now knows about this and most of 'em can do it without a hitch...

Upvote 0
Why not just make it so fleshpounds and scrakes cannot be decapitated until at least 50% or more of their health is gone? I'm sure there's some set of enemy behavoirs or RAW files where you can add a value like "DECAP_IMMUNE=LIFE>%50" or something.

I say there shouldn't be any decap bullcrap... its just ridicilously easy and boring, or if there must be, at least that they only can be decapped when less than 20% or 10% hp, 50% too much

Upvote 0